Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Recent Customer Retention Experience

tag
atd1970
Regular Contributor

My Recent Customer Retention Experience

I decided to clean house and close unwanted cards. Mt criteria for closing was any card with less than a $5,000 limit, or an interest rate over 15.99%. By closing cards my UTIL with not be a factor because I have no current CC debt. Additionally, because I have spent the last year rebuilding, my AAoA is only 10 months, so I am good for 10 years.

Barclay

Rewards- Rep did a PC to Arrival

NFL- Rep moved TL to new Arrival

Chase

Freedom- TL moved to CSP

Slate- TL moved to British Airways

Comenity

Closed 12 Store Cards, no offer, and no interest in dealing with this lender.

Capital One

Sony Card- Closed, no offer

Kohls- SP CLI to $5,000 (was going to sill close, but I like the discounts).

CITI

Home Depot- Offered $2,000 CLI, but no interest rate reduction (24.99%). Closed account

DP- Moved TL to American Airlines (I like the miles)

Synchrony

Walmart Mastercard- No offer, Closed acount (I only got this card because I wanted a Discover, now I have a Discover I no longer want it).

Lowes- Offered $1,500 CLI, closed account because of interest rate (22.99%)

PayPal Smart- No offer, closed account (never used)

Gap Store- Closed, no offer

Old Navy Store- Closed, no offer

Ebates- Closed, no offer

Amazon Sore- Closed account, no offer

Wells Fargo

Dillards Amex- Offered $1,000 CLI, closed card because of interest rate (22.99%)

I now have 12 remaining cards, average limit is $10,000, and interest is between 7.99% and 15.99%

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Re: My Recent Customer Retention Experience

That's fantastic!  Yay u!

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 2 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@atd1970 ,

Good work..  That is smart.

Message 3 of 29
TravellingNomad
Established Contributor

You were able to make citi transfer limts?...that's pretty good! What did you do/say to convince them to do that?

Congrats on the successful house (more like wallet and SD) cleaning.

Message 4 of 29
atd1970
Regular Contributor

CITI was tough. I thought they would offer a PC to Double Cash, but wanted to do a HP.

The American Airlines sees heavy use (i use the card for gas at work). I am unsure if the rep just gave me an CLI on the American Airlines, and closed the DP, or actually transferred the TL.

I guess it doesn't matter, the result was the same.

Message 5 of 29
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Now that's as fine a work of surgical precision as i ever seen. You're to be highly complimented on such a well ordered and decisive quality control operation.

Message 6 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good job and I think you made the right move in keeping open the Kohl's card.  That one is consistently rated as one of the top store cards and if you do shop there it certainly saves you money.

Message 7 of 29
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

@atd1970 wrote:

I decided to clean house and close unwanted cards. Mt criteria for closing was any card with less than a $5,000 limit, or an interest rate over 15.99%. By closing cards my UTIL with not be a factor because I have no current CC debt. Additionally, because I have spent the last year rebuilding, my AAoA is only 10 months, so I am good for 10 years.

Barclay

Rewards- Rep did a PC to Arrival

NFL- Rep moved TL to new Arrival

Chase

Freedom- TL moved to CSP

Slate- TL moved to British Airways

Comenity

Closed 12 Store Cards, no offer, and no interest in dealing with this lender.

Capital One

CITI

Home Depot- Offered $2,000 CLI, but no interest rate reduction (24.99%). Closed account

Synchrony

Walmart Mastercard- No offer, Closed acount (I only got this card because I wanted a Discover, now I have a Discover I no longer want it).

Ebates- Closed, no offer

Wells Fargo

Dillards Amex- Offered $1,000 CLI, closed card because of interest rate (22.99%)

I now have 12 remaining cards, average limit is $10,000, and interest is between 7.99% and 15.99%

Now THAT is the way to do it!

NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 8 of 29
atd1970
Regular Contributor

@ Irish80

I think the Kohls card has got a bad rap in the past. Kohls seemed to give toy limits, and no CLIs. However, Cap One seems a little more flexible as limits go.

Also Kohls, as a store, is one of the few that allow you to stack coupons, and this allows for huge savings.

Kohls also seems to have a very loyal customer base. I think if Cap One offered a Visa/Mastercard version of the card, it would do well.

Message 9 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@atd1970 wrote:

Comenity

Closed 12 Store Cards, no offer, and no interest in dealing with this lender. Smiley Surprised

Capital One

CITI

Synchrony

Ebates- Closed, no offer

Wells Fargo

I now have 12 remaining cards, average limit is $10,000, and interest is between 7.99% and 15.99% Smiley Happy

+1

Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.