Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Merrick Visa Card Approval - CK said approval odds were N/A

tag
kennerchick
Frequent Contributor

Merrick Visa Card Approval - CK said approval odds were N/A

Hi everyone, haven't been on here in a long time.  I've actually been dealing with some things.  I haven't applied for any credit cards since December, however I haven't really paid it down either. Smiley Sad  I'm glad I was approved for the Merrick card, however, I don't understand how my husband's prequalification said they couldn't find a card for him and his credit is better than mine!

My EX fico went down to a 486! Smiley Sad  His is a 573! These scores are based on https://www.creditscorecard.com/FICOSCORE.

Starting all over again!
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Merrick Visa Card Approval - CK said approval odds were N/A

Be very, very careful with Credit Karma recommendations.

They generally just recommend any card whose issuer is willing to pay them for ad space, with a slight nod to the particular card's general approval range.

Problem is, CK has no idea what your actual FICO score is, only your crazy Vantage score.  Which basically none of the card issuers actually use to make decisions.

I know Merrick used to be invite-only back in the day, not sure if they've changed that but when I had one years and years ago you had to get a letter from them, you couldn't just apply on a whim.

If he wants to check prequals, have him check Capital One or maybe Discover (he might be able to get in on their secured program with his score, if he hasn't burned them).  Go directly to the card issuers' websites.  

With scores that are fragile like the ones y'all have right now, be careful on applying for too much or on taking a bad account (like Credit One or First Premier) just because.  The costs for those can get folks in trouble, and racking up a bunch of inquiries on things you probably aren't ready for can hurt your scores and your chances down the line.  Maybe look into a secured product if you can't get a prequal for a Capital One Platinum or QS1.

Message 2 of 3
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Re: Merrick Visa Card Approval - CK said approval odds were N/A

I thought Merrick was by invitation only ? I didn't know you could just app for it ?
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.