Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lowes vs Home Depot

tag
nbean
Regular Contributor

Lowes vs Home Depot

Both have many Labor Day sales and 24 month 0% promos, I decided to try to CLI my accounts. Lowes is a $17K CL and after numberous attempts at a CLI they denied me anything. Not even a counter. Home Depot is a $5,700 CL and after a hard pull =( and about 5 minutes CLI approved. New HD CL $20,700. I think I'll spend my money there this weekend. Fico at 723. 

First Ent Visa $21,800, Nasa PLOC $10K, Nasa CC $10K, Citi DoubleCash $12,200K, Penfed Promise $6K, Penfed Cash Rewards $5K, Total Rewards Visa $20K Lowes $35K QuickSilver CapOne WM $20K United Chase VS $2,800 Hyatt Chase VS $2,800 TJMaxx Mastercard $8K Barclays Rewards $3,700, Pier One $8,500 Walmart MC $8K Kohls $3K, Overstock $8,900, Discover $8K, Home Depot $20,700, JCP $10K, Victoria's Secret $5K, Ballard $10K, WilliamsSonoma Visa $11K, Grandin $4K, Banana Republic Visa $6K, Avianca Vida $25K, BoA $15K,BoA 3-2-1 $7,500
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
washpadude
Regular Contributor

Re: Lowes vs Home Depot

Same situation here, although much lower limits. I have had Lowes for 9 months, $300 limit, used many times and PIF. Requested CLI online, denied, called Credit Solutions, denied. Just opened Home Depot card online, approved for $500, called immediately and asked for $3,000 and my wish was granted. Looks like we will both be shopping at Home Depot this weekend.

BK CH7 Discharged 03/2015
FICO8 EQ-657 TU-657 EX-665
Revolving credit lines 125k.
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had gotten both of my Lowes ($300) and Home Depot ($500) cards in November of last year. They both were declined for higher limits when I received them. So, I did not use them for awhile because of the low limits.

Then, Synchrony started handing out clis like candy this year. But, if you read other threads, they have been on lockdown recently. But, before all of that happened, I did manage to get my $300 Lowes card to $6000. At that time in March, my TransUnion was at 664.

I also asked in March, for a cli for my Home Depot card. I wanted them to match my Lowes. They did one better! It is now at $6500. Even though it was a hard pull, it was worth it. I do not need anymore than that. They also pulled TransUnion, which I was surprised. Because they pulled Experian for the card itself. And, Citibank is known to be conservative. Believe me...I can't get any other cards from them..lol!! 😃
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm surprised with 720's scores you can't get Lowe's to bump you up.

My TU score was 730 when I applied for Lowe's, was approved for $3k and I called Credit Solutions and had it immediately increased to $30k.  I probably could have gotten $35k (as several others with my score have) but felt $30k was more than adequate.

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lowe's will open up the floodgates several months from now which is not what you want to hear when you want to hit that big Labor Day sale. Home Depot does HP increases for the most part. That Lowe's card will be good for the long game. Congrats on New accts
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I had gotten both of my Lowes ($300) and Home Depot ($500) cards in November of last year. They both were declined for higher limits when I received them. So, I did not use them for awhile because of the low limits.

Then, Synchrony started handing out clis like candy this year. But, if you read other threads, they have been on lockdown recently. But, before all of that happened, I did manage to get my $300 Lowes card to $6000. At that time in March, my TransUnion was at 664.

I also asked in March, for a cli for my Home Depot card. I wanted them to match my Lowes. They did one better! It is now at $6500. Even though it was a hard pull, it was worth it. I do not need anymore than that. They also pulled TransUnion, which I was surprised. Because they pulled Experian for the card itself. And, Citibank is known to be conservative. Believe me...I can't get any other cards from them..lol!! 😃

They are really on lock down.  I'm stuck at $300 with lowes and everytime I try for the past 7 weeks the people in the Philippines  give me a BIG FAT NO!  I refuse to shop at lowes untill they wake and give me an increase!

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Once your TU score gets to 680-700 I'm fairly confident you'll be able to achieve a CLI to somewhere in the $5k-$10k range.

Message 7 of 15
bobbay
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Lowe's will open up the floodgates several months from now which is not what you want to hear when you want to hit that big Labor Day sale. Home Depot does HP increases for the most part. That Lowe's card will be good for the long game. Congrats on New accts

Why what changes in a couple of months?  When and why do the floodgates open?

Current Score: EX 712 4/28/15, TU 713 4/14/14 lender pull, EQ 723 9/16/15, 740 EQ bankcard 8 6/1/15 lender pull
Last app 03/12/17

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

That was my experience. I got the Lowes card to get appliances for the new house.  Only got a $1k SL (needed $2k to get what I needed to buy).  Got the card up to $6k before Synch got all scared and put the breaks on everything.

Waiting for them to get through the skittish investors and go back to giving out (reasonable would be best for us all) CLIs

Message 9 of 15
bobbay
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That was my experience. I got the Lowes card to get appliances for the new house.  Only got a $1k SL (needed $2k to get what I needed to buy).  Got the card up to $6k before Synch got all scared and put the breaks on everything.

Waiting for them to get through the skittish investors and go back to giving out (reasonable would be best for us all) CLIs

If that is the rationale then why woul it only take a few months for the credit system to contract and bottom out last time was at least 2 years...

image.png

Current Score: EX 712 4/28/15, TU 713 4/14/14 lender pull, EQ 723 9/16/15, 740 EQ bankcard 8 6/1/15 lender pull
Last app 03/12/17

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.