Did you mean: 

Navy Federal Credit Lines

tag
iCoop
Regular Contributor

Re: Navy Federal Credit Lines

@Creditaddict wrote:

Welcome back... now lets fix you up!:

1. Call barclay - 866-408-4064 direct into credit and give them social and ask them to reconsider your credit card decline

2. go online right now and click credit line increase on your credit card and request $25k - hopefully you will confirm the next screen and then get an instant counter back and take it!

2a. you can product change your card anytime you want, if you want the cash rewards which is 1.5% just call them and ask them to switch you over, easy and done but id do all cli online youself... if you get an error about a condition exists and to call, that is a browser issue, i suggest using firefox if on apple, clear history and cookies and do the request)

3. Apply to refi your auto loan right now (even if your cli goes pending, apply for auto loan, it's different department)

4. upon auto refi approval, then go apply for navcheck for the full $15k (they counter if they won't approve full amount)

I'll give you 15 minutes to do all that and get back to us here Smiley Tongue

I wish I would have came here years ago before doing #4. I opened navcheck lines of credit for both my checking accounts with NFCU but didn't request the max. I requested a measly $1K per account just to cover me if I ever needed it. Never used either account but it sure would have helped with utilization on my reports.

Starting Score: EQ 675 | TU 688 | EX 702
Current Score: EQ 795 | TU 788 | EX 770
Goal Score: 750 (Across All 3)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 36
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@iCoop wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

1. Call barclay - 866-408-4064 direct into credit and give them social and ask them to reconsider your credit card decline

2. go online right now and click credit line increase on your credit card and request $25k - hopefully you will confirm the next screen and then get an instant counter back and take it!

2a. you can product change your card anytime you want, if you want the cash rewards which is 1.5% just call them and ask them to switch you over, easy and done but id do all cli online youself... if you get an error about a condition exists and to call, that is a browser issue, i suggest using firefox if on apple, clear history and cookies and do the request)

3. Apply to refi your auto loan right now (even if your cli goes pending, apply for auto loan, it's different department)

4. upon auto refi approval, then go apply for navcheck for the full $15k (they counter if they won't approve full amount)

I wish I would have came here years ago before doing #4. I opened navcheck lines of credit for both my checking accounts with NFCU but didn't request the max. I requested a measly $1K per account just to cover me if I ever needed it. Never used either account but it sure would have helped with utilization on my reports.

well can't erase the past but you can fix it... go ask for CLI! (just go in like you want to apply for navcheck and then it will ask if you want new or cli on existing)

Message 12 of 36
joedtx
Valued Contributor

@leegreen wrote:

@joedtx wrote:

@ Pizza

Thanks for the encourging words. I had thought about contacting Barclays i'm still within 30 days. It's just when I was holding that denial letter and reading their reason it quickly deflated my hope and was a quick reminder of where I was. I really don't know what to say to them, after reading the letter I just had a sobering feeling and found myself researching threads on here for answers and experiences. I guess for the interim, i'll wait a month I just paid off my one cc with Navy it's a Nrewards card my hope is to get the CL increased i've never asked and it's at 1k. 

I'm really not sure where to start or in what order to approach these i've got 4 goals for Navy.

*Increase CL with existing card

*establish Navichecking Line

*refi my exisiting car loan which is at 13.9 to a lower rate with NFCU

*Not to be greedy establing at lease one other CC

Thanks again Pizza1

I would start with the most important...the refi. I would call and tell them where your score is and what your interest rate is and ask if their rate will beat it, better yet go to a branch and ask to see a banker. They may just tell you that they don't know but they could say our rate would be around X and then you can decide if the refi is right for you or not. I personally get better auto rates elsewhere because my EQ is my lowest score due to all of the NFCU inquiries.

Next either Navcheck or a CLI for your existing card, ask yourself which is more important to you and go there first. When you ask for the CLI do it online and ask for 25000, that is the max you can ask for and if you will approve for less they will give you as much as they can. With the Navcheck same theory ask for the full 15000 and see what they give you, they might shock you and give the full thing. 

Next do the other from above.

Last apply for the second card, I would suggest the cashRewards as it is a great card to have, 1.5% on every purchase, everyday. Don't be surprised if they deny it as you already went to max CC limit with your CLI. However, IF they deny it you then should log in and send a secured message asking them to split some amount of CC limit from your exsisting card to open the new card. They will normally do this and open you right up. 

*Edited for clarity

ieegreen

First let me say Thank you for your insight. I'm really taking in the input along with others to come up with a plan. Navy had taken a chance on me and i'm gonna stick with them. I still can't believe I had Wells Fargo for nearly 25 years and walked away with nothing but regrets.

Message 13 of 36
joedtx
Valued Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

Wow Creditaddict...... First let me say I've read so many of your posts you're famous the last one being something like 298 - 297 page range just amazing.

I do have some info to share as I'd like to weigh in on your thoughts and process.

I just checked my NFCU, and it still has a balance let me elaborate. My idea was I transfered my CC balance to a new cap one card since I just got it and they have 0% for one year with the idea being, pay off NFCU and apply for one of there products so they can see I have savings, checking and a zero balance, I just logged in and the NFCU balance has not been credited yet. The rep said the balance transfer takes around 10 days, I setup autopay with Cap One to payoff this balance in 5 mths as well.

You had mentioned I should go online and submit an increase as, well as apply as well, what about Navicheck i'm just making sure I understand the suggestions as well as your insight. Thanks again. 

Message 14 of 36
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@joedtx wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

Wow Creditaddict...... First let me say I've read so many of your posts you're famous the last one being something like 298 - 297 page range just amazing.

I do have some info to share as I'd like to weigh in on your thoughts and process.

I just checked my NFCU, and it still has a balance let me elaborate. My idea was I transfered my CC balance to a new cap one card since I just got it and they have 0% for one year with the idea being, pay off NFCU and apply for one of there products so they can see I have savings, checking and a zero balance, I just logged in and the NFCU balance has not been credited yet. The rep said the balance transfer takes around 10 days, I setup autopay with Cap One to payoff this balance in 5 mths as well.

You had mentioned I should go online and submit an increase as, well as apply as well, what about Navicheck i'm just making sure I understand the suggestions as well as your insight. Thanks again. 

yes do the cli online and apply for checking line of credit online.

Message 15 of 36
Zorasmiles
Established Contributor

Welcome back and good luck on either way you decide to go.  I'd like to share with you what CRA NFCU used last month with my credit applications.  They used TU for both of my credit pulls and did not touch any of the other CRA's.  I hope this bit of information doesn't prevent you from moving forward with a positive rebuilding plan.

FICO scores are your calling card to the business world. Build a negative reputation and those doors are hard to open, find that perfect balance of credit responsibility and those doors open when you desire them.
Message 16 of 36
Diegan_Sailor
Established Member

Please do as creditaddict suggested... NFCU will surprise you again.

Currently: NFCU cash rewards 10k, NFCU LOC 10k, Barclay Apple 5k, Amazon Visa Rewards 3k, Captial one quicksilver 1k, capital only platinum 1k, USAA Amex classic 1k,
Message 17 of 36
Zorasmiles
Established Contributor

NFCU UPDATE!!  NFCU pulled my EQ credit report for the LOC!  EQ has always been my lowest score, so I'd advise you to pull the trigger like CreditAddict stated.  Good luck

FICO scores are your calling card to the business world. Build a negative reputation and those doors are hard to open, find that perfect balance of credit responsibility and those doors open when you desire them.
Message 18 of 36
joedtx
Valued Contributor

@Zorasmiles wrote:

NFCU UPDATE!!  NFCU pulled my EQ credit report for the LOC!  EQ has always been my lowest score, so I'd advise you to pull the trigger like CreditAddict stated.  Good luck

Thanks Zorasmiles ....Good Luck on your LOC approval! I'm going to wait until my balance is at Zero then i'll apply as well. I'll post when I do.

Thanks all! 

Message 19 of 36
joedtx
Valued Contributor

Hi All,

And special thanks to all those who chimed in with encouraging words and suggestions. I am so pleased to announce I got an instant approval for 7k on my card I was so happy, it did ask if I wanted to ask for a consideration. I didn't want to be greedy and accepted. I did take the advice for applying for both a refi on my auto and CLI navicheck and it stated I would hear back within an hour, that was over 2 hours ago so I guess what my answer will be but they've treated me well so I'm loyal to NFCU and will be taking care of this account in the right way.

There is one looming question when should I apply for the next NFCU card it was a part of goals 

~2 cards from NFCU

~refi auto

~navicheck line

Also what card is recommended I have the Nrewards can I convert it to another product? Which 2 cards do you recommend?

THANKS! Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.