cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My First Appstravaganza In Almost 2 Years!

tag
6speed
Valued Member

My First Appstravaganza In Almost 2 Years!

Whew! What can I say? I think it's been nearly two years since I've been on these boards. A lot has transpired (not one, but two big moves, career changes, etc.), and my credit almost became an afterthought again. I've spent the last six months in a new position with a new company that has afforded me some GREAT strides in my financial life, and over the past few days, the fruits of my labor have truly paid off. After two years of almost no movement (except a car loan with a meh interest rate from Toyota (with the help of a large chunk of money down) and Walmart and HHGregg Synchrony cards ($1000 each, back in May/June)), I got a tad trigger-happy once my newfound power was realized. This all started when I played with the "love" button on the Cap1 website and actually got a CLI on a card that's been sitting idle for a very long time. So I kept it going. This week's haul:

Existing:

Cap1 QS: $200 increase to $2200

Cap1 QS1: $250 increase to $1750. I paid this card off last week and will combine the CL with the regular QS once it reports $0 bal.

New:

DiscoverIt: $800 limit. This is my first "prime" card since I jacked my credit up in 2010. Didn't even attempt to fix it until end of 2013. I got declined for a Discover even back when my credit was good and I snagged an Amex, and man did this one feel good. I So I kept going... and going... and going...

Apple Finance/PayPal Credit: $2656 approved for new laptop purchase

USAA Cashback Rewards Amex: declined, but counteroffered with Classic Amex. $1000 limit.

NFCU cashrewards Visa: $2900; I have asked for a recon to $5000, but haven't received a decision yet. Still quite happy with an initial limit this "high".

NFCU Checking LOC: $7000 instant approval. This was the nicest surprise of all.

I also applied for a BofA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 and was declined due to a prior default from 2010 on a big $7000 balance Visa I had with them from 2007-2010. They counteroffered with the secured Cash Rewards Visa. I declined the offer, but they actually sent me yet another offer in the mail yesterday that expires in 30 days. I'm honestly nervous to give them my money for a security deposit, because I never paid the old CO even after it went to collections in 2010. I'd like to get back on FIA/BofA's good side (they were by FAR the most friendly to me with CLs and approvals way back when), but don't want to "throw away" money (I use quotes because really, I still owe them obviously). Anybody have any advice here? I may start a new thread regarding this situation.

Needless to say, I will be (aside from SP CLIs) in the garden until all of these inquiries fall off. This guy needs to buy a condo! Sorry for the longwinded nature of the post, but I just had to share my little bit of self-gloss since nobody in "real life" cares about things like this (not to mention money/credit is not what I'd call a polite topic of conversation).

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Pway
Valued Contributor

Re: My First Appstravaganza In Almost 2 Years!

Congrats on the exceptional progress you have made.  Keep up the good work.  It definitely pays off and in your case it paid off well.

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 2 of 26
MissMoni223
Senior Contributor

You're doing well, CONGRATS!!!

Gardening Until Further Notice
15 Credit Cards (12 Major Banks & 3 Store Cards)
Message 3 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Love stories like this. Congrats on your forward progress. Onward and upward! I'll have to subscribe to this thread. 

ALSO, I definitely gloated a little bit in real life about a couple of prime card approvals. The cards were just so shiny ... *shrug*

Message 4 of 26
creditguy
Valued Contributor

First off Big Congrats!!! You've done very well for yourself and have very good cards to grow great relationships and limits with, especially NFCU they have been very generous to my household and I expect you will grow very well with them. The BOA thing is your call and depends on how much you want to reestablish a relationship with them. If it were me I'd take the offer, there are people who would probably give their first born for that offer to reestablish with BOA, and considering your CO with them it's probably generous of them to offer you that. Anyway whatever you choose your doing great!!! Keep it up 😀
Message 5 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great news...ty for sharing details.

If you don't mind me asking...do you currently use NFCU, for your everyday banking...and did they ask for pay stubs on the instant approvals?

btw you will prob get the 5k limit, I got it with scores hovering around your score.

I went on my app spree last month...and kinda went over board...I'm ow in the Garden for 2 years.  I wish I would have stopped apping, at your point...you can prob garden for a year, and then try the cards you want again.

good luck be safe.

Message 6 of 26
6speed
Valued Member

Thanks everybody! I feel on top of the world right now. Funny how things like these can make you feel so great!

ookindadook: I've had Navy checking and savings accounts for about 2 years, give or take, and split my business directly in half between them and USAA. I will be moving the remainder of my checking account usage over to NFCU with these recent approvals - any bank that gives me the time of day like they have has truly earned my business, and I theirs. They did not ask for any paystubs with either application; I'm assuming because I've had direct deposit with them since account opening, but you never know. On the CL recon for the Visa Sig, I voluntarily submitted my last paystub to nudge them along in their decision.

I'll be keeping you guys updated as I continue along my journey here! Thanks again.

Message 7 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations!

Message 8 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations! I am going to do the same right after our house closes in a couple of weeks. My scores are "slightly" higher than yours and I was on the fence about apping for the Discover IT. Now, I think I'll give it a go! I read on here they are super finicky and have declined a number of people whose scores are higher. Good job landing them!

I've already been on the pre-qual sites and we have a long standing offer from BofA that we haven't taken advantage of because of the house, so I'll be apping for:

BofA cash reward

Barclay Cash rewards

Discover IT

Capital One (already have the QS, will look for QS1)

Sears (potentially buying our refrigerator and washer/dryer there so why not?)

I know I'll qualify for Credit One but I'm not sure I want that card. There are some rewards but if I get the others I just don't need it.

I hope I have the same luck you did!

Message 9 of 26
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Those BofA pre quals on their website are notoriously unreliable, don't put too much faith in them.
Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.