Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sallie Mae FINALLY

tag
jigglypuff
Regular Contributor

Sallie Mae FINALLY

I've wanted this card forever for Amazon and groceries when it doesn't fall on my rotating cards. 

I was denied six months ago and gave up after, I think, three recon attempts.  They kept saying I didn't have enough history because only three of my cards were over a year old (most were only six months old).

I started applying again, like, every month since then and kept getting denied, but Barclays wasn't even pulling my credit report. I was getting denied for too many recent apps and notified in my letter that the decision didn't require a credit pull. 

Finally, enough was enough. My TU is 779, and almost all of my cards are over a year old now.

I called the recon department and told them to pull a report.

She approved me for $2,500 after asking about my relatively recent Target card (explained awesome rewards) and Better Balance card (explained that I buy a pack of gum each month and get $100+ in rewards). She also asked if I pay in full (always). 

I thanked her and asked if that's the World MasterCard version. She said no and asked if that's what I was looking for. I affirmed that, SO SHE APPROVED ME FOR $5,000 INSTEAD!

I was nervous to press my luck again. APR is still TBD she said.

I'm so happy! I think I have all the cards I ever wanted (I would still humor a Macy's Amex, but I can hold off for the foreseeable future). 

Thanks for reading!

Green Card: NPSL | Freedom VS: $5K | Discover it: $25K | Quicksilver Platinum MC: $6K | Victoria's Secret Angel Forever: $3.15K | Sapphire Preferred VS: $7.3K | Dividend Platinum Select V: $9K | Barclaycard Rewards MC: $1.5K | Cash Rewards Platinum Plus V: $2.5K | Slate V: $500 | Target REDcard: $1.5K | Amex EveryDay: $18K | Blue Cash Everyday: $18K | Fidelity Rewards VS: $9K | Double Cash WMC: $12.8K | Better Balance Rewards Platinum Plus MC: $7.5K | Ebates Cash Back VS: $8K | Nordstrom VS: $10K | Sallie Mae WMC: $5K | FNBO American Express 6.25%: $11.7K | Quicksilver VS: $10.75K | SaksFirst Store Card: $2.25K | Saks WEMC: $8K | Iberia Bank Visa Classic: $8.5K | Blispay V: $7.5K
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Sallie Mae FINALLY

Congratulations!  I had a similar experience with recon, they doubled my credit limit!  I'm stoked to get this thing in the mail, I have my eye on a few things on Amazon Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice approval and great recon! You will be very pleased with the Barclays Sallie Mae World MasterCard (have one myself).
Message 3 of 20
jigglypuff
Regular Contributor

Should I try for a higher limit at activation? I've never done that...

Green Card: NPSL | Freedom VS: $5K | Discover it: $25K | Quicksilver Platinum MC: $6K | Victoria's Secret Angel Forever: $3.15K | Sapphire Preferred VS: $7.3K | Dividend Platinum Select V: $9K | Barclaycard Rewards MC: $1.5K | Cash Rewards Platinum Plus V: $2.5K | Slate V: $500 | Target REDcard: $1.5K | Amex EveryDay: $18K | Blue Cash Everyday: $18K | Fidelity Rewards VS: $9K | Double Cash WMC: $12.8K | Better Balance Rewards Platinum Plus MC: $7.5K | Ebates Cash Back VS: $8K | Nordstrom VS: $10K | Sallie Mae WMC: $5K | FNBO American Express 6.25%: $11.7K | Quicksilver VS: $10.75K | SaksFirst Store Card: $2.25K | Saks WEMC: $8K | Iberia Bank Visa Classic: $8.5K | Blispay V: $7.5K
Message 4 of 20
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Only reason I signed up for the Barclays Apple back in September 2013... so I could get my instant approval for Sallie Mae in December 2014... (and move the Apple limit over before closing the card)

Grats OP.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 5 of 20
uswala
Senior Contributor

Congrats on the approval!

Message 6 of 20
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Dang nabbit!! These constant Sallie Mae approvals are driving me out of my wait period for that beauty.

Like u i been waiting forever to get her onboard and struck out twice so far.

Congrats! on a nice approval and a super recon effort Doubling The Line!!! Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 20
jigglypuff
Regular Contributor

@TRC_WA wrote:

Only reason I signed up for the Barclays Apple back in September 2013... so I could get my instant approval for Sallie Mae in December 2014... (and move the Apple limit over before closing the card)

Grats OP.

Ooh, maybe I should do that with my Rewards MasterCard...

Message 8 of 20
Anomalous
Senior Contributor

Congratulations!

Keep both your credit and your body in top shape!

Message 9 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on a great approval! And good for you for asking for that WMC! (Barclays is not the best CCC at upgrading Platinum cards to Worlds).

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.