cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sallie Mae - Just approved, too early to recon?

tag
Thorin
Valued Member

Sallie Mae - Just approved, too early to recon?

I was just approved for a Sallie Mae World Mastercard with a $5000 limit. Man Happy

I mainly got it for the rewards and want it to become my main card, replacing my Gas/Groceries (5% Gas, 3% Groceries), Amazon (3% Amazon, 2% Restaurants/Drugstores) and Bank branded Amex (Warranty extensions). These cards in total have a $9500 credit limit.  I also have a Walmart MC ($5k limit) from when I was just starting to get credit.

I'd like to get a CLI and consolidate all of these into one card, but is now too early?  Should I wait until my card gets here to recon?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
chalupaman
Super Contributor

Re: Sallie Mae - Just approved, too early to recon?

I'd call the 24/7 recon line and see what they can do.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 2 of 15
Thorin
Valued Member

Thanks.  I saw in another thread to be prepared with them because they keep good track of their recons.

The only downside to my credit history is my relatively low (~3 year) AAoA.  Everything else is good. No missed payments, low utilization.  Only thing I'm wondering about is if they ask why I want to CLI. 

Is there an answer they would be looking for with that question?

Message 3 of 15
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@Thorin wrote:

Thanks.  I saw in another thread to be prepared with them because they keep good track of their recons.

The only downside to my credit history is my relatively low (~3 year) AAoA.  Everything else is good. No missed payments, low utilization.  Only thing I'm wondering about is if they ask why I want to CLI. 

Is there an answer they would be looking for with that question?

I think you'll be fine. Tell them something like you wanna bring a lot more of your business to Barclays and that you want the Sallie Mae MC to especially be your main card that you use for spending. 

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations!

Message 5 of 15
uswala
Senior Contributor

Congrats!

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome to the Sallie Mae Family ... congrats!
Message 7 of 15
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Grats on getting a great card Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 15
alvon123
Super Contributor

congrats

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the approval!

Carefull with Barclay's on the backlines, with no warning the they may decide to HP EX.  

Just had this happen on SM recon.  Still denied with a 741 fico, clean reports and total dept at 22.00 bucks.  They hate me!

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.