cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Advice! I Just Got Approved For AMEX Platinum!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need Advice! I Just Got Approved For AMEX Platinum!

First I'll start with my back story.  I have been lurking through the forum for about a 2 years learning as much as I can to improve my credit score. When I started 2 years ago to rebuild my credit I had a FICO score of 530. Since then I have raised my scores to TU 770, EQ 725, and EX 710. So thank you to everyone on the forum! Without this forum and the community I would not be in the position I'm in!

One of my credit goals has always been to get an Amex. Well, that day happened yesterday when I applied for the Amex Blue Cash Everyday, and was approved with a starting limit of $13,600. I was more than ecstatic for this accomplishment!  After getting the approval I decided  to use the trick I learned on here to apply for another Amex on the same day, and not get a second hard pull. I decided to try for the Amex Platinum, thinking it would be out of my reach. Low and behold, I was approved. I was not expecting that!

So here is my dilemma, I only travel 3 to 4 times a year and it's from SFO to Vegas, and maybe LA. The card has a $550 AF, which is a lot! The sign on bonus I received is 60k MR points as long as I spend $5k in 3 months. I have no problem being able to spend the $5k needed for this bonus. My question is should I keep this card? Being that I travel 3 times a year, is it worth having the card?

Thanks again, to everyone on the forum!

13 REPLIES 13
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

Re: Need Advice! I Just Got Approved For AMEX Platinum!

You should have asked the same question before you applied for this card.  It you seldomly travel, this is the wrong card for you.  You need to get the benefits more than the $550 AF you pay.  Keep the card for a year to see if it is the right one to keep.

I keep my AmEx Platinum card.  

Message 2 of 14
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

I guess the question would be have you done the math to determine if the Platinum is sustainable for the long term?

Aside from meeting the spend to obtain the SUB, did you research enough to determine if this card fit your lifestyle? Yes, it's a hefty AF for some folks. You mentioned you've lurked for a couple years and there's definitely been a lot of data points discussed on it.

It's a great product if you travel enough to offset the cost of the AF. Perhaps, if it doesn't meet your needs during the next AF renewal you can always downgrade to the PRG.
Message 3 of 14
Zolomon
Regular Contributor

Congratulations on the platinum!

I thought about signing up for the platinum myself, but opted for the gold which better matched my spending habits. Now if I were in your shoes, I'd reach that spend bonus and rake in that 60k MR. Then, feel the platinum out for a while. Right before the AF comes around, either keep the platinum if you find that you are traveling enough, or PC to Amex Gold. You may find that you gain more points gradually with the gold than using the platinum a few times on travel.

Personal cards:

Business cards:

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are correct I should of done the math for the long term. I just didn't think I would be approved for the Platinum. I was utilizing the 1 hard pull for 2 apps. I can definitely utilize the benefits of the card for the first year, and then downgrade before the next AF if I don't feel I will benefit from the Platinum.  Thanks for the advice!

Message 5 of 14
RicHowe
Valued Contributor

The AMEX Platinum is Platalicious!
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I feel it's worth applying for a new PRG with a 50k sub instead of PCing. You only earn those generous points once so it's worth waiting for good offers Smiley Happy 

Message 7 of 14
drboxing
Established Contributor

I have the Amex Platinum Business card and the perks are worth the annual fee for me, But if you don’t fly often then the card may not be worth it.

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

West501, good point!!!
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

CONGRATS!!! The Platinum Card from AMEX is amazing! Now, to answer your question of keeping the Platinum Card, ABSOLUTELY!!!!!

You are in the PERFECT position. Most folks get this card in hopes of being able to get to a Centurion Lounge. The two airports you mentioned SFO & LAS are each a location that has one. That alone would be a reason to keep the card. In addition to that you have the Priority Pass Select Lounge pass and if you’re flying Delta you get access to their lounge. In addition to that, you have endless perks from the card, some of which cannot have a price tag placed on them. Adding that to the $200 yearly UBER credit, Global Entry/TSA PreCheck credit, 5X MR points booking with an airline or through AMEX Travel, being able to transfer points to most airlines at a 1:1 ratio, I mean the list goes on and on.

My vote is to keep the card. Now ultimately you’d be making the decision but I hope I’ve been able to give some good information.

Good luck ☺️
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.