Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sapphire Remorse

tag
Aaroncl27
Established Member

Sapphire Remorse

I just got approved for the CS yesterday with a limit of 5000 dollars. My chase freedom card got an automatic CLI from 3500 to 5000 last week, and I decided to try my luck at the sapphire card! I got instantly approved for 5000. Now that I was approved though I'm starting to realize I will probably continue to use my chase freedom and my Amex Blue Everyday card much more often than the sapphire, since, as a 21 year old college student I don't spend a lot of time (or any) travelling. I was wondering if it would be a bad idea to try and get the sapphire limit just added to my chase freedom card after I get my 10000 bonus points on the sapphire.

I've read that chase is cool with combining cards, but I don't know how willing they would be to do that with a card I just got. Especially if I use the promotion.

SCORES AS OF 7/20/15 TU: 761 EQ: 768 EX: 770

10000              6000              5000               5000               4400              3750              2000               1700
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
alvon123
Super Contributor

Re: Sapphire Remorse

congrats on your approval

Message 2 of 11
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Congrats! Thanks for sharing.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 3 of 11
Meltdownblitz
Frequent Contributor

I don't have any personal experience with this but I'm sure chase would have no problem moving the limit and closing the card. However I'm in a similar situation as you, I am a college student and doesn't travel all that much and I have a CSP and I love it! I just love the customer service, perks are pretty good, and not to mention the card design I absolutely love! So if I were you I would just let the card arrive if you don't already have it and just enjoy the card, and if I'm not mistaking the annual fee for the first year is waived so I would just use it until that point then if you don't want the card, have the limit moved to the Freedom before the annual fee is due. But as I said myself and many others love our CSP.

Edit: Sorry I did notice you just got the regular sapphire, why not the annual fee version? Why not see if they can switch it for you, after all the first year is free.

Barclays Uber - 4% Restaurants, 2% Online Purchases/Everyday Card || PenFed Cash - 5% Gas || Amazon Visa Signature - 5% Amazon || U.S. Bank Cash+ - 5% Utilities, 5% Cable/Internet || AMEX BCP - 6% Groceries || WF Cash - Cell Insurance || Rotating 5% Categories - Chase Freedom, Discover It, Citi Dividend || AMEX Zync - For Fun!

Message 4 of 11
Aaroncl27
Established Member

My main reasoning for choosing the standard is that I don't see myself putting 3000 dollars on it in the first 3 months! Or I would have. I really like that one more but the signup bonus would have taken more effort for me to achieve.

SCORES AS OF 7/20/15 TU: 761 EQ: 768 EX: 770

10000              6000              5000               5000               4400              3750              2000               1700
Message 5 of 11
WuXing5
Regular Contributor

i think it will be logical to pc to amazon rewards visa and use it for book purchase on amazon.com, save money on school book and earn points.

"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully. " - GWB
Message 6 of 11
missjae
Established Contributor

I don't know if they will let you move the CL yet, but I have the Sapphire and wish I'd gone for the Preferred or different product. The perks don't seem as good as the preferred version. Good luck!
Message 7 of 11
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

Congrats on your approval.

Message 8 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@WuXing5 wrote:

i think it will be logical to pc to amazon rewards visa and use it for book purchase on amazon.com, save money on school book and earn points.

Chase will not be able to PC CS/CSP/Freedom/Slate to co-branded cards.

Message 9 of 11
Rackham94
Established Contributor

I would probably keep it and just use it abroad if you every study out of country. No foreign transaction fees, IMO better than 1% on Cap1 Journey. Plus no AF

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.