cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OMG. I just got approved for AMEX BCP via Creditcards.com with prior AMEX CO!!!!

tag
LisaJ
Frequent Contributor

OMG. I just got approved for AMEX BCP via Creditcards.com with prior AMEX CO!!!!

quick and dirty for those who crave brevity-

-AMEX charge off in 2004.

-Scores in lower 700 range

-Paid tax lien from 2009

-one 30 day late from a few years ago

-AMEX has softpulled me like crazy for years, leading me to believe I was blacklisted.

-Got AMEX offer via card match via creditcards.com; offers given (under "Exclusive" category; I used my social) were Delta Gold, BCE, and BCP.

-Had to call because of address issue, but was approved for $11,000, which make it my highest limit to date.

-I was conservative on income; I teach, I'm a part time photog, and get child support--stated income was $75k, well under household income.

Details below.  Smiley Happy

So today I found a thread about creditcards.com, and for fun, entered my information.  I had been debating a Discover, as their site said last night that I was preapproved, but I am very skeptical about preapprovals, because I am an avid reader here, and you all have taught me well!  In any case, I entered my information and was offered "Exclusive Offers", and all three were AMEX.  Since I have been getting softed by them several times every few months for years, and since I had a prior chargeoff, I didn't believe it.  I read a ton more here, and after much indecision, I decided it was worth the possible HP and pulled the trigger.  I got the "Please call us and give more info" message, and when I did, they told me it was an address issue, (not my fault; it's because their system only lets you put in 20 characters for address!!!!)  I was on hold several times and believed with all my heart it was going to be a denial.  When she came back and asked if I would be ok getting my card in about 2 weeks if approved, I told her my credit line up was good and I wasn't in a hurry.  I mentioned I had been considering aping for Discover, but that I had heard AMEX was a great company.  She said "well, I am sure glad to hear that, Lisa J, because you are now a part of the AMEX family!  Your credit limit with us will be $11,000."  Guys, I nearly passed out.  For REAL. I'll provide detailed backstory for anyone interested, because I know I read, read, read, and searched every thread trying to find information before I pulled the trigger, so if you are interested in all that info, keep reading. I owe every single success I have had on my credit struggle/journey to this forum.  I spent 7 hours today alone reading through, weighing, freaking out a little, weighing, etc. (Holy WOW!!!!  $11,000!!!!!)

Backstory--when I was in college I had an Amex charge card.  Green.  I PIF'ed every month, had amazing credit, and then my husband and I had a nasty separation.  I found myself single with two kids and AMEX was the least of my problems, so I let the $2700 or so bill go to collections.  My credit sank to 500s, and I was a mess.  Although the judge ordered him to pay AMEX, he did not, and it was my account, so AMEX would not work with me at all.  I ignored every Optima, etc. offer they sent and waited while working really hard here to get my accounts where they needed to be and learning about credit here. I got a car loan, did the Orchard thing, got some store cards, and got my life together.  I got remarried, paid down my cards to buy a house, and, again, learning from here, began to grow my profile slowly.  I had a WAMU CC which Chase converted to a Freedom, and that was the foundation for me.  I got a JCP, Macy's, and went into the garden. Target auto CLI'd me from the measly $200 I strated with a few times, up to $1300. My Fico hit 700, then 718, and was higher than I ever imagined. And then I got hit with a tax lien that my sister was respsonsible for...and my credit score plummeted 30 points. Tax lien was paid, but they don;t come off when they are from the state, and report for 7 years after paying.  Mine was paid in 2009, so I slowly rebuilt, and went into the garden.

Last year I saw alll the awesome bonuses for Chase and got itchy!  I ditched Orchard and HSBC because they wouldn't eliminate my fee nor give me any real credit luv, so now Chase Freedom (formerly WAMU) was my oldest account.  After reading tons here, I apped for, and got on recon, CSP; upped my CL on Freedom, Apped for Ink 6 months later and got a CLI on CSP at that time, too. Still, even though I was really attracted to the idea of AMEX backdating, I never apped for AMEX, not wanting another HP, until tonight.  Decided to app for BCP because if I was going to "waste" a HP, I wanted to app for the card I really wanted, and I wouldn't use Delta, to be honest.

And that's how a paid tax lien having, AMEX CO past sporting, recon fearing (I HATE talking on the phone), ordinary girl got a BCP.  I never could have or would have done it without the GREAT resources here!!!!  I only hope this helps someone like me. Smiley Happy

And..This leads me very much to believe that the creditcards.com match up--at least for the exclusive offers--is the real deal, though YMMV.

Whew!  Bless you if you read this far.

WOW! EQ when I joined myFICO: 657. Ups and downs and a few bumps and bruises, but finally back over 700. Whew!

Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: OMG. I just got approved for AMEX BCP via Creditcards.com with prior AMEX CO!!!!

Congrats thats very good news WOW

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 37
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Re: OMG. I just got approved for AMEX BCP via Creditcards.com with prior AMEX CO!!!!

Wow!!!
Your story is amazing!!!!!
I read the whole thing !!
DO NOT FORGET ABOUT THE COVETED THREE TIMES CLI!!!!

On the 61st day! If you request more than $25,000 total, you may be asked to provide tax returns!!!!

So your 11k could turn in to 33k credit line!!
Good luck!!!:-D
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 3 of 37
Rackham94
Established Contributor

First of all congrats!!! Welcome to AMEX!

quick question just did the pre approval thing and it asks for FULL ssn.. is it legit or no? 

Message 4 of 37
dodfire
Valued Contributor

Great !!! Congrats!!!

*8/10/13
Message 5 of 37
LisaJ
Frequent Contributor

Thank you, Myjourney!  I am pretty darn excited!  I hope they do backdate, but not gonna push my luck at all with that...it is now my highest CC limit.  Chase Sapphire and Ink are both at $10k, and I pay a ton more than my minimum, so guessign that is why?

I am pinching myself.

WOW! EQ when I joined myFICO: 657. Ups and downs and a few bumps and bruises, but finally back over 700. Whew!

Message 6 of 37
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 7 of 37
LisaJ
Frequent Contributor

I put in my full SS.  I can only say it worked for me and was worth the risk.  It softs only for the site, and that is a filter...you have to choose which offer and then app for that on the card website.  I will say, I am seeing nearly no denials for people that had an "Exclusive Offer" in my research.  In fact, I only saw one denial that I could confirm at all.

However, the site does not guarantee approval, so I don't want to advise you on what to do--just sharing my experience.  I got 11 matches and went with the "Exclusives" category.  Other offers included Capital One, but I had no subprime offers like First Premier.

I will say I had "Prequalified" on BOA, and "Preapproved" on Discover It preapproval soft pull sites, which boosted my confidence a ton. I was REALLY afraid to risk a HP on AMEX, but it seemed like if I was BL, they wouldn't even soft me, so that's why I felt I should at least try.  I might still do the Discover card but not sure I want to, and really don't need to at this point.

As for the CLI x3--I forgot about that....OMG!!!!!  Though I stated 75k and can prove it, I am not sure I want the hassle, KWIM?

I'll report what CR they pulled as soon as I know.  I have MyFico services so will know within 24 hours if they HP EQ and will check CK and CS for TU and EX.

Message 8 of 37
Richierichdollar
New Contributor

This makes me so want to apply for an amex green atleast just to be in the family since i just got discover

Message 9 of 37
enharu
Super Contributor

grats!!!!!

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 10 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.