Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Small Navy starting line for DW

tag
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Small Navy starting line for DW

Hmmm.  I'm puzzled...  Sent DW to NFCU.  She signed up, (got us both the sign up bonus!) and applied for the Platinum credit card.

Approved, but only a $500 credit line.  Her scores are higher than mine, so I'll be curious to see what score NFCU shows for her...

The good news is, it's an approval...and in 91 days plus or minus three statements, hopefully, she'll see a credit line increase. 

....her foot is in the door!

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
sid33
Regular Contributor

Re: Small Navy starting line for DW

We had the same experience. DW had better scores than mine and got a $500 sl. I walked away with a $4200 sl. Her profile is better than mine as well. They declined her for a cli @ 95/3. I’m not there yet. They also declined her for a second card.

Navy is changing.
Message 2 of 7
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@sid33 wrote:
@Anonymous had the same experience. DW had better scores than mine and got a $500 sl. I walked away with a $4200 sl. Her profile is better than mine as well. They declined her for a cli @ 95/3. I’m not there yet. They also declined her for a second card.

Navy is changing.

The key here is to wait 90+ days and then AFTER they do their every other month soft pull (check your FICO score on their site to see when they updated your score). My NFCU AmEx was 90 days in December, I waited until January 10th (Fico score showed it was updated 1/4/18) and went from a SL of $15k to $20k. On my NFCU Go Rewards did the same thing after 90 days and Fico update and went $25k (that one started at $22.5 but tops out at $25k on a soft pull CLI). 

NFCU might start slow, but they grow quickly - its all in the timing. 

Message 3 of 7
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Thanks both... I'm still new and learning about NFCU.  I joined in October, applied for a Platinum card and received a $3.5k credit limit.  In January, I applied for a credit limit increase and a second card...  credit limit increased to $10.5K and second card approved for $10k.

DW's scores are HIGHER than mine were in October, and higher than mine are now.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm glad that she has her foot in the door and that they approved her, I just expected a higher starting limit for her.

Somewhere in April, she'll apply for a CLI and 2nd card and I hope that she's successful... we shall see.  Smiley Happy

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 4 of 7
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Congrats to DW tcboSmiley Happy You know what they say about small sl.......Smiley Wink
Message 5 of 7
Cherekas
Frequent Contributor

@sid33 wrote:
@Anonymous had the same experience. DW had better scores than mine and got a $500 sl. I walked away with a $4200 sl. Her profile is better than mine as well. They declined her for a cli @ 95/3. I’m not there yet. They also declined her for a second card.

Navy is changing.

My 94/3 was declined as well along with a second card, hence my need to garden and not accept anymore HP's from Navy. I do appreciate my SL from them which is $14,000. I'll try again after gardening (persistence).

Score: F8 EQ 609, EX 597, TU 614 (1/17) Current Score: F8 EQ 701, EX 714, TU 689 (12/18)

Goal Score: 700+ across all 3--Gardening until May 2019
USAA Amex-USAA Rate Advantage VS- Amex Gold- Amex Delta Blue- Macys- NYC CC- Victoria's Secret- Cap 1 QS- NFCU CR- Care Credit- Firestone- Sams Club CC- Best Buy Visa- Paypal 2% MC

Total CL $96,300
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Navy cards grow like weeds. Some take a little more time than others but they will grow. Good luck!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.