Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed SL recon?

tag
celluloid17
Established Contributor

PenFed SL recon?

I've been wanting to establish a banking relationship with a credit union for a long time to potentially utilize for a future auto loan.  Like so many, I was also enticed by the Power Cash Rewards.  Upon joining PenFed this evening, I immediately applied for the PCR card.  It was not instantly approved and had to be sent to a loan officer.  The customer service rep I was dealing with on the phone was extremely friendly and helpful and he escalated my application for immediate review by an analyst and after a fairly brief hold, he came back with the good news that I was approved for $4500 with a 9.24% APR, which is their lowest APR offered (he even commented that he rarely sees approvals with that APR).  I have to admit, as pleased as I was to be approved, I was kind of disappointed with the credit limit since most of my cards hover around the $8k-$10k+ range.  I asked if a recon would be possible at some point to raise the limit and he said yes, but because my account is so new, it's not likely to happen for at least three months.  I accepted this because he was so gracious and it seemed logical and I didn't want to press my luck during that call.  I then proceeded to open the Access America checking account needed to make the PCR card 2% rather than 1.5%.

After getting off the phone, I did some research on this forum and I read a couple of posts from people requesting CLIs before they even received their card with great success.  I don't know my exact FICO scores, but all of my FAKOs are in the very high 700s or low 800s (my highest score is probably EQ, which is what PenFed pulls).  My total credit utilization has to be under 5% and I never carry a balance.  My disadvantages would be my student loan debt that's about $32k that I'm paying off on an income based repayment plan and my income that is on the low side (below $40k).  

Is it worth calling in before I even receive the card to try and get that credit limit higher or should I just wait?  The rep I spoke with did say that the credit pull was good for 3 months, which is why I don't want to wait until after this current pull has expired to request an increase.

Any feedback, advice, or suggestions would be much appreciated.  

Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PenFed SL recon?

@celluloid17 wrote:

I've been wanting to establish a banking relationship with a credit union for a long time to potentially utilize for a future auto loan.  Like so many, I was also enticed by the Power Cash Rewards.  Upon joining PenFed this evening, I immediately applied for the PCR card.  It was not instantly approved and had to be sent to a loan officer.  The customer service rep I was dealing with on the phone was extremely friendly and helpful and he escalated my application for immediate review by an analyst and after a fairly brief hold, he came back with the good news that I was approved for $4500 with a 9.24% APR, which is their lowest APR offered (he even commented that he rarely sees approvals with that APR).  I have to admit, as pleased as I was to be approved, I was kind of disappointed with the credit limit since most of my cards hover around the $8k-$10k+ range.  I asked if a recon would be possible at some point to raise the limit and he said yes, but because my account is so new, it's not likely to happen for at least three months.  I accepted this because he was so gracious and it seemed logical and I didn't want to press my luck during that call.  I then proceeded to open the Access America checking account needed to make the PCR card 2% rather than 1.5%.

After getting off the phone, I did some research on this forum and I read a couple of posts from people requesting CLIs before they even received their card with great success.  I don't know my exact FICO scores, but all of my FAKOs are in the very high 700s or low 800s (my highest score is probably EQ, which is what PenFed pulls).  My total credit utilization has to be under 5% and I never carry a balance.  My disadvantages would be my student loan debt that's about $32k that I'm paying off on an income based repayment plan and my income that is on the low side (below $40k).  

Is it worth calling in before I even receive the card to try and get that credit limit higher or should I just wait?  The rep I spoke with did say that the credit pull was good for 3 months, which is why I don't want to wait until after this current pull has expired to request an increase.

Smiley Happy

You will receive a satisfaction survey regarding your "application experience" with the card - that survey actually gets read by people who can recon your limit.  So your best move would be to wait for the survey and then in your response is where you put together something eloquent expressing your "dissatisfaction with the starting limit as it doesn't meet my expectations given the other credit lines in my profile"

No need to use my words, but I hope you get the gist - use the survey as your recon opportunity

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with the post above, the folks that tend to get recon love with Penfed are those that respond to their survey as disappointed because of the limit.  Having said that I don't think you should be upset at all.  Penfed is more cautious than many lenders but their very low interest rate shows that they recognize your excellent credit so I am sure you will get nice CLI's in the future.  We all want to get high limits right off the bat but it doesn't sound like your in need of a higher limit right now so I wouldn't lose sleep over it. If I had to choose between your interest rate and a lower SL and a higher interest rate with a higher SL it would be easy to choose.  That is essentially the risk balance they are making.  

Message 3 of 14
celluloid17
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@celluloid17 wrote:

Smiley Happy

You will receive a satisfaction survey regarding your "application experience" with the card - that survey actually gets read by people who can recon your limit.  So your best move would be to wait for the survey and then in your response is where you put together something eloquent expressing your "dissatisfaction with the starting limit as it doesn't meet my expectations given the other credit lines in my profile"

No need to use my words, but I hope you get the gist - use the survey as your recon opportunity

Yours was one of the posts that gave me the idea that an early recon might be possible.  How long did it take for you to receive the survey?  Did it come before you received the card?

Message 4 of 14
celluloid17
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I agree with the post above, the folks that tend to get recon love with Penfed are those that respond to their survey as disappointed because of the limit.  Having said that I don't think you should be upset at all.  Penfed is more cautious than many lenders but their very low interest rate shows that they recognize your excellent credit so I am sure you will get nice CLI's in the future.  We all want to get high limits right off the bat but it doesn't sound like your in need of a higher limit right now so I wouldn't lose sleep over it. If I had to choose between your interest rate and a lower SL and a higher interest rate with a higher SL it would be easy to choose.  That is essentially the risk balance they are making.  

Thank you so much for the kind words of encouragement and a reminder to keep things in perspective.  I'm very gratified that they gave me such great terms (the APR) and even though I never carry a balance and therefore will never fully reap the benefits of the lower APR, it's still nice to know that I can qualify for it.  

Message 5 of 14
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

It usually shows up a couple of days after approval from all the threads I have read . Congrats That is still an awesome approval
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@celluloid17 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@celluloid17 wrote:

Smiley Happy

Yours was one of the posts that gave me the idea that an early recon might be possible.  How long did it take for you to receive the survey?  Did it come before you received the card?

Sadly, I have no first-hand experience with PenFed (not *quite* true - I just joined yesterday) - I've just got a keen eye for detail and a good memory  Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was initially approved for my Promise for 2k; called in right after I saw the approval amount (had not gotten the survey yet) and asked if the limit could be reconsidered. I had applied for it for the BT option and low rate on it. After a couple of minutes waiting for the CSR to talk with a loan officer, they came back and told me they were increasing my limit to 6K.

If you have something specific in mind, just talk to them about what you are wanting to do or looking for. They are very friendly and try to be accomodating when they can be

Message 8 of 14
celluloid17
Established Contributor

I received a survey and at the end when you can add additional comments I mentioned my disappointment in the credit limit I was granted in relation to my other credit limits and my overall profile, but I couched it it in lots of positives about PenFed.  This really is a first world problem, but I figure it's worth a shot since it won't require another credit pull if done within the first three months.  If nothing happens as a result of the survey, I may try and call before my three months is up and make a request over the phone.

Time will tell...

Message 9 of 14
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Keep us updated Op
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.