cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OMG SHOCKED beyond Belief NFCU approved me, yes me!!-- UPDATE SCORES JUMPED

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: OMG SHOCKED beyond Belief NFCU approved me, yes me!!

Thanks for getting back to me what was your FICO score and average age of accounts?

Message 21 of 28
Brickbybrick
Regular Contributor

Im not military nor am I affiliated. Darn! Glad it's working out for all you guys though!
5/27/17 Experian: 679 Equifax: 628 TransUnion: 630
Cap1 QS:600 Credit One: 600 Merrick Bank: 550 Amex: 500 JCrew: 250
Message 22 of 28
sweetcinn
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for getting back to me what was your FICO score and average age of accounts?

My scores were in the low 500 range, I think I put them in the original post. Age of accounts, I have had the secured nrewards for about a year and have a secured CapitalOne for about 5 months.  The new card hit my report this morning and my Experian score is now 599. I have also had some items deleted from my report which is probably a big help in the boost. Transunion should jump once the new account hits as well.

Message 23 of 28
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

@sweetcinn wrote:

Hi my fellow FICOers,

I am in a credit rebuild status.  The advice I got on this board is amazing!! So in my rebuild, I am rehabbing a defaulted student loan, paying off 2 judgements, having some old things removed.  Within the process, I also have 2 secured cards, one with Cap one for $250 and one with NFCU for $600.   I had asked for my NFCU secured card to be unsecured a few times but they would not do it. I was reading on the boards last Friday about people being approved for NFCU. I was like oh well, what have I got to lose so I applied for the goRewards card.  I was not instantly denied as I had been in the past so I was like okay.  I got the app is under review comment and was like okay, here we go.  I was preparing to submit a reconsideration once they denied me.  GUESS what... they approved me for the card with a $7300 limit (the interest rate is high at 18%, but I will take it).  I almost fell out of my chair!!!

My scores are not high at all.  TU is my highest at 563 EX is 521 and EQ is 535.  I have had my secured card for about a year, I use it and pay it in full every month.  I do the same with my Cap One card.  I am not sure what their criteria is for approvals but I am so glad to have gotten an unsecured card with them.

For those who are rebuilding there is hope!! 

Sweetcinn, 

Congratulations on your approval. That is awesome. I've never seen any get approved for a CL that high with scores under 620 before. You did all the right things, direct deposits with NFCU, excellent payment history, and use NFCU for their services in general. If I were you, I would check the preapproval offers regularly for a CLOC, that way you can have an extra trade line on your CR.

I am still rebuilding my credit after my bankruptcy. You should go over to the rebuilding credit forum. In the bankruptcy section there is an excellent method listed on how to get to 700 in 24 months. It was set up mainly for bankruptcy but the you can apply the same principles to your situation and I bet it will raise your scores. I used it and it does work. 

Here a couple of suggestions I have for you. Work as hard as you can to get those judgements paid off. It will help your credit in the long run. After your new Navy Federal Visa hits your CR, check CapitalOne for any preapprovals. As soon as you get one, take it. This way you can close those secured cards. I know that you are rehabbing your student loan, but you need to have an installment loan that has a perfect payment history. You ought to close your secured NFCU card and add $400 to it and get a secured loan for a $1000 for a one year term. This will give a positive trade line with perfect payment history and add another loan to the mix. 

You're doing a great job so far. Keep it going!

Guyatthebeach

Message 24 of 28
sweetcinn
Valued Member

Guyatthebeach thanks for the great advice! 

My judgements have been paid and have been removed from my reports except Transunion, (still waiting on them to remove).

After I got approved for the goRewards, I took a chance and applied for a $5000 auto loan with Navy and they approved me. It's a 2 year term but I plan on paying it off in a year. 

I paid off both secured cards in the hopes they would unsecure them. In the case they don't, how bad does closing these accounts hurt your score?

My student loans will be finished rehab in January and the negative payment history removed. At that point I should be able to pay at least one if not both of them off completely.

I have a few collections I am knocking out slowly but surely so I am definitely seeing a boost across the board.

I really appreciate the great advice I am getting on this board!

@Guyatthebeach wrote:

@sweetcinn wrote:

Hi my fellow FICOers,

I am in a credit rebuild status.  The advice I got on this board is amazing!! So in my rebuild, I am rehabbing a defaulted student loan, paying off 2 judgements, having some old things removed.  Within the process, I also have 2 secured cards, one with Cap one for $250 and one with NFCU for $600.   I had asked for my NFCU secured card to be unsecured a few times but they would not do it. I was reading on the boards last Friday about people being approved for NFCU. I was like oh well, what have I got to lose so I applied for the goRewards card.  I was not instantly denied as I had been in the past so I was like okay.  I got the app is under review comment and was like okay, here we go.  I was preparing to submit a reconsideration once they denied me.  GUESS what... they approved me for the card with a $7300 limit (the interest rate is high at 18%, but I will take it).  I almost fell out of my chair!!!

My scores are not high at all.  TU is my highest at 563 EX is 521 and EQ is 535.  I have had my secured card for about a year, I use it and pay it in full every month.  I do the same with my Cap One card.  I am not sure what their criteria is for approvals but I am so glad to have gotten an unsecured card with them.

For those who are rebuilding there is hope!! 

Sweetcinn, 

Congratulations on your approval. That is awesome. I've never seen any get approved for a CL that high with scores under 620 before. You did all the right things, direct deposits with NFCU, excellent payment history, and use NFCU for their services in general. If I were you, I would check the preapproval offers regularly for a CLOC, that way you can have an extra trade line on your CR.

I am still rebuilding my credit after my bankruptcy. You should go over to the rebuilding credit forum. In the bankruptcy section there is an excellent method listed on how to get to 700 in 24 months. It was set up mainly for bankruptcy but the you can apply the same principles to your situation and I bet it will raise your scores. I used it and it does work. 

Here a couple of suggestions I have for you. Work as hard as you can to get those judgements paid off. It will help your credit in the long run. After your new Navy Federal Visa hits your CR, check CapitalOne for any preapprovals. As soon as you get one, take it. This way you can close those secured cards. I know that you are rehabbing your student loan, but you need to have an installment loan that has a perfect payment history. You ought to close your secured NFCU card and add $400 to it and get a secured loan for a $1000 for a one year term. This will give a positive trade line with perfect payment history and add another loan to the mix. 

You're doing a great job so far. Keep it going!

Guyatthebeach

Message 25 of 28
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

Sweetcinn,

Given that you have a car loan with NFCU, you don't need the secured installment loan. 

With regards to the secured cards, I would keep the Capital One secured credit, so you can keep your foot in the door with them. I would close the NFCU secured card. Look at it from a lender's point of view. It doesn't make sense to have a secured card while you have a unsecured Visa and a car loan. 

I would keep Capital One so you can use their CreditWise app which does seem to update regularly, more that Credit Karma and Credit Sessame. I would check every time you log in to see if you have a preapproval for a unsecured card. You should see one either next month or in February, given what you said about your judgements and student loans. When you use your CapitalOne card, use the principle of the credit rebuilding process. Make sure one month you show it with a zero balance, next month statement closes with 10% balance, and next month 1% or $1.00 balance. It will show you're serious about credit and working on maintaining excellent credit usage.

Guyatthebeach

Message 26 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations with your Approval! Way to go! Smiley Happy

Message 27 of 28
sweetcinn
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats!

NFCU appearst to use their own internal credit score so you had a year of payment history on their secured card and that obviously raised your internal score with them.

Did they give you their internal score number? 

Hi ABCD2199,

My internal number is 239 out of 450 with them. 

Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.