Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Card approval Merrill Lynch +

tag
johnnie23g
Established Member

Re: New Card approval Merrill Lynch +

Yes I went through the same thing with calling them. I did like I was talking to the credit analyst while she was looking at my credit. I guess not too many people have them since they are a pain to apply for. I do love the bull on the card " since I work for a financial services firm " =)

experian -725 5/21/2012 Equifax- 734 Trans Union 725 3/31/2012
Trans Union Discover HP - 766 8/31/12

CC- Amex Blue 24.5g, Merrill Lynch + 25k, Chase Freedom 3.5g, Discover 6g, Citi Diamond Prefered 5.9k, Citi Sears 6k, Home Depot 5k

Charge Card- Home Depot 5k,
Message 11 of 26
WarJar101
Frequent Contributor

Hey, guys I just had a few questions regarding this card.

How is the approval process? Do you have to have some affiliation with BofA? What credit profile is minimum for approval you think? Do you apply online or is it recommended to call in and apply?

Thanks.

Rebuilding...been out of the game for a minute. Now, after suffering I'm back with greater wisdom. Scores: Currently @ around 6 teens to 20's, across all three EQ,TU, EX
Message 12 of 26
searchingfor67
Established Contributor

+1...I would like to know as well!
TU FICO: 772 (Discover) • Exp FICO: 772 (Citi)

Amex BCE $13K | Amex Costco TE $10.4K | Amex SPG $5K | Chase Freedom Visa Signature $15K | Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15K | Chase Ink Plus World Elite MC $5K | Citi TY Preferred World MC $10.1K | Citi Forward $10K | Citi Diamond Pref $7.6K | Discover IT $9.9K | JP Morgan Chase Select Visa Signature $9.2K | NFCU CashRew Visa Sig $25K | NFCU LOC $15K | NFL Visa Signature (Saints) $8.1K | USAA Amex $11.3K | USAA World MC $11.5K
Message 13 of 26
danielodonoll
New Contributor

Ok whats the info?

Citi Bank X2/ 29k-USAA Amex/Mastercard 24k-PP Mastercard 20k_
WMDiscover 20k-PenFed X2/15k
Current Fico/EQ-765
Garden Time Day- 10
Remaining Days-170
Message 14 of 26
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@WarJar101 wrote:

Hey, guys I just had a few questions regarding this card.

How is the approval process? Do you have to have some affiliation with BofA? What credit profile is minimum for approval you think? Do you apply online or is it recommended to call in and apply?

Thanks.

Regarding application, you cannot apply on line.  There's no means for it at the ML site, nor the BofA site, so you have to call in.

App and approval process were pretty painless.  Mine was an instant approval.  I already had a BofA Cash Rewards card and in fact had gotten a CLI on that card some time  prior to the Plus application.  I don't know that having that prior affiliation with BofA made a difference, I kinda doubt it though.  They pulled TU for both BofA Cash Rewards and for the Plus card, and my TU at the time was in the 770s (779 IIRC).  ML analyst gave me $10K to start to match my Cash Rewards, and asked if that was enough!  I assured him it was -- coulda asked for more, but frankly, $10K was generous as a starting point. 

Message 15 of 26
bs6054
Valued Contributor

What are the good things about the card? Travel redemptions?  Lots of detail at the site but too hard to follow!

Message 16 of 26
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:

What are the good things about the card? Travel redemptions?  Lots of detail at the site but too hard to follow!

Pretty standard fare, similar to other cards for travel purposes.  Another no FOREX and EMV chip card.  No annual fee is an attractive price of admission!

• Flexible Rewards Program with rich redemptions in travel, gift cards, cash, and more
  • 24/7 Concierge Service and Merrill Lynch Trip Advisor
  • No Foreign Transaction Fee1and Smart Chip Technology
  • Trip Cancellation, Interruption, and Delay Insurance and Medical Evacuation Reimbursement2
  • Zero Liability Fraud Protection and Purchase Security2
  • Endless Rewards + No Annual Fee1

Message 17 of 26
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

I'm really surprised that anyone finds this card appealing. It's a closed rewards card meaning you can't transfer the points earned to another program. Decide you want to close the card and you will need to burn the points earned or lose them. Want to fly somewhere and don't have enough ML points to cover the whole flight? You are out of luck as you can't use cash + points, or you can't top off your airline FF account with a point transfer from this card. 

Sure it's no AF and is a chip card but there are a handful of great travel cards out there (airline or hotel) that have an AF that you can either get waived, a statement credit or points bonus for keeping the card - just call and threaten to cancel and watch the AF go away. 

Just saying no fee does not always equal good card. 

Message 18 of 26
bs6054
Valued Contributor

It looks from the description that you can use cash and points, but again the description is both vague and detailed!

Message 19 of 26
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.