Did you mean: 

NFCU Approval!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU Approval!!!

@Anonymous wrote:

What do you mean by "inquiry happy"?

I believe others have already answered but since you asked me I will respond as well.

Inquiry happy meaning that everything you apply for at NFCU will result in a new hard inquiry as opposed to some other credit unions (namely PenFed) that will use the same inquiry for up to 90 days (PenFed may have reduced that to 30 days now) for additional products.  

Message 21 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Seems like an excess to do a HP for each if you apply for membership and a CC at the same time, or membership and car loan at the same time.

I guess I can see different pulls for CC and car loans. Not really sure why NFCU and PenFed do a HP for membership anyway.

It's been my observation that most CUs do not do a pull for membership, just for CCs and loans, at least not here in Texas.

Message 22 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't say that when I started with RBFCU over 10 years ago that they pulled any report to open up my account. I do think that it is starting to become standard for any bank to pull your report when opening up a checking account. But I also think a lot of banks are starting to pull reports to get an initial assessment of your credit worthiness if you attempt to get other products with them right off the bat.

I assume they have to at least do a SP in order to verify your identity when opening up accounts because most of the time they will have you verify info off your report.

Message 23 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ive always been of the impression that banks use picture IDs to verify identities, and only check creditworthiness when they are making a decision as to whether to extend credit/loans. Why would a bank need that just for opening a checking account or buying a CD (somebody must still buy them, as I understand they still exist). 

Message 24 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Was there in difficulty getting approved because your grandfather served? Did you have to provide discharge papers, etc. My wife had 3 brothers and a grandfather serve. 

Do you think it was unusual for you to be approved or it was normal policy and you were welcome. Did you apply in person? Really we can get approved.

Regards

Message 25 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called over the phone and I had no issues at all. They were very nice over the phone and also told me it was completely normal to get my account open because my grandfather served.

They didn't really ask me any info about him to be honest and what they did ask was just if he was still alive or not and what branch of military he served as well.

I had additional info if they needed it but they didn't ask me. I figured maybe down the road they might but who knows?

Overall, the experience was quick and simple!
Message 26 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU does not participate in shared branching. This is a possible limitation in having access to accounts unless there is an actual NFCU branch in the area.

so has this caused issues for others when traveling to locations that do not have NFCU branches?

Message 27 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

NFCU does not participate in shared branching. This is a possible limitation in having access to accounts unless there is an actual NFCU branch in the area.

so has this caused issues for others when traveling to locations that do not have NFCU branches?

Ths is what I want to know. I signed up for direct deposit, so that's not an issue, I'll be SOL if I have a large sum of money to deposit. That's the only reason why I'm holding onto my Chase and OCCU accounts.

Message 28 of 35
Salrn
Established Member

Two pulls
Message 29 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called NFCU last night to see if I would be accepted for membership. The process couldn't have been more pleasant and easy. Prior to starting my application I did ask if they pull a credit report for membership and I was advised that they do, and that it's so that they can evaluate your creditworthiness for some of their products.

I was approved instantly based on the fact that my father served (no need for any identification for proof). I opened just a savings account and funded it immediately with the minimum $5 (yes, $5.00), that is all that they required and it never has to be more than that to keep your membership.

After that was done, I set up my online account and immediately applied for the cash rewards card and shut my eyes while awaiting what I anticipated to be a denial. Much to my surprise within less than a minute I was approved for $2,100!

The rest of my story is long. But basically started to rebuild in December with scores in the low 500's (and was as low as about 390 about 3 years ago)!

I was approved in December for Cap 1 QS1 - $300 asked for increase in April approved for additional $100 and in June auto increase to $750

Approved for 2nd QS1 card a few weeks ago, but just another $300 (that's ok, I will use it the same way and by December it will increase as well)

Opened a new BofA checking last week based on a mailer offering $200 for a new account (4 years ago couldn't get a checking account), did get a 2nd chance account and nursed it to great standings! While at BofA setting up Pin, I pulled the trigger and applied for their cash rewards and I was countered with the 99/500. I took it since it's a great way to break into Prime and only 99 to secure 500. Great rewards too.. 1% on everything, 2% groceries and 3% gas. I will use it to keep my tank full and PIF every month! I was shocked when I was approved

Got caught up in the SCT for Comenity Cards first week of June 2017 So in the past two months this is what I have:

SCT:

VS - $350

Loft - $500

JCrew - $250

Talbots - $300 (hard pull in store)

Pottery Barn - $2,000 (this one shocked me)

Williams-Sonoma - $1,000

Frontgate - $1,000

Boscovs - $1,000

Overstock - $1,000

Wayfair - $1,000

Cap 1 QS1 - $750

Cap 1 QS1 - $300

BofA - $500

NFCU - $2100!

I am done until I can request CLI and NO MORE STORE CARDS. Wish I could close some of them, but too early and I will use each one, one at a time for a small purchase and pay off.

Don't remember exactly what my three scores were at the beginning of all of this but definitely low 500's

Today:

EQ: 593

TU: 604

EX: 627

Waiting for next refresh and hoping for a nice jump!

Sorry to piggy back on this thread with the rest of my story, just haven't done it yet and thought I would put it out there!

Message 30 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.