Did you mean: 

Palladium vs Ritz vs Citi Prestige

tag
dilettante
Established Contributor

Re: Palladium vs Ritz vs Citi Prestige

@Anonymous wrote:

@rlx01 wrote:
That spend deserves to go on the SPG or EDP.

Keep the CSP for non Amex or international travel.

You're leaving money on the table by choosing "prestige" over ROI.

I.e. Why bother with a Pallidium where you get 1.35UR for spending 100k when you can get 1.5MR on everything on the EDP?

I certainly understand where you're coming from, but the perks received from the cards with the higher annual fees are likely worth more to me than extra points from something like the SPG. I am sure many just get the Ritz for the appearance/feel of the card and never stay at the hotel to get any benefit out of it, but I stay at the Ritz quite often so the 5x points and club level upgrades will be well worth the annual fee. As for the rest of my spending, I was leaning towards the Prestige for the free 4th night at hotels and the better lounge access. It also seems to have a very attractive point reward system. Some other posters mentioned that the points don't transfer well to many airline partners, but it seems there are some ways around that, and it's not a big concern for me. I will keep this updated as I decide this weekend. Another question, if I am applying for both of these cards, do I do them at the same time or wait a bit between each one? I have never applied for more than 1 card within a few years of each other so I am new to this. Thanks.

If you have very few inquiries, decent scores, and a clean CR, you shouldn't have any problems applying for both at any time.  

If you are going to apply for the Citi Prestige, the better bonus offer of 60k for $15k spend is in branch.  Don't know if public offer for that is still available but if you're a CitiGold, then you will get the offer.  If that offer is not available at your branch and you're not a CitiGold customer, then you may need to sweet talk a banker into aubmitting that offer for you.

As far as transfer partners, the airlines are mostly Asian carriers but they do have some good ones (Singapore -which is Star Alliance, Flying Blue - which you can use for Delta, and Cathay). And they did just add Virgin Atlantic.  And of course, you can use TY points to purchase AA tickets.

Message 31 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jsucool76 wrote:
I never stay at the Ritz, but the signup bonus and gold status is also great for Marriott hotels. I don't stay 50 nights a year, but being able to stay at full service Marriotts and get club access just by spending 10k a year on a card is fine by me. (if I keep it that long)

I see now my post came across as a little arrogant. I wasn't taking any digs at those who get it but don't stay at the Ritz. Like you said the benefits carry over to Marriott and the $300 travel credit is great too.

Message 32 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not

@dilettante wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@rlx01 wrote:

I.e. Why bother with a Pallidium where you get 1.35UR for spending 100k when you can get 1.5MR on everything on the EDP?

I certainly understand where you're coming from, but the perks received from the cards with the higher annual fees are likely worth more to me than extra points from something like the SPG. I am sure many just get the Ritz for the appearance/feel of the card and never stay at the hotel to get any benefit out of it, but I stay at the Ritz quite often so the 5x points and club level upgrades will be well worth the annual fee. As for the rest of my spending, I was leaning towards the Prestige for the free 4th night at hotels and the better lounge access. It also seems to have a very attractive point reward system. Some other posters mentioned that the points don't transfer well to many airline partners, but it seems there are some ways around that, and it's not a big concern for me. I will keep this updated as I decide this weekend. Another question, if I am applying for both of these cards, do I do them at the same time or wait a bit between each one? I have never applied for more than 1 card within a few years of each other so I am new to this. Thanks.

If you have very few inquiries, decent scores, and a clean CR, you shouldn't have any problems applying for both at any time.  

If you are going to apply for the Citi Prestige, the better bonus offer of 60k for $15k spend is in branch.  Don't know if public offer for that is still available but if you're a CitiGold, then you will get the offer.  If that offer is not available at your branch and you're not a CitiGold customer, then you may need to sweet talk a banker into aubmitting that offer for you.

As far as transfer partners, the airlines are mostly Asian carriers but they do have some good ones (Singapore -which is Star Alliance, Flying Blue - which you can use for Delta, and Cathay). And they did just add Virgin Atlantic.  And of course, you can use TY points to purchase AA tickets.

Thanks for that info. The only inquiry I would have would be for my new mortage I just took out since I recently closed on a new house. Scores are 825+ and no derogatory marks. I actually fly Singapore airlines a handful of times a year so that works out well for me with the Prestige. Think I have made the decision to go with that and the Ritz. You all have been great help!

Message 33 of 56
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Not

@dilettante wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@rlx01 wrote:

Thanks for that info. The only inquiry I would have would be for my new mortage I just took out since I recently closed on a new house. Scores are 825+ and no derogatory marks. I actually fly Singapore airlines a handful of times a year so that works out well for me with the Prestige. Think I have made the decision to go with that and the Ritz. You all have been great help!

Let us know how it works out. Smiley Very Happy 

Hopefully you get two approvals. I'm hoping ritz loosens up on the airline gift cards soon. It (was) one of the biggest benefits of the card, and is something that would actually convince me to keep it after year one, though gold status (with 10k spend) is pretty valuable too. 

Also, 4500th post...#INeedALife

Message 34 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

How much time do you have to spend the 15K?

Message 35 of 56
dilettante
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

First $3k in 3 months for first 30k bonus, total $15k spend within a year for 30k more. Will get the additional 30k as soon as $15k is met. Took me 2 months to find something to spend it on but was able to transfer immediately to airline program after statement cut to get saver ticketSmiley Happy

Message 36 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dilettante wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

First $3k in 3 months for first 30k bonus, total $15k spend within a year for 30k more. Will get the additional 30k as soon as $15k is met. Took me 2 months to find something to spend it on but was able to transfer immediately to airline program after statement cut to get saver ticketSmiley Happy

Can't wait until Citi shows me some love. I better start schmoozing a Citi banker or two.

Message 37 of 56
espnjunkie
Established Contributor

I would highly recommend the Citi Prestige card. I received mine 3 months ago and have since milked tons of rewards from it. 

1.) Priority Pass Select member ship with 2 free guests (unlimited amount of times) and free immediate family members. I got myself, my girlfriend, a friend, and 4 of my family members into the KLM Crown Lounge in Houston for free over New Years 

2) Concerige service is done by ten lifestyles, the same company that does Amex Platinum

3) 4th night free of ANY hotel stay, unlimited times per year

4) $250.00 annual air travel benefit, worked on a $250.00 united airliens gift card 

5) 3X points for travel, 2X dining/entertainment, 1X points for all other spending really adds up fast 

6) AA Admirals Club lounge access when flying on American, includes 2 free guests + immediate family members 

7) World Elite Mastercard benefits...which are numerous

“The real measure of your wealth is how much you’d be worth if you lost all your money.” ~Unknown
Citi Prestige World Elite Mastercard ($35,000.00), Merrill+ Visa Signature ($25,000.00), Amex BCP ($29,700.00), Amex Green (NPSL), Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard ($10,000.00), Chase Ink Business Bold (NPSL)
TU-778 (12/03/2014))
EX (Plus) - 777 (10/21/2013)
EQ - 735 (April 2013)
Message 38 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

@espnjunkie wrote:

I would highly recommend the Citi Prestige card. I received mine 3 months ago and have since milked tons of rewards from it. 

1.) Priority Pass Select member ship with 2 free guests (unlimited amount of times) and free immediate family members. I got myself, my girlfriend, a friend, and 4 of my family members into the KLM Crown Lounge in Houston for free over New Years 

2) Concerige service is done by ten lifestyles, the same company that does Amex Platinum

4) $250.00 annual air travel benefit, worked on a $250.00 united airliens gift card 

5) 3X points for travel, 2X dining/entertainment, 1X points for all other spending really adds up fast 

6) AA Admirals Club lounge access when flying on American, includes 2 free guests + immediate family members 

Very nice...

Message 39 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

@espnjunkie wrote:

I want this card. Don't have any Citi cards but this one and the AA Executive Elitte are on my list.  I just need to wait until my EQ inquiries start to disappear.

Message 40 of 56
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.