Did you mean: 

Merrill+ Visa $50k Bonus Approved

tag
cmm89
Frequent Contributor

Re: Merrill+ Visa $50k Bonus Approved

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@BronzeTrader wrote:

Other than the 50k bonus, this card is essentially useless.  I hope BA can make this card a premium card, even higher than its new Premium Rewards card.

It really depends.  If someone isn't married to a particular rewards program or doesn't care to navigate rewards at all, it's essentially a no-fee 2% card for travel redemption.  And it truly is targeted to those that would meet the spending requirements for Plus Level - and that gets you either a $200 travel credit or free ($745 value) Executive Delta Sky Club membership.  It's just too bad that since many will qualify for Platinum Honors that the card's not included for the 75% bonus!  If that were the case, a no-AF 3.5% on everything travel card would be a no-brainer daily driver for anyone who could meet that criteria!

ETA: After typing all of that out, I think this card just became a contender for me down the road if the SPG/Marriott combo doesn't go as well as we all hope.

Jump on it quick, K-i-B -- there are some rumors BoA/ML is shutting it down next month...

I just got the card yesterday, and it looks unreal. The photos online don't do it justice. But I also really want that welcome bonus!

What I use (& strongly recommend): Chase Sapphire Reserve | BofA/ML (Premium Rewards VS, Cash Rewards VS, Merrill+ VS) | AmEx (Amazon Prime Business)

What I have: NFCU | PenFed | General Electric CU | Wright Patt CU | Discover | BBVA | Apple Card (GS)

Total CL with Bank of America = $100,000 (Platinum Honors Merrill Client). I am a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ practitioner, so feel free to message me if you have any planning/credit questions.

EQ 759, EX 765, TU 771 (06/10/2022)

I started with scores in the 400s in 2016. This forum is a Godsend--focus on the journey, be patient, and you'll definitely get there no matter the circumstances!

Message 21 of 25
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@BronzeTrader wrote:

Other than the 50k bonus, this card is essentially useless.  I hope BA can make this card a premium card, even higher than its new Premium Rewards card.

It really depends.  If someone isn't married to a particular rewards program or doesn't care to navigate rewards at all, it's essentially a no-fee 2% card for travel redemption.  And it truly is targeted to those that would meet the spending requirements for Plus Level - and that gets you either a $200 travel credit or free ($745 value) Executive Delta Sky Club membership.  It's just too bad that since many will qualify for Platinum Honors that the card's not included for the 75% bonus!  If that were the case, a no-AF 3.5% on everything travel card would be a no-brainer daily driver for anyone who could meet that criteria!

ETA: After typing all of that out, I think this card just became a contender for me down the road if the SPG/Marriott combo doesn't go as well as we all hope.

Not really.  For $50,000 spending to reach Plus levle, you get 1% reward, so it is $500.  With the $200 + $745 travel club, you get a total of $1,445 total travel rewards.

But with CSR, you get $50,000 x 3% x 1.5x = $2,250 total travel rewards.  And the $300 travel credit and travel club are not even included.  

The Merrill + is not even in wallet most of the time.....

Message 22 of 25
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@cmm89 wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

blah blah blah edited for space

Jump on it quick, K-i-B -- there are some rumors BoA/ML is shutting it down next month...

I just got the card yesterday, and it looks unreal. The photos online don't do it justice. But I also really want that welcome bonus!

The card or just the signup bonus?  Wish I could, honestly.  I've got a few years to go before I get out of debt and start to sock away retirement and savings, likely with Merrill Edge.  I have heard that it's an incredible looking card in person.

@BronzeTrader wrote:

Not really.  For $50,000 spending to reach Plus levle, you get 1% reward, so it is $500.  With the $200 + $745 travel club, you get a total of $1,445 total travel rewards.

But with CSR, you get $50,000 x 3% x 1.5x = $2,250 total travel rewards.  And the $300 travel credit and travel club are not even included.  

The Merrill + is not even in wallet most of the time.....

Using points against airfare purchases would be 2% instead of 1%, though. So $50k of spend would be $1,000 airfare + $200 credit with no annual fee.

I wouldn't spend $50k a year on dining and travel alone (the 3% / 3 UR categories), so more realistically my average earn rate would probably be closer to about 1.75% if I used the F/FU/CSR trio.  That's $875 without the UR portal multiplier (I prefer to book directly with airlines) + $300 credit with a $450 AF.  $725 net vs $1200 net for non-portal redemption, or $1162.50 net on the CSR for portal redemption.  Of course that math can all go out the window if Chase ends up nerfing the ability to transfer UR points from F/FU cards to CSP/CSR.

I'm considering the Delta Sky Club membership a perk with no monetary value above.  That actually would give me value, though, whereas I'm not going to get any better access with CSR than my Amex Platinum.  All in all, I'm not disagreeing with you that the CSR can be a better card with the right spend and circumstances.  I also have my doubts as to whether Chase would give me adequate credit lines for my level of spend whereas I see no issues with BOA.  That's not a universal circumstance, though.  I know there are plenty of people here with larger Chase exposure than my BOA exposure.

Wordy reply almost over!  I said it looks like it's a contender, which I already knew the CSR was for me.  Something better could come along between now and then, or better yet I'll be able to keep the same effective earn rates that I have now with Marriott and then I'm really happy!

Message 23 of 25
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

Got the card in the mail today, it's nicer than the pictures let on which is a plus! Interest rate is 15.99%, not sure what the range is on this one or if they are all the same. I'm a PIF kinda guy so doesnt bother me. 

I do have the CLI link online. Anyone think it's worth a push or do you think it would prompt another HP? I'm not desperte for it but if the odds are in my favor it couldn't hurt to at least entertain the idea. I still dont have a HP showing up for this card and don't expect one by this point considering i've already received and activated the card. 

she's a looker..

Screen Shot 2017-08-21 at 7.38.07 PM.png

Message 24 of 25
credit_endurance
Valued Contributor

@credit_is_crack wrote:

Got the card in the mail today, it's nicer than the pictures let on which is a plus! Interest rate is 15.99%, not sure what the range is on this one or if they are all the same. I'm a PIF kinda guy so doesnt bother me. 

I do have the CLI link online. Anyone think it's worth a push or do you think it would prompt another HP? I'm not desperte for it but if the odds are in my favor it couldn't hurt to at least entertain the idea. I still dont have a HP showing up for this card and don't expect one by this point considering i've already received and activated the card. 

she's a looker..

Screen Shot 2017-08-21 at 7.38.07 PM.png

If you look at my post earlier I was able to bump mine up to where your limit is without even receiving the card. I still have the luv button as of now very tempted to hit it again. Edit: Just realized you haven't seen a go yet show. Probably would be a go for that request.

Starting FICO08 Scores 2016 All in the mid 500’s
Current FICO08 Scores SEP 2023 (TU 834) (EQ 831 (EXP 831)

“The credit is no longer bruised, it has endured the test of time” (formally know as bruisedcredit)

Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.