Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New CC Approval! YAY! CC updates

tag
NewbieReed
Frequent Contributor

New CC Approval! YAY! CC updates

As for my wallet, I have an NFCU nRewards card - opened in 12/2011 with a generous limit of $6K - I was in SHOCK when they offered such a generous CL to lil' ol' me. Smiley Happy

And I have a WFNNB/ NY&Co Store card - opened in 05/2012 with a limit of $400, which was bumped up to $800 in November without even asking for a CLI. 

I knew that I needed another CC before I go into the garden for a bit and Im thinking about getting a secured Cap 1 card or something like it, but after reading these threads & the ones in the CC side of the forums, I tried the shopping cart trick with Victoria Secret  - my 2nd favorite store on the planet-- and I was, to my surprise, approved with a $500 CL. I am VERY happy! I didn't know it right away though. I thought they'd forgotten about me since I apped on Dec 16th and didnt hear anything until yesterday. Definitely thought that I was denied. lol.

My util on my NFCU card is reporting at 4400 -very high, yes I know. But through the month of December, I've gotten it down to $2800, so when the statement is cut on the 3rd/they report to the CRA's my util will have gone down a LOT. The hope is to get it to 0% by the end of February, but with my extra job/extra cash I might be able to pull it off in time for the Feb 3rd Statement/reporting period. But with this utilization so high, I didnt think I would be approved for any major cards, which is why I  did the shopping cart trick for a SP, and its the same bank as the NY&Co card, but YAY! They were nice and approved me anyway. And it's all because of what I've learned in the forums!!! Smiley Happy

So all you ppl looking for more credit, be encouraged -- someone will love to offer credit to you!

I'd like to hear from you guys though-- those that are much, much more credit savvy than I. Do you think that i should still app for a major CC before I go into the garden for all of 2013? I'd like to maximize my score by minimizing my util and gardening for the whole year. The ultimate plan is to get good credit and purchase a home in 2015. 

Thanks for your help!!! 

Starting Score: 526 EXP 09/2012 600 FICO 10/2012 608 EX (lenderpull)11/2012
Current Score: 705 FICO TU (10/2014)Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

Re: New CC Approval! YAY! CC updates

Definitely don't get a secured credit card. It would be a step back for you since you already have an unsecured NFCU credit card.

Message 2 of 9
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

^^^^^^THIS
5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 3 of 9
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Considering your score it may be better to garden while doing whatever is possible to improve it. Another low limit card might not help things that much.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 9
NewbieReed
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the help, everyone!! I think that I will just be in the garden for 2013 then!

Message 5 of 9
GreatCreditFor2012
Contributor

Yea just garden for awhile. A low limit CC is ALMOST as bad as getting denied. IMO.

Message 6 of 9
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I'm glad that you got the card for a store you actually shop at! 

I agree with others who've suggested that you join the garden club Smiley Happy

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 7 of 9
NewbieReed
Frequent Contributor

I know, I see no sense in getting a card for a card where I wouldn't even step foot into the door. 

I'd like a wal-mart card as well - because it's practical, I shop there, and it gives the free TU, BUT I really dont think that I'd be approved for that card at all. 

Message 8 of 9
NewbieReed
Frequent Contributor

@GreatCreditFor2012 wrote:
Yea just garden for awhile. A low limit CC is ALMOST as bad as getting denied. IMO.

Really? that's a good point-- never thought about it like that. Thanks for your help!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.