cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU CLI request denied...then new card?!?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU CLI request denied...then new card?!?

Just when I think I have a slight grasp on things....

In the midst of a rebuild and have scores up to (671 EQ, 660 TU and 667 EX) from low 500's in about 6-8 months.  Joined NFCU and PenFed immediately and recieved a GoRewards Visa from NFCU (limit $4400) which I was absolutely astounded by;  it let me take care of some baddies and I have been paying it down to 0 each month looking forward to my 90 day CLI (In the interim, a tax lien hits my report); and get denied outright by PenFed.

Fast forward to day 92, I ask for a CLI from NFCU and was denied; also denied from PenFed for a card again.  I assume that it is because of the lien (despite increase of 40 points since joining) and figure I will need to hit the garden and address the lien before doing anything further regarding CLI or a penfed card. When I get my NFCU denial letter it says "account too new" and I feel renewed hope.  I apply again (day 96) and get denied again immediately. 

Log on the next day to NFCU to make a payment on the GoRewards card and figure screw it, apply for a Cash Rewards card......instant approval and a $15K limit!?!?  Needless to say, I am ecstatic....just confused by the entire process.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Sandman771
Valued Contributor

Re: NFCU CLI request denied...then new card?!?

Navy do what navy do. 

Starting Score: EQ497/TU496/EX 499
Currently: EQ 620 TU 654 EX 627
in the garden since 6/16/2021
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you get a HP for the second Navy app for the CLI and card?

Message 3 of 13
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just when I think I have a slight grasp on things....

In the midst of a rebuild and have scores up to (671 EQ, 660 TU and 667 EX) from low 500's in about 6-8 months.  Joined NFCU and PenFed immediately and recieved a GoRewards Visa from NFCU (limit $4400) which I was absolutely astounded by;  it let me take care of some baddies and I have been paying it down to 0 each month looking forward to my 90 day CLI (In the interim, a tax lien hits my report); and get denied outright by PenFed.

Fast forward to day 92, I ask for a CLI from NFCU and was denied; also denied from PenFed for a card again.  I assume that it is because of the lien (despite increase of 40 points since joining) and figure I will need to hit the garden and address the lien before doing anything further regarding CLI or a penfed card. When I get my NFCU denial letter it says "account too new" and I feel renewed hope.  I apply again (day 96) and get denied again immediately. 

Log on the next day to NFCU to make a payment on the GoRewards card and figure screw it, apply for a Cash Rewards card......instant approval and a $15K limit!?!?  Needless to say, I am ecstatic....just confused by the entire process.

Congratulations! This happens more often than people realize. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 4 of 13
Cherekas
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Did you get a HP for the second Navy app for the CLI and card?

Navy seems to HP for everything, in my experience! 

Score: F8 EQ 609, EX 597, TU 614 (1/17) Current Score: F8 EQ 701, EX 714, TU 689 (12/18)

Goal Score: 700+ across all 3--Gardening until May 2019
USAA Amex-USAA Rate Advantage VS- Amex Gold- Amex Delta Blue- Macys- NYC CC- Victoria's Secret- Cap 1 QS- NFCU CR- Care Credit- Firestone- Sams Club CC- Best Buy Visa- Paypal 2% MC

Total CL $96,300
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

There was a HP for the new card; there was not a HP for the CLI....which (after reading your quesion lead me to re-request the CLI based on the new HP)....the CLI is now "under review"

Message 6 of 13
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Sandman771 wrote:

Navy do what navy do. 

Amen to this.  ^^^

@Anonymous, sorry the CLI didn't work out but it looks like you ended up with the better deal, anyway!  Smiley Very Happy

Huge congrats on the new approval!  screamer.gif

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting. I was declined for my 91 day CLI on my platinum card with a HP but haven't received the letter yet to tell me why. Might be worth going for the Flagship (3rd) card if I can't get them to recon my CLI, just don't know if they'd HP me again twice in same week for the application.

Message 8 of 13
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Interesting. I was declined for my 91 day CLI on my platinum card with a HP but haven't received the letter yet to tell me why. Might be worth going for the Flagship (3rd) card if I can't get them to recon my CLI, just don't know if they'd HP me again twice in same week for the application.

You can plan on a new HP with any new NFCU apps, even if it's the very next daySmiley Frustrated

As awesome as they are, that's one thing I would change if I could. 

Message 9 of 13
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@Sandman771 wrote:

Navy do what navy do. 

+1

Just like Santa's bag, with NFCU you CAN expect the completely unexpected and come away with a big smile of satisfaction!

Congrats! and nice SL too!

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.