Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage lender said I needed more cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mortgage lender said I needed more cards

I am getting close to my target scores and have had all but 1 baddie removed. I am trying to buy a house and discussing the ways to get my credit to the pre approval score. He recommended trying to get some pre-approvals on cards and open some more available credit. I have been on this forum a long time but never actually posted because I never got approved because I was stupid with credit when I was younger. The score is getting better but not there yet.

Approvals today:

My 2nd Capital 1 card with $800 limit

Shopping Cart Trick

Victoria's Secret $350 - The wife loves that store

Express - $250

I know these are all very low, but it is a star for me. Never had anything like this happen.

BTW - All Fico scores hovering around 610

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Mortgage lender said I needed more cards

@Anonymous wrote:

I am getting close to my target scores and have had all but 1 baddie removed. I am trying to buy a house and discussing the ways to get my credit to the pre approval score. He recommended trying to get some pre-approvals on cards and open some more available credit. I have been on this forum a long time but never actually posted because I never got approved because I was stupid with credit when I was younger. The score is getting better but not there yet.

Approvals today:

My 2nd Capital 1 card with $800 limit

Shopping Cart Trick

Victoria's Secret $350 - The wife loves that store

Express - $250

I know these are all very low, but it is a star for me. Never had anything like this happen.

BTW - All Fico scores hovering around 610

Congrats on the approvals.  Good luck with the mortgage.

Message 2 of 25
joedtx
Valued Contributor

Be careful with this don't go after store cards that ultimately will provide no long term purpose. Your lender is needing your to reach a certain CS in order to qualify you for purchase. Honestly your score is not too far off look closely at your needs and focus on those. If you need suggestions just ask.

Message 3 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@joedtx wrote:

Be careful with this don't go after store cards that ultimately will provide no long term purpose. Your lender is needing your to reach a certain CS in order to qualify you for purchase. Honestly your score is not too far off look closely at your needs and focus on those. If you need suggestions just ask.

Both of these cards can be used by my wife so I think they may help in the long term. I cannot get any pre-approvals on the major credit cards except capital 1 so I thought this was my next bet without getting inquiries added.

Message 4 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats..

Message 5 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I actually just looked at my reports again and the last baddie has not come off yet apparently. I have the letter from the original creditor stating that the account was sent to collections by mistake and there was a 0 balance. I also have the letter from the CA saying that the file was removed and the emails from the CRAs saying it had been deleted but it is still showing. Can't wait to see what that actually does.

Message 6 of 25
uswala
Senior Contributor

Congrats on the approvals!

Message 7 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a question for those of you viewing. I also got a pre-approved mailer from finger hut and I was wondering if this would also be a good one to take? I see that many have it on their profile.

Message 8 of 25
joedtx
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a question for those of you viewing. I also got a pre-approved mailer from finger hut and I was wondering if this would also be a good one to take? I see that many have it on their profile.

Unless Fingerhut will serve a purpose in otherwords if its something you would use prior to this issue. Your scores will start climbing with the recent lines you've added give it's hard to say where exactly it will put you scorewise but i'd suggest doing to a couple things. Check the prequal websites to see if you are prequalified for a card like chase it's a soft pull so no danger in it. Also, if you scores go up a bit you might want to consider a Barclay rewards its also an entry level card. I"m sure others might have suggestions on a card. When you applied for the Capone card did you check their prequal page?

Message 9 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have tried the prequal sites you have mentioned. I did try the prequal site with Capital One before applying because I knew about their 3 HP not matter what when you apply. I have the Capital One Platinum ($800) with them already but I figured I would try their prequal anyways and they gave me the Quicksilver ($800).

@joedtx wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Unless Fingerhut will serve a purpose in otherwords if its something you would use prior to this issue. Your scores will start climbing with the recent lines you've added give it's hard to say where exactly it will put you scorewise but i'd suggest doing to a couple things. Check the prequal websites to see if you are prequalified for a card like chase it's a soft pull so no danger in it. Also, if you scores go up a bit you might want to consider a Barclay rewards its also an entry level card. I"m sure others might have suggestions on a card. When you applied for the Capone card did you check their prequal page?

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.