Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My first spree

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My first spree

Decided to start rebuilding my credit. Have had no credit cards or loans for almost 6 years.

Picked up a secured credit card 4 months ago ($1k) and just completed my first spree. I tried apping for Chase but was declined due to my credit history not being long enough and my only outstanding credit being a single credit card. I tried a few other visas and mastercards but was declined.

I decided to just app for almost anything so I can get a small stack of cards and let them age, ensuring future credit apps won't impact by AAoA.

Discover: Approved 8k
Wal-mart Visa: Approved $200 (lol, it's a start)

Newegg.com store card: Approved $900

Chevron gas card: Approved $800

Exxon gas card: Approved $700

Three different Comenity store branded cards, each approved @$300

Kohls: Approved $600

So 7/9 cards are store cards but I figure in 4-6 months, I'll be able to start getting some decent cards.

As a datapoiint, my income is $140K but I've just been paying by cash or debit for years.

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
peghede
Valued Contributor

Re: My first spree

Congrats m8

Message 2 of 24
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Congrats on the spree there!

Message 3 of 24
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Decided to start rebuilding my credit. Have had no credit cards or loans for almost 6 years.

Picked up a secured credit card 4 months ago ($1k) and just completed my first spree. I tried apping for Chase but was declined due to my credit history not being long enough and my only outstanding credit being a single credit card. I tried a few other visas and mastercards but was declined.

I decided to just app for almost anything so I can get a small stack of cards and let them age, ensuring future credit apps won't impact by AAoA.

Discover: Approved 8k
Wal-mart Visa: Approved $200 (lol, it's a start)

Newegg.com store card: Approved $900

Chevron gas card: Approved $800

Exxon gas card: Approved $700

@Anonymous different Comenity store branded cards, each approved @$300

Kohls: Approved $600

So 7/9 cards are store cards but I figure in 4-6 months, I'll be able to start getting some decent cards.

As a datapoiint, my income is $140K but I've just been paying by cash or debit for years.

I think it is better to start with a couple solid credit cards.  With your Discover, get an AmEx BCE.  Then grow from there.  I do not think the cards you get are of any use to you.  You can't use any of the store cards for anything outside the stores.  Also, a lot of the card banks care less about your AAoA, but your overall credit profile.

Still a good start.

Message 4 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is an excellent spree. Congratulations!

Message 5 of 24
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Theres Discover for youSmiley Wink.  Im curious when did you app all those store cards ?  I ask because its not really a good idea to app spree Synchrony  in a short period, nor for Comenity. They both can lead to different result, ie blue envelope and or account freezing and closing with Comenity. Not saying itll happen but just be aware.  Congrats on your approvals, what were your Fico scores if you dont mind sharing? Thank you.

Message 6 of 24
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

Theres Discover for youSmiley Wink.  Im curious when did you app all those store cards ?  I ask because its not really a good idea to app spree Synchrony  in a short period, nor for Comenity. They both can lead to different result, ie blue envelope and or account freezing and closing with Comenity. Not saying itll happen but just be aware.  Congrats on your approvals, what were your Fico scores if you dont mind sharing? Thank you.

This is good point. I did not think about this. Sprees can raise red flags.

Message 7 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your rebuild.  Keep at it.

Message 8 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Before the first app, my FICO (according to the algorith Wells Fargo uses) was  666 [ominous music]

Obviously with all the hard inquiries recorded, I'm expecting an immediate substantial drop off but that's ok since I'm just going to chill for a few months.

Message 9 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover was a good hit. Two gas cards? 3 Comenity cards with toy limits and the risk of closure? Wally world?

IMHO, you could have applied and received better cards. BCE and others.

Don't get caught in toy limit hell. Jump in the garden and wait 6 months to a year. Too many store cards could be a pimple on your butt. Forget about them.

Don't just apply for anything you can get your hands on. You will regret it in the future.
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.