Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not there with Chase, but in with AMEX!

tag
Ddub
Established Member

Not there with Chase, but in with AMEX!

I decided to try for an application since there were some xmas shopping deals I could use to meet spend.  AMEX keeps offering me Delta and the Platinum, but I didn't think I really qualified.  Anyway I said what the heck, might as well app for something.  Instant approval for the AMEX gold/50k offer!  I then decided to try again with Chase as I was still under 5/24...got 7-10 days Smiley Sad  I always get denied by Chase and probably will again it seems.

Since I already applied and 2 of my cards will fall off in february I said screw it, let's see if that 2 in a day amex trick works.  Instant approval for the Delta card/50k!

These are my first two real points cards, I've been studying for years how to use them for crazy deals, but had to get the miles previously the old fashioned way.

I don't love skypesos but there were some posts lately on the interweb on how to get better value, especially some domestic stuff.  Anyway in the door at least.  Planning another RTW trip in a year or so, they will be a big help.

CapOne Journey Student ($3500) DiscoverIt Student ($500) Citi Classic Secured ($300) Macy's Charge ($200) Vic Secret ($500)
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Not there with Chase, but in with AMEX!

Congrats! I've gotten a lot of use out of my Amex Delta Gold. Mind me asking, what were your scores when you applied for Amex and Chase? Also, what limit were you approved for with Amex?
Message 2 of 10
Ddub
Established Member

Cap One score checker says my score is 694...close as I know at this point.  I had applied for chase freedom previously with score of 721 and gotten rejected so who knows.

My score should go up soon, am finishing paying off a card.  For some reason not all of my payments are even registering but either way score went up.  Cap One estimator says score should go to 730 once everything is PIF.

I only got approved for Delta with $1k limit but I will try for CLI, I heard after 60 days is when to do it?

CapOne Journey Student ($3500) DiscoverIt Student ($500) Citi Classic Secured ($300) Macy's Charge ($200) Vic Secret ($500)
Message 3 of 10
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

IF you want a card to get into Chase with - give the Amazon Visa a shot.. I have a feeling that might be the easiest card of theirs to get approved for..

I have a history of denials for Chase... But, finally they approved me a few weeks back.. 

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 4 of 10
Ddub
Established Member

I was denied for that a few yrs ago...I also really have no use for that card.  What I really want are Chase Freedom, UA, IHG...maybe some things like SW and some of the other general points cards.

Well, back to the garden again for a while.  If that doesn't work out in the spring I'm going to try for Alaska Airlines, AA, maybe some Hilton cards with Citi/AMEX.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I cold app'd for my Chase Amazon in 2009 and was instantly approved (Does being a Prime member make a difference?). But I've also read on here where people though Amazon was a shoe in with Chase but also got the dreaded 7-10 message..
Message 6 of 10
dk2003
Regular Contributor

@Ddub wrote:

I decided to try for an application since there were some xmas shopping deals I could use to meet spend.  AMEX keeps offering me Delta and the Platinum, but I didn't think I really qualified.  Anyway I said what the heck, might as well app for something.  Instant approval for the AMEX gold/50k offer!  I then decided to try again with Chase as I was still under 5/24...got 7-10 days Smiley Sad  I always get denied by Chase and probably will again it seems.

Since I already applied and 2 of my cards will fall off in february I said screw it, let's see if that 2 in a day amex trick works.  Instant approval for the Delta card/50k!

These are my first two real points cards, I've been studying for years how to use them for crazy deals, but had to get the miles previously the old fashioned way.

I don't love skypesos but there were some posts lately on the interweb on how to get better value, especially some domestic stuff.  Anyway in the door at least.  Planning another RTW trip in a year or so, they will be a big help.

Same here. I finally got in with AMEX (nearly cried)... I couldn't bring myself to apply for a second one, but is that going to be a single pull since I didn't do it int the same day??? I applied for Chase and got denied Smiley Sad I called to see why and it was due to recently opened accounts. I didn't think the 5/24 applied but maybe I miscalculated. My wife, thought has had interesting credit. There was a public record that has since come off. She got Chase but was denied for Amex. Interesting huh!!!!

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great job, Keep up the good work and enjoy you're 2 new AMEX cards!!!  Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 10
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

@dk2003 wrote:

@Ddub wrote:

Same here. I finally got in with AMEX (nearly cried)... I couldn't bring myself to apply for a second one, but is that going to be a single pull since I didn't do it int the same day??? I applied for Chase and got denied Smiley Sad I called to see why and it was due to recently opened accounts. I didn't think the 5/24 applied but maybe I miscalculated. My wife, thought has had interesting credit. There was a public record that has since come off. She got Chase but was denied for Amex. Interesting huh!!!!

Here's the beauty of AMEX. THere is only a HP if you are approved for another card (if you are a current cardholder).. If you are denied, it is only a SP Smiley Happy

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 9 of 10
surferchris
Valued Contributor

Congrats!

Current Cards:
AmEx Hilton Honors Surpass//AmEx Platinum Card//Ann Taylor Rewards Mastercard//Capital One Platinum Card//Credit One AmEx//Credit One Platinum VISA//Fingerhut//Navy More Rewards AmEx//TruWest Platinum VISA//Aspire VISA//Costco Anywhere VISA//Lowes Advantage//Apple Card
Loans:
1 Mortgage/////Navy FCU Auto Loan (2020 Jaguar I-Pace)//Capital One Auto (2016 BMW i3)
Next Cards (4th QTR 2022):
Navy Flagship Rewards VISA//Chase Sapphire Preferred
Stats:
Scores: 700's // Inq's: 1 for mortgage // Util: 1% // AoOA: 21 yrs

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.