Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Small Discover CLI

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Small Discover CLI

Sort if Bumed, Got the Discover It card in April  with a SCL of $3000, After my 90 mark I received two small CLI's back to back of $500 a piece. I have spent YTD $16,000 on the card, constantly bumping up against the credit line, but never leaving a balance on the card for more than a week or so. I have gotten messages that I don't have enough experience with current line assignment pretty consistantly from Discover. Then I maxed out the card and got a cli decline because "Growing balances on discover card". So I paid it off and requested another CLI, got the two day message. Logged in today and I received a $500 CLI bringing my new limit to $4,500. So frustrating.

I am starting to think that Discover hates people with high income or that actually utilizes there card. My brother and I got the card at the same time, he has only spent $300 on his card and requests monthly CLI's and is already over $15,000.  

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Small Discover CLI

Congrats, Sean, on your increase! Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Sort if Bumed, Got the Discover It card in April  with a SCL of $3000, After my 90 mark I received two small CLI's back to back of $500 a piece. I have spent YTD $16,000 on the card, constantly bumping up against the credit line, but never leaving a balance on the card for more than a week or so. I have gotten messages that I don't have enough experience with current line assignment pretty consistantly from Discover. Then I maxed out the card and got a cli decline because "Growing balances on discover card". So I paid it off and requested another CLI, got the two day message. Logged in today and I received a $500 CLI bringing my new limit to $4,500. So frustrating.

I am starting to think that Discover hates people with high income or that actually utilizes there card. My brother and I got the card at the same time, he has only spent $300 on his card and requests monthly CLI's and is already over $15,000.  

Call Discover customer service and ask to speak to someone about the CLI request that should get you transferred to an analyst who will tell you the maximum you are eligible for with out a hard pull. I was stuck on the $500 train and got a $2000 bump this way.  

Message 3 of 8
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Sean,

You got an indicator regarding balances with the one denial.  It's better to start off slow with Discover when it comes to charging things.  There's a few of us that noticed smaller balances each month result in huge CLIs.  Recently another member here mentioned cutting back to just Netflix each month and jumping out of the $500 bucket and into the thousands.  Personally I just put the cable bill and maybe a couple of small transactions on it each month and have grown from $4500 to $36K in a little over a year.  Also, switching from a monthly or greater CLI request to an every other month boosted me from $3-$4K to $6K CLIs.  There's no hard evidence or anything of the like with Discover on how they determine who gets what but, keeping track of things for the past year around here has helped in growth.

Here's how my first year panned out....

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/My-first-year-with-Discover-Data-Points/m-p/47...

Message 4 of 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It's clear to me that there is no rhyme or reason to Discover CLI's. There are plenty of people who will tell you that heavy usage is likely to get you good CLI's; there are others who will tell you that sock drawering the card is a better formula for a CLI.  I used to think that the key to success with them was a good TU FICO 8 score, until my score got way up there and I kept on getting tiny CLI's when I could get one. Most recently they're denying my requests with an 809 score.

I think they brought in a team of monkeys to man the computers and handle the CLI's. It's that random.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

It just makes me crazy, I put 200-300 on the card and get nothing "not enough experience" I put thousands on the card and they give me $500... crazy. Im about to just sock drawer it
Message 6 of 8
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Experience is just timing.  It's like Synch and how they are with the 4 statement thing unless you call Credit Solutions and bypass it.  Patience and persistence are key when getting Discover to move.  You'll find your own magic sauce for them and then put it to work.  

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know you're frustrated. But, congrats on your increase. Like others said, hopefully you will find your sweetspot with them and how to get the CLI you are looking for. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.