cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surprised no instant approval? Now what?

tag
GPMDRL
New Contributor

Surprised no instant approval? Now what?

I currently have 3 cards, Discover with $12k limit, Cap 1 with $4k and AMEX with $35k. Oldest acct 10 years, newest is AMEX at 15 months. I have 4-5 inquiries on report as we got a mortgage July 2013 and a car last march. All 3 cards combined and my balance is $625. No lates or negatives on report. Even pay an extra $700/month on mortgage. Discover TU says 800, cap 1 credit score 730. I own a small biz that gross $350k and I clear about $175k.

I have some travel plans coming up and a decent purchase or two so was real interested in the Barclay World Elite. Append this morning and got the 7-10 day.

Also have an AMEX gold business that I run about $6k through a month and always pay in full. Their rewards on fuel is big for me but the 2x on a Cap 1 sparks biz card on everything else would really put me ahead. So I went for that as well as I know I'd hit the miles requirements on both fairly easy. Anyway, I got a 7-10 day on the cap 1 as well. I really don't understand it.

Any input from the community? I'm really surprised and a tad confused. Really wanted the Barclay but know I don't want the non fee one if they offer. Waste of HPs.
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Surprised no instant approval? Now what?

Call the back door number and recon! It could be a security thing. They are really good to recon with! They may have questions regarding something on your reports, and calling could easily expedite that! Good luck!
Message 2 of 26
MyDataMyChoice
Valued Contributor

They are probobly going to do a manual review and give you a high limit...

Message 3 of 26
GPMDRL
New Contributor

I'd gladly take a high limit but if they just matched my disccover I'd be happy. I was worried maybe the inquiries and new credit in form of AMEX, car loan and mortgage in just under 1.5 years had something to do with it. Could it also be my current address is less than 2 years old? They didn't ask for anythibg else thoyfh
Message 4 of 26
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

it's common for a couple security questions

Call 866-408-4064 and you will get instant decision.

Message 5 of 26
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@GPMDRL wrote:
I'd gladly take a high limit but if they just matched my disccover I'd be happy. I was worried maybe the inquiries and new credit in form of AMEX, car loan and mortgage in just under 1.5 years had something to do with it. Could it also be my current address is less than 2 years old? They didn't ask for anythibg else thoyfh

That would not be the case with Barclay's those accounts are plenty aged.. Call the backdoor / recon # posted on this site.. Gurantee most likely just a security thing and speak with an analyst/uw about your applicatoin... If for some reason declined, reconning is a pleasure with them as well.   do a search for backdoor numbers on this forum and you will find it.  Sure you dont have a security freeze on TU?

Message 6 of 26
GPMDRL
New Contributor

Great thanks for that number!  I just called and answered a few questions and they approved me for $12k (Barclay).  Thats the one I really wanted.  I guess I should check in with Cap 1 for the business one now as well.  Thank you everyone for the advice so far!

Message 7 of 26
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Glad to hear... I bet you could of recconed that limit as well or still can if you want more....  I initially got approved at a lot less limit on a different card 1.5k then reconned to 4k...  Just ask them if you are so inclined to match one of you other high limit card or meet you in the middle...bet you can get 15-20k out of them pretty easy if you would like that via the same #.  If you choose to do this, make sure you ask them to use the SAME HP as your application or a SP!

Message 8 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the approval but Recon that limit!!!  

Message 9 of 26
GPMDRL
New Contributor

Ok about recons....never did one. Just call and ask for higher limit? Also, what is a number I should ask for? My opening for AMEX last year was $20k and that blew me away. My highest limit before that was only $7k I believe. Only about 4 years ago my credit scores were low 600s so I still look at $10k very gratefully Smiley Happy
Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.