Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My succesful CR spree

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My succesful CR spree

I started with a score around 630 with a BOA credit card maxed at 1500, a capital one at 1500 maxed out, and a bestbuy 500 (citi) card, amazon synchrony 1800,.. average age 3,5 and oldest card (BOA) 5 years...

I paid off the capital one and BOA and my score shot up to 730+ ... 

I applied for a CLI on my BOA card and got 6.5K approved (TU pull)
I applied for Chase Unlimited Freedom and got approved with 7 K (TU pull)
I applied for Citi Diamond Preffered and got approved with 4K (TU Pull)
I applied for a CLI with amazon and they put it at 2500 (no pull, or Experian)
I applied for a CLI with BestBuy, asked for 4k, and got it. (TU pull)
Lastly, I got ballsy and figured out that Chase should be pull Equifax based on the state/card etc combo I researched, so I applied for Chase Sapphire Preferred.. and got approved for 12K (Equifax pull)

Now I have 3 inquiries on TU, 1 on EQ and 3 (As far as I know) on Experian.

I'm pretty much done now, except I want a CLI on the capital one, which they upgraded from platinum to quicksilver.. but a payment was returned so they've been denying me. I've been paying off my balance and hope after one more payment I can try again. They just do soft pull.

I'm pretty happy about this.. I went from 6K credit overall to 37.5K... and the capital one might get me a bit higher, though I expect at most a doubling of my credit line there.

Anyone got any tips? My average age of credit is tanking due to 3 new cards.. so I'm looking to have my father in law add me as an authorized user. My wife has a similar situation and will repeat this process for her (more or less). Ah, and I'd like to thank you guys here as before I did this I learned a lot from reading this forum. Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My succesful CR spree

that is awesome! fico scores or fako?

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I used free credit monitoring services (Amazon, BOA, CapitalOne, CreditOne (closed that one) ) and sites that give scores as well. BOA/Amazon allow Fico tracking. It was 732. My Experian (Through Creditone) was even 781. Not sure about now. I dropped on Transunion to 712 and something similar on Experian. I am waiting for the Chase Sapphie, which will really make util very low.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't believe low utilization helped you that much that's crazy. I have really high util right now and my scores stayed relatively the same so I'm guessing my scores were trying to improve but the utilization kept it down
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

, Re: My succesful CR spree

Yep, the low util did miracles.

Capital One denied me again, though. I'm pretty miffed. I'll make another payment this month (full balance) and hopefully it'll get through. When I paid off my balance in October, BOA hadn't fully credited some cash I deposited, so the payment for Capital One bounced. And now all the CLIs letter say they are denying me because of a bounced payment... even though it was repeated 24H later and went through. Sigh.

Message 5 of 13
surferchris
Valued Contributor

Congrats!

Current Cards:
AmEx Hilton Honors Surpass//AmEx Platinum Card//Ann Taylor Rewards Mastercard//Capital One Platinum Card//Credit One AmEx//Credit One Platinum VISA//Fingerhut//Navy More Rewards AmEx//TruWest Platinum VISA//Aspire VISA//Costco Anywhere VISA//Lowes Advantage//Apple Card
Loans:
1 Mortgage/////Navy FCU Auto Loan (2020 Jaguar I-Pace)//Capital One Auto (2016 BMW i3)
Next Cards (4th QTR 2022):
Navy Flagship Rewards VISA//Chase Sapphire Preferred
Stats:
Scores: 700's // Inq's: 1 for mortgage // Util: 1% // AoOA: 21 yrs

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called CapitalOne and tried to tell him the 1.5K limit is really silly and their reason for declining my CLI as well, but I couldn't convince them to do anything. They said I could wait as long as 6 months since the returned payment in September to apply for a CLI again.What happened with the declined payment, by the way, was that the balance showed more than enough to make 1.5K payment, but apparently the deposit/write was still "processing" (below in the transaction list) and so it bounced. For this frivolous reason I can't get a CLI at CapOne for 6 months. Sigh.

I got a bit frutrated and applied for CapOne Venture...I got approved with 5K. Hoped for a better limit and it was a bit stupid to do now. So now I'm at 42.5K and definitely done. Will now just make good payments and see about CLI's in 3-6 months. 

Message 7 of 13
ambivalent
Established Contributor

That's amazing!  Congratulations!!!

Aiming for 700 across FICO 8 and $150K TCL
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had Citi Diamond Preferred considered for an immediate CLI, got it. Went form 3900 to 7500. Smiley Happy ( Correction: pulled Experian)

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anybody have any tips about what to do next? I am waiting for my scores to update and activate all cards I got (venture/sapphire)... I get that I should focus on gardening now. Any other tips? Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.