Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really Walmart?????? Oh Well at Least I got a foot in the door

tag
baller4life
Super Contributor

Re: Really Walmart?????? Oh Well at Least I got a foot in the door

My point exactly!! At least I got the free fico and potential for a lot of growth. My credit is not the greatest and TU has 3 derogs left that I am still working on. But, I still hoped for a larger starting limit given my $3k limit with NFCU. Oh well...
Message 21 of 32
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Johnnyblaze1986 wrote:
That's a very disrespectful limit, very disrespectful!!!! $150? What am I suppose to buy with that? Spoons and bubble gums?

Lenders do not operate on emotion.  And, while the CL may be fairly low, it is purely a business relationship (let's keep in mind the OP's profile) since any other individual with good/excelent credit would qualify for a higher CL and the Discover version.  At least the OP has gotten a foot in the door (okay so maybe like 3 toes), but at least the HP wasn't a waste AND the TL can grow based on positive history.

Message 22 of 32
parkman
Regular Contributor

I started my WM card two years ago with a 500 limit. I'm currently at 1800, and I didn't ask for a single penny of it, I was just rewarded for good credit behavior. And the latest increase came when I had a 700+ balance on an $800 credit line, the one before that with 400+ on a $500 credit line. GE is very generous with auto-CLI, and I'm sure if I had asked for it every 4 months like some are suggesting, it would be even higher. Just be patient, and grateful for the free FICO score!

All I have for this forum is bubblegum and anecdotal evidence, and I'm all out of bubblegum.
Message 23 of 32
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@Johnnyblaze1986 wrote:
That's a very disrespectful limit, very disrespectful!!!! $150? What am I suppose to buy with that? Spoons and bubble gums?

Lenders do not operate on emotion.  And, while the CL may be fairly low, it is purely a business relationship (let's keep in mind the OP's profile) since any other individual with good/excelent credit would qualify for a higher CL and the Discover version.  At least the OP has gotten a foot in the door (okay so maybe like 3 toes), but at least the HP wasn't a waste AND the TL can grow based on positive history.

getting your foot (or 3 toes as my dear friend eloquently put it Smiley Happy ) in the door is better than a wasted pull..your opportunities of making this card grow thru auto clis and every 4th statement cut are frequent enough that you should see you CL rise quickly... Smiley Happy

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 24 of 32
ptilda
Established Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@FixMyCredit1992 wrote:

A $150 limit? I have never heard of such a low limit, I've heard of 300 limit, but 150? Wow

Yes, even JCP can be as low as $100.  Macy's is another lender who can offer limits that low.  Bottom line, if you want the best results for a higher CL, be sure your credit profile is in decent standing piror to applying so as not to be disappointed with the results.

In the question of time, it all washes out. If I wait a year and get approved for $500, it's the same as if I get approved for $150 now and after the 4th statement get an increase to $500. Only the reality is that the increases in the year will likely take me higher than $500 for a Wally card. So really, the use of gardening is so that I can get ANY approval for the card I want. Any limit will suffice (assuming it's one that grows well) to "get a foot in the door."

With your other card limits, this is reasonable, and since the other inqs are doubtless showing. Look back in 6 months or a year, and you'll basically be in the same place.

Nice work!

My Wallet:Fidelity Amex $1K, DCU $3.9K, US Bank AeroMexico $300, Quicksilver $1.3K, Cap1 secured MC $750, DiscoverIT $200, Care Credit $5K, Sportsman Guide Visa $3K, Kay $3K, Jared $3K,American Airlines CC $3K, Amazon $2.9k, Walmart $2.2k, Macy's $800 revolving/$5k furniture, Comenity retail cards $5.55kStarting Score: 618Current Score: 711
Message 25 of 32
kaskuli
Regular Contributor

150 is better than a denial.

You just have to make payments more frequently. Like, every day or every other day Smiley Wink

$26500 Amex EDP / $20000 Merrill+ / $12000 Chase Sapphire Preferred / $12000 Chase British Airways / $7500 Barclays Arrival+ / $7500 FIA Amex / $7500 Paypal Extras MC / $7000 Chase Freedom / $3500 Discover It
Message 26 of 32
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congrats to you!!!!! It will growSmiley Happy I wish I could be back in with GE, but my bk burn is wayyyyyy to recent with them, even for a Walmart card. So..... Ill try in a few years. I do 90% on my grocery shopping there, it would be worth it for meSmiley Happy
Message 27 of 32
hot4u
Established Contributor

Agree,

Your in the door..

Congrats

(Chase)- Freedom, CSP®, United MileagePlus® Explorer, Marriott Rewards® Premier, Penfed cash+ rewards/Promise/Defender.
Amex’s- BCE, Hilton, SPG®, PRG® and Blue®, NFCU Cash Rewards, FHB Destinations World Elite.
- Amex Centurion,(Citi) Executive/Platinum® Advantage

Alaska Airlines
Message 28 of 32
toi34
Established Contributor

This just recently happened to me too at the end of a GE app spree. I called TWICE to recon and the reps both said to call back in 2 days. There was something they were not telling me, but kept suggesting I call back in 2 days??? I wonder if there was some computer glitch that will be resolved soon. Anyway, I'll call back in 2 days. If still a no, I'll just be grateful it was not a denial like previous posters have said, wait for it too grow rapidly and be glad for a free FICO. Smiley Happy

Message 29 of 32
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

They gave me a wal mart store card with a starting CL of like $400.  It's not $2500.

Belk store card was only a $500 starting CL (also GE bank) and it's $4000.

I just call every 4 months and request an increase, and use neither card.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 30 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.