cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Movin' on up! BCP approved 10k...SPG "wait 5 days and call us"??

tag
TheConductor
Established Contributor

Re: Movin' on up! BCP approved 10k...SPG "wait 5 days and call us"??

So I went for phase 2 of my spree. I had thought of applying for the CapitalOne Venture along with the Amex cards, but I noted that one of the things C1 says in their pop-up for "Excellent Credit" on the Venture's page is "I have had a loan or credit card for 3 years or more with a credit limit above $5,000"

So I figured my chances were actually better if I waited for the $10k backdated Amexes to report first, even if it meant apping with two extra inquiries.

And sure enough, waited for the Amex cards to ping on my report, and got instant approval on the Venture for $5k.   In addition, I apped for the Schwab high-yield checking (which denied me for credit score reasons a couple of years ago) and nailed that too.  So now I'm set for my upcoming foreign trip with a no-foreign-transaction-fee credit card and a checking account that will refund any foreign ATM fees.

At this point I'm pretty pleased with my wallet.  Ultimately I'd like to replace the Venture with a Barclay Arrival, but Barclay has been stingy about CLIs with me on the Apple Card so I decided that for now my chances were better with CapOne.  After some quality time in the garden, I'll think about apping the next round: Arrival, Amex Platinum, and Andrews FCU (to get chip and PIN).  For now, time to treat all these new accounts well and rack up my minimum spend for the SPG bonus.

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 11 of 15
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

congrats.

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Message 12 of 15
Irisa
Senior Contributor

Congrats on the approvals!

Message 13 of 15
TheConductor
Established Contributor

Well, as it turns out I pulled my latest reports from CreditSecure and saw absolutely no inquiries on them for the two Amex cards. I'd been mentally dinging myself for those because I'd trained myself to feel guilty for every app.  I'd totally forgotten Amex would just soft pull me for those apps as an existing customer. So all I've been dinged for this whole spree is the customary Capital One triple-pull and Schwab's pull on Equifax.

So I greedily decided to slip one more app in before locking the garden door for a while.  I confess: I am joyriding a bit on the delight of getting approvals for cards I used to covet. Smiley Wink

The 40,000 UR points from CSP were looking very attractive, so even though a year from now I'll need to do some triage to ensure I'm not doubling up on annual fees for the same benefits, I went ahead and apped.  $9200 credit limit, instant approval.  Great interest rate compared to most of the ones I've got, too! And for now, it fills a niche because it makes the UR points I have earned (and continue to earn) on the Freedom genuinely useful.

Approval came despite my having to honestly answer "yes" to  "Is your credit history clear from bankruptcies and/or seriously delinquent accounts?" because I still have about 10 months to go before the last chargeoff/serious delinquency remaining falls off.

OK, garden door is now firmly locked for a while.  Up next, 61-day CLIs on the Amex!

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 14 of 15
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Very nice! Chase has been handing out some nice approvals lately!
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.