Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opened $200 secured Citibank card...Transunion and Equifax scores DROP

tag
TimeLBK
Regular Contributor

Opened $200 secured Citibank card...Transunion and Equifax scores DROP

Opened $200 secured Citibank card...Transunion and Equifax scores DROP 49 and 60 points respectively. Does this happen a lot? My Utilization on my credit is 8% total, so I don't know why?

Discover IT: $0/$200
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Opened $200 secured Citibank card...Transunion and Equifax scores DROP

It happens a lot if you're relying on Credit Karma which doesn't give you FICO scores but some entertainment-only number called Vantage Score that no consumer lender looks at or cares about.

Where are you pulling your scores from?  Website?

Message 2 of 5
TimeLBK
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It happens a lot if you're relying on Credit Karma which doesn't give you FICO scores but some entertainment-only number called Vantage Score that no consumer lender looks at or cares about.

Where are you pulling your scores from?  Website?

Credit Karma

Discover IT: $0/$200
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Karma scores are useless for gauging credit worthiness.

Some of the companies providing those Vantage Scores we're penalized millions of dollars this year for telling people that their scores were useful for credit purposes.

To see useful scores, make sure the score says FICO. You can get a free FICO score at creditscorecard.com or pay $1 to creditchecktotal.com for all 3 scores but make sure to cancel the trial right after.
Message 4 of 5
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Congrats on starting your credit journey with Citibank. They have a good lineup of cards that will suit your needs for decades

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.