cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stoked with first Amex + BA Visa approval!!

tag
Salmon

Stoked with first Amex + BA Visa approval!!

A bit of background: I made bad financial decisions while in College and my parents helped me out and put me back in shape but it left a mark in my credit history (a few 90+ delinquencies, I believe) and a fear of using any type of credit. After graduating and getting a stable job with a decent pay I started to care about credit history again. So I fixed what I could and applied for a CC with Bank of America, with whom I had a checking account for over a decade. They denied me for anything that was not insured and I looked other places. Nobody would give me anything uninsured. My goal was to get an SPG Amex as I am very into traveling, but after calling backdoor to ask them to re-consider their denial, I was once again denied because I did not have other revolving accounts. They told me to apply again after I kept a card for a year. At this point my Equifax Fico score was about 710. Then out of the blue I applied for a United MileagePlus Explorer from Chase and after much calling to backdoor numbers (with the help of this wonderful board) I finally was approved for this card with a $2500 CL. I was very happy and have paid it as agreed for 7 months, only carrying a balance a couple of months. At this point my Equifax Fico was 689 and my Transunion Experian Score was 816 (a grade of B), I bring this one up because I believe it's what Amex pulls. I went to the Amex website and applied for the SPG card and was approved instantly!! I had a back up plan to apply for the British Airways card from Chase and they also approved me instantly... with a $6500 CL!! That is almost 3 times the CL I had on my other Chase card! The BA 100k miles offer was too good to pass, and I plan on making my SPG card my every day card along with my United card, so I won't be applying for anything else right now. I am just very happy to be approved for these as I was fearing I'd be years away from getting my credit fixed up.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Stoked with first Amex + BA Visa approval!!

Congrats all it took was a little time/ revolving history

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 9
MzKoli
Contributor

Congratulations!
Message 3 of 9
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

Congratulations on both card approvals!!  And don't forget to ask for a 3x CLI on that Amex card at 61 days.  It should be a soft-pull.  What limit did you get on the Amex card?  If you haven't already, you can call Amex and ask.

FICOs: TU08 842 EQ08 850 EX08 850

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 4 of 9
Epcot
Valued Contributor

Congrats, nice going!

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 5 of 9
firstladyd
Contributor

Congrats Great Job!!!

Starting Score: 585
Current Score: TU 734 Walmart EQ 704 FICO EX 721
Goal Score: 750 Across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 6 of 9
Salmon

$7200 for the amex.
Message 7 of 9
firstladyd
Contributor

Whoa!! Nice. Congrats. I was just approved for my 1st ever Amex this morning. Adrenaline is still rushing.

Starting Score: 585
Current Score: TU 734 Walmart EQ 704 FICO EX 721
Goal Score: 750 Across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 8 of 9
Pilotdude
Established Contributor

Bravo!!  Way to handle a bad situation and turn it around to make it work for you!  Nice intensity with the phone recons, because it can be bloody discouraging to be rejected multiple times.  Way to hang in there and make it work!!

Congrats!!

NFCU #1 Fan!! NO MOAR APPS TIL 10/13 Minimum!!
TU -746, EX - 721, EQ -745
Cards:NFCU Flag Visa Sig $10000, CSP $8500, AMEX BCP $2000 Freedom $3500, Disc IT $5000, Cap 1 Green $2100, Credit 1 CLOSED! AU on Amex Green, Discover $2000, Cap One Plat $1000
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.