Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target CLI

tag
n777ua
Established Contributor

Target CLI

Anyone have any tips on getting a Target CLI before I call ? From what I can tell in the FAQ's all accounts are "periodically reviewed".  I have a measly $200 CL from when the account was opened 5 years ago, and my highest other CL is $15k . . I was kinda hoping they would've auto-increased it by now.

About $215,000 total credit among 11 cards
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Target CLI

I would just call them, find out if requesting a CLI is a hard or soft pull, and base your decision on whatever answer they give you.

Do you use the card alot, ever been late, carry a balance on the card for extended periods of time?

If you hardly ever use the card and never come close to the CL they may not see why you would need an increase, of course they may give you a CLI just because you've had the card so long, YMMV.

But be sure to find out weather it's a hard or soft pull, so you can make an informed decision if a hard pull is worth a CLI on that card, if in fact it is a hard, if it's a soft, shoot for the stars and ask for what you want, if they are not willing to give you what you ask for, they most likely will counter offer you.

Best of Luck!!

One other thing, a lot of times when asking for a CLI, weather its a hard or soft, it's always best to have your reports looking their best, low util, not too many CC's reporting a balance etc.....

Message 2 of 19
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

There are so many of us here on this forum with $200 Target card for severeal years. It is very unlikely Target gives CLI. Waste of time.

Message 3 of 19
laz98
Senior Contributor

they are very unpredictable with their CLI.  i was one of those people who had a $200 limit for the longest time.  since so many other people were in the same boat, i didn't think it was going to grow at all.  but then i got a CLI to $1k, much to my surprise!  it later went to $1500 & to its now $2050, which i just got in september.

Message 4 of 19
911gt34life
Frequent Contributor

i don't understand why target don't give CLi ?

>
Message 5 of 19
n777ua
Established Contributor

Thanks for the advice everyone, I used the card quite a bit when first opened, then I sock drawered it for a few years.  I decided to start using it again when Target started giving 5% off when the card was used, but its just too much of a pain to pay on it 2-3 times a month just to keep it under my CL.  I'll probably just go back to the Amex Plat . . . cheers.

About $215,000 total credit among 11 cards
Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do people really spend more than $200 on a single purchase at Target?

Message 7 of 19
laz98
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

we do.  not often, but it does happen.  especially around christmas time.

Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@laz98 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

we do.  not often, but it does happen.  especially around christmas time.

Oh, I didn't think about that; makes sense.  The Target nearest to me is one of those Super Targets, but I still prefer to buy groceries from a grocery store because in my area the grocery stores are still slightly cheaper than Target/Walmart.  I really only buy household stuff from Target, but I usually go to Costco for that sort of stuff.  I guess if Target is your go-to store for everything it would be pretty easy to spend more than $200 on a single trip making that $200 CL very troublesome.

Message 9 of 19
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Target has been irritating for years now.

They stopped allowing Customer Initiated CLI requests back in like 03' I want to say.

Some of us saw the increase a few years ago right before the holidays from $200-$300 cards pushed up o $1k.

For those who have read about my Target Accounts in the past this will be a bore so I will make it quick.

I opened my target card in 1999, it was the 2nd credit card I applied for in the week I turned 18.  Started at $200 and went to $300 sometime in the first year and to this day thats where it sits $300.  I went through Ch 7 in 2001 and ch 13 in 2007, I never had a balance on the card at those points so it was not included in either BK and Target never closed it.

So fast forward to 2008, Currently in my repayment of ch 13 I applied and was approved for a $200 CL card and then later in 2008 applied and approved a $300 card and then in 2009 STILL in BK I applied and received another $200 card.  I believe in 09 is when they did the increases to random accounts and one would think if I was going to get a CLI it would be on the now 10 year old account but nope it was the 3rd account in 08 that got increased from $300 to $1000.

For the last year I have been doing my primary grocery shopping at Target and would spend $300-500 a week and break up the transaction to 2 or 3 of my target cards... I paid in full for a while then late last year early this year I charged all 4 to the max and paid like $50-$100 each month and then about 3-4 months ago paid them ALL off and now am back to just using the card with the $1000 limit and I charge it and walk over to customer service and pay it.

I have not seen any CLI since the one in 09, I inquired about combining the cards and very similar to GE with Gap, Banana, Old Navy... they will be happy to combine them for you but what that means for them is they will move the blance over to what card you want to keep if enough limit available and then close the card you don't want to keep... and they do not move you CL... so you loose the CL of the other cards and you now have a higher balance on the card you are keeping if they both had balances before... pretty pointless to say the least!

so to sum it up, it's like HSBC and Cap1... I just sit here and read all the threads about it and scratch my head on what "accounts are reviewed monthly" statement all the reps tell you actually means!

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.