cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mom just arrived at US, what card to apply?

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Mom just arrived at US, what card to apply?

Did she have an Amex in her home country?   If so, they have a program where the card can be "transferred" to an equivalent one here, which is great for credit history.

Message 11 of 20
go_FICO_self
Frequent Contributor

i don't mean getting main user's member since date, but when applying for your own amex, get the backdate to when you were AU.

@WNA888 wrote:

@go_FICO_self wrote:

@gr33nsuit wrote:

Just sponsored my mom over to America, therefore she just gotten her SSN in August. I was wondering what cards should I apply for her, I can cosign if needed for her. I opened up PenFed "restricted account" and Chase Total Checking for her last month. Thanks guys, any advice is welcome and appreciated!

treat her like a child. Smiley Wink which is: make her AU on your card(s). preferably amex for backdating purposes. after 6 months or so, once her score generates, she can apply for her own accounts.

AMEX stop backdating AUs quite a while ago man

Message 12 of 20
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@go_FICO_self wrote:

i don't mean getting main user's member since date, but when applying for your own amex, get the backdate to when you were AU.

@WNA888 wrote:

@go_FICO_self wrote:

@gr33nsuit wrote:

Just sponsored my mom over to America, therefore she just gotten her SSN in August. I was wondering what cards should I apply for her, I can cosign if needed for her. I opened up PenFed "restricted account" and Chase Total Checking for her last month. Thanks guys, any advice is welcome and appreciated!

treat her like a child. Smiley Wink which is: make her AU on your card(s). preferably amex for backdating purposes. after 6 months or so, once her score generates, she can apply for her own accounts.

Pretty sure that is NOT the case. 

Message 13 of 20
newhis
Valued Contributor

I got Discover with no credit history and no credit cards. I talked with them on the phone, explained that I'm just starting building my credit in USA and that I have good credit history in my home country.

After sending my ITIN, ID, address verification, they approved with $1,000 and 3.99% intro APR, they were sorry that they can't approve the 0%, anyway I always PIF. After 6 statements now is at $2,500 (SP with luv button).

My DW got the student version for only $500, after 7 statements still at $500 and to do a CLI they ask for HP. She declined, knowing that they will not increase her limit much. Saving thos HP for better things.

Message 14 of 20
gr33nsuit
Valued Member

thanks guys, these are very informational. I applied for joint application for discover but they denied it. Where's the best place for secure credit card?

BARCLAY FICO: 782 12/12/14
DISCOVER FICO: 783 12/12/14
|Amex Blue $32,400 |Discover IT $28,000 |Usbank Cash+ $25,000 |Chase Freedom $23,700 |CSP $18,000 | Citi DoubleCash $16,500 |PenFed Cash Rewards $16,000 |SallieMae $12,500 |Citi Costco $12,000 |Citi Forward $8,000 |Quicksilver $4,200 |StateFarm CC $4,000
Start of Gardening 12/13/14
Message 15 of 20
uswala
Senior Contributor

One of my friend got Bank of America credit card when he just came to US. He talked to the local branch and they helped him get it. May be you can talk to a branch near you.

Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@WNA888 wrote:

@go_FICO_self wrote:

@gr33nsuit wrote:

Yes but she will at least have a 2014 MSD

Message 17 of 20
gr33nsuit
Valued Member

sorry, what is MSD?

BARCLAY FICO: 782 12/12/14
DISCOVER FICO: 783 12/12/14
|Amex Blue $32,400 |Discover IT $28,000 |Usbank Cash+ $25,000 |Chase Freedom $23,700 |CSP $18,000 | Citi DoubleCash $16,500 |PenFed Cash Rewards $16,000 |SallieMae $12,500 |Citi Costco $12,000 |Citi Forward $8,000 |Quicksilver $4,200 |StateFarm CC $4,000
Start of Gardening 12/13/14
Message 18 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Member. Since. Date.

Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Try capital one or add her as A U on your accounts.
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.