Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed - Amazing Approvals!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PenFed - Amazing Approvals!

Sorry this will be long but it may be worth the read to some!  Thanks to this forum I found out about the amazing products and services offered by PenFed a few weeks back and immediately I was intrigued.  I caught the bug after reading Baller's thread and decided to give it a shot.  I had zero inquires in the last 6 months on EQ although I was up to about 19 new accounts in the last year (of which only 1 was recent).  Based on the approvals I was seeing plus my EQ increase noted on MyFico and CCT I thought I had a fair chance of getting in with them on a CC.

On 5/21/2016, I submitted my app and was immediately approved for membership after making my donation to one of their associated charities.  I made my initial deposit to the share account and decided to double down for a Platinum Rewards VISA Signature.  My application immediately showed "Referred to LO" and the wait began.  Immediately after the CC application I began to enter information for an auto re-finance although I stopped myself from continuing until I knew the outcome of the CC application.  The next day (mind you it was a Sunday) I checked the application status late in the afternoon and sadly I found out that I was denied due to too many recent inquiries and too many new accounts.  I knew it was true although I saw folks with many more getting approved and with lower FICOs.  By reading through the threads I found out they went based on NG FICO and I still had no clue where that had landed.  Baller and creditluv convinced me to send in a recon e-mail and so I did.

The following day I again reviewed the app status and it was changed to again "Referred to LO".  After lunch I came back and found it was again denied this time only citing too many new accounts and no longer referencing the too many inquiries verbiage.  I decided to call in and ask for a Supervisor (LO) although the agent assisting me stated they were all too busy and based on what he saw there was no way of overturning their decision.  I pleaded with the agent to transfer me and he asked me to hold only to come back and say there were all too busy.  I was flustered and decided to give up thinking it was not worth trying to again plead my case... their decision was already made.  At this same time I received a new message which showed my application request with denial and my NG FICO of 697 which is 17 points higher than my EQ FICO8.  I was surprised that my NG was higher than my FICO8.

On Friday I decided to again send a message to Corporate about my frustrations with not being able to speak with an LO.  Yesterday morning (Sunday) I received a call from a 541 (OR) number and there was a very pleasant lady on the other side calling from PenFed.  She explained that my concern had been received and she was happy to review my applications with me.  She stated I do see you have several new accounts although most of them are about to hit 1 year pretty soon.  She offered to personally review my applications (CC and Auto Refinances) again and see what she could offer me.  I thanked her for calling and told her to call me back once she had a decision.  She called me back in about 15 minutes and told me "Congratulations... You have been approved for all 3 products"!  I was in shock as she was able to overturn my CC denial plus approve me for the re-financing of both of my auto loans.  I am still in disbelief and shock that by simply allowing a loan officer to review my apps she was able to see things the system saw as negatives and reasons for denial.

PenFed Visa Rewards Signature = $6,500 CL @ 16.74%

Auto Refinance #1 = $37,800 @ 2.74% FROM 5.65%

Auto Refinance #2 = $34,500 @ 2.74% FROM 4.99%

I will now be saving over $175 a month on auto payments!!!  Smiley Happy Woo Hoo Thank You, Thank You, Thank You MyFICO Forums and PenFed!!!

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
baller4life
Super Contributor

Re: PenFed - Amazing Approvals!

Fantastic!!! I am so happy for you! Way to hang in there and not give up!!! 😉
Message 2 of 19
Saleen099
Senior Contributor

Nice Congrats!!!!!! 

Message 3 of 19
datrucking210
Established Contributor

Congrats!

Good job on not giving up. 

Mid 500's Spring 2014 As of 06/07/16 EQ-700^ TU-738^ EX-697v In the Garden 5/28/16! Goals 750 across the board end of 2016
AU:
Message 4 of 19
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Congrats on not giving up and ending in success!!

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 5 of 19
ficoguy2013
Regular Contributor

I traditionaly don't do RECONS

Only because I believe "things happen for a reason" 

but for years, PenFed always says no to me - I always been said yes to by other lenders..

SO I emailed and faxed a recond letter to them

Hopefully it gets approved. 

Hopefully they match my NFCU limit which is at 25k 

Lines of Credit Navy FCU Cash Rewards Signature - $25k || Navy FCU LOC - $15k || Barclay's Apple Rewards - $5k || ECP Military Exchange - $4k || DCU Platinum Rewards - $2k || Discover IT - $750 || Capital One Quicksilver - $2.5k || USAA American Express - $5k || Target Redcard - $2.4k ||
Auto Loans:Toyota Financial $25,000 - 1.9% || USAA Auto $32,000 - 1.76% || DCU Auto $32,000 - 2.49% (dd discount .50%)

Utl @ 10% - Main Card: Navy FCU Cash Rewards
Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good Luck to you ficoguy2013!
Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

WTG! Congrats
Message 8 of 19
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Great story!! I actually read all of it. I love a good PF story! One of these days Ill one of my own, LOL..

Congrats to you!
Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.