Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Successful Barclay Arrival Recon

tag
jpparker07
New Contributor

Successful Barclay Arrival Recon

I am going on quite a bit of trips this fall so I was really eyeing the Barclay Arrival with 40 K points. I applied after some thinking over the days. I currently have the NFL card with a 2000.00 limit. It has a 1000 balance because of their balance transfer offer. That was the main reason I was hesitant to apply. My fico averages about 670-680 between the 3, but TU was the lowest. That was my second worry. Anywho applied and got the 7-10 message and then I used the application status link and saw I was declined.

Immediately called the backdoor analyst number and had a very nice gentleman. He explained I was declined due to credit issues and actually ASKED me if I had any questions about it. Not even the "you will receive a letter" canned response. I explained that I have enjoyed my relationship with Barclay and that I chose this card because it was the best travel card out there for me right now. He put me on hold for about 2 (loooooong) minutes and came back with 3 questions.

1)Explain the cards that have balances and why....I told him most of the cards were promotional rates and the other was a credit union card I use for emergencies.

2)Explain what I use the cards for...I was honest and said I enjoyed rewards, but none of them are travel cards.

3)Say around how much my student loan payments were.

He said he was excited to approve me for 1500.00 and that I should use the card and pay every month and then expect a credit line increase. If that happens I am transferring that NFL limit over and then will try to get a world mastercard! I super excited!

Cards: AMEX BCE (2k), Barclay Arrival Mastercard (4.3K), Chase Freedom (1K), Discover It (1.3k), SECU (2K), CapOne Quicksilver (750)

Current Scores- Experian- 695, Equifax- 689, Transunion-680

Goal- 720 Across the Board
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: Successful Barclay Arrival Recon

Congrats! Thanks for sharing.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 2 of 12
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Congrats.  I recently received a CLI on my arrival after 7 statements, but some people get one on the 6th statement.  I usually let the statement balance report and then pay that balance in full by the due date.  The card is still on a 0% promotion, but I get that already through Navy Federal BT promotions, so I don't feel the need to carry a balance on it.  But they gave me the CLI, despite the fact that my FICO has dropped considerably since I applied for the card due to reasons out of my control.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 3 of 12
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@jpparker07 wrote:

I am going on quite a bit of trips this fall so I was really eyeing the Barclay Arrival with 40 K points. I applied after some thinking over the days. I currently have the NFL card with a 2000.00 limit. It has a 1000 balance because of their balance transfer offer. That was the main reason I was hesitant to apply. My fico averages about 670-680 between the 3, but TU was the lowest. That was my second worry. Anywho applied and got the 7-10 message and then I used the application status link and saw I was declined.

Immediately called the backdoor analyst number and had a very nice gentleman. He explained I was declined due to credit issues and actually ASKED me if I had any questions about it. Not even the "you will receive a letter" canned response. I explained that I have enjoyed my relationship with Barclay and that I chose this card because it was the best travel card out there for me right now. He put me on hold for about 2 (loooooong) minutes and came back with 3 questions.

1)Explain the cards that have balances and why....I told him most of the cards were promotional rates and the other was a credit union card I use for emergencies.

2)Explain what I use the cards for...I was honest and said I enjoyed rewards, but none of them are travel cards.

3)Say around how much my student loan payments were.

He said he was excited to approve me for 1500.00 and that I should use the card and pay every month and then expect a credit line increase. If that happens I am transferring that NFL limit over and then will try to get a world mastercard! I super excited!

Congrats on your recon approval Smiley Happy

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 4 of 12
jpparker07
New Contributor

Thanks all! I post sometimes, but mostly lurk and it has significantly changed my financial life. Love this board.

Cards: AMEX BCE (2k), Barclay Arrival Mastercard (4.3K), Chase Freedom (1K), Discover It (1.3k), SECU (2K), CapOne Quicksilver (750)

Current Scores- Experian- 695, Equifax- 689, Transunion-680

Goal- 720 Across the Board
Message 5 of 12
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Nice work, enjoy Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 12
alvon123
Super Contributor

congrats

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats.
Message 8 of 12
Longroad
Established Contributor

Congrats on the successful recon. That's how I got my Arrival and I love it. Hope you are as happy with yours as I am mine.

Message 9 of 12
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

WTG on your recon!  Good limit, too...treat it well and it'll grow with you quickly!

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.