Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Only Place I Have to Gloat! :D

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Only Place I Have to Gloat! :D

I've been working on rebuilding my credit for almost a year, after I let a Cap 1 credit card go to pot and a few other bad credit 'incidents', and I'm finally on the right track! I started w/ a Fingerhut account last year, then a Credit ONE cc (yikes!), then a Merrick card a few months ago. I the past couple weeks, I'm ashamed to admit that I've been on a bit of an app spree, and have added a Gettington account, four store credit cards with the shopping cart trick, and a Walmart card. Just yesterday I took a shot and was approved for the Cap 1 Plat cc, which SHOCKED me, and today I received a Kohl's pre-qual letter in the mail, which I got! 

They're all pretty much baby limits and nothing compared to what most of you get, but they're better than what I started with a year ago! I know the inquiries and avg account age wil hurt in the short-term, and I'm prepared for that. But I have much longer term credit goals. Plus, my avg account age wasn't that big to begin with. 

I've been a long time lurker on the boards, and I just joined today, 'cause I was retty excited with my progress. We'll just say that I don't exactly get out much and no one in my family is really all that interested in my credit history, so this is retty much the only way for me to share my small successes with anyone. Smiley Very Happy 

I also wanted to throw a big HUGE thank you to everyne on these boards. Without this forum, I would never have thought that I could get as far as I have! 

Now, it's time for me to STOP adding new credit accounts and work on building what I do have! No more credit apps for me for a while!

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Only Place I Have to Gloat! :D

Congrats on the approvals and welcome. Smiley Happy Just be careful of getting too many toy limit store cards. I know it feels awesome getting approved, but later on down the road when you want to get in with the "big dogs" (ex: chase, Amex, etc) those small limit store cards could actually end up hurting you.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 25
Anomalous
Senior Contributor

Congratulations! Much continued success on your credit journey.

Keep both your credit and your body in top shape!

Message 3 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!
Message 4 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations!

Message 5 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! 

I'm not too worried about the little store cards hurting me much; I knew that there was a small chance of that when I accepted them. I actually can't stand credit cards anymore, and only buy something if I have the money to pay it off. I should have started like that in the first place. :/ So, I probably won't even bother with many more credit cards, if any at all. 

My ultimate goal is a home. My small local bank was willing to give me a home loan last summer, but I wanted to build up my credit and have the option to shop around a bit. Now it's just time to wait it out, let stuff age, and work from there. 

Message 6 of 25
tbque
Valued Contributor

Congrats and good luck with buying a house!

Message 7 of 25
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

congrats on your rebuild and approvals! Youll get there soon enough Smiley Happy don't worry about the toy limits for now..just worry about building good usage and history...the limits will come laters..

welcome!
Message 8 of 25
doc101
Regular Contributor

Congrats

Starting Score:Equifax 543
Current Score:EQ659 TU 716 EXP677 updated 7/3/2016
Goal Score: 700

Message 9 of 25
MissMoni223
Senior Contributor

CONGRATS on your credit success!!! Smiley Happy

Gardening Until Further Notice
15 Credit Cards (12 Major Banks & 3 Store Cards)
Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.