Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Merits of Waiting for Chase!

tag
ridgebackpilot
Established Contributor

The Merits of Waiting for Chase!

Many people here have commented that it pays to wait (and not call the reconsideration line) after applying for a Chase card and receiving a message other than instant approval. The general consensus seems to be that calling the Chase recon number is seldom helpful to your cause and only exposes you to intrusive and sometimes downright hostile questioning.

A week or so ago, I broke down and applied for the Chase United Mileage Plus Club card, which is currently targeting an offer of free United Club membership for the first year. Since I travel a lot and fly United frequently, it was an attractive offer that I couldn't refuse, even though I already have the Chase United Explorer and Chase Sapphire Preferred cards.

Upon application, I received the "we need more time to evaluate your application" message online, and the 30-day Email. Calling the automated application status line yielded the "we'll notify you within 30 days" message from the outset. Rather than calling for verification, I decided to wait and see what transpired. Today I logged on to the Chase website to check my accounts. Lo and behold, my new Chase United Mileage Plus Club card was listed with a $17K SL!! Thanks, Chase! That's the largest SL I've received from Chase so far on any card. Incidentally, I received this approval and SL despite the fact that my FICO scores are in the mid-600s but my income is high and I use my Chase cards heavily and pay them down regularly.

The bottom line: My experience suggests that the advice we've received here is good. If you don't get instantly approved for a Chase card, wait a few weeks and see what happens. Resist the temptation to call the reconsideration numbers. You never know, you might be pleasantly surprised like I was today!

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The Merits of Waiting for Chase!

Wow, nice!! Congrats!!
Message 2 of 15
ddemari
Super Contributor

Congrats! My club card went pending for over 2 weeks until it sbowed up online. The status was always 2
Weeks on the phone. I agree wait it out
Message 3 of 15
alextercero
Super Contributor

Congrats

Current Credit Cards

Currently rebuilding as of (May 2021)

Current Fico Scores 8/9: (April 2024)

Credit Age:

Inquiries:

Message 4 of 15
I-think-I-can
Valued Contributor

Wow! Nicely done! Congrats! Smiley Happy

Starting Scores 2/13/15: EQ 635 EX 674 TU 684 ////7/16/15 Scores: EQ 661 EX 669 TU 703 //// 2/15/16 Scores EQ 652 EX 647 TU 756 //// 3/24/16 Scores: EQ 661 EX 649 TU 773 //// EQ 670 EX 653 TU 768 (EQ And EX still tainted)
Goal Scores: 760 across the board
Message 5 of 15
sandman2435
Established Contributor

@ridgebackpilot wrote:

Many people here have commented that it pays to wait (and not call the reconsideration line) after applying for a Chase card and receiving a message other than instant approval. The general consensus seems to be that calling the Chase recon number is seldom helpful to your cause and only exposes you to intrusive and sometimes downright hostile questioning.

A week or so ago, I broke down and applied for the Chase United Mileage Plus Club card, which is currently targeting an offer of free United Club membership for the first year. Since I travel a lot and fly United frequently, it was an attractive offer that I couldn't refuse, even though I already have the Chase United Explorer and Chase Sapphire Preferred cards.

Upon application, I received the "we need more time to evaluate your application" message online, and the 30-day Email. Calling the automated application status line yielded the "we'll notify you within 30 days" message from the outset. Rather than calling for verification, I decided to wait and see what transpired. Today I logged on to the Chase website to check my accounts. Lo and behold, my new Chase United Mileage Plus Club card was listed with a $17K SL!! Thanks, Chase! That's the largest SL I've received from Chase so far on any card. Incidentally, I received this approval and SL despite the fact that my FICO scores are in the mid-600s but my income is high and I use my Chase cards heavily and pay them down regularly.

The bottom line: My experience suggests that the advice we've received here is good. If you don't get instantly approved for a Chase card, wait a few weeks and see what happens. Resist the temptation to call the reconsideration numbers. You never know, you might be pleasantly surprised like I was today!

Or wait untill you receive the denile letter and than recon,Since you've already taking the hard pull,That has worked for me as well

Message 6 of 15
s_haliz
Valued Contributor

Congrats!!!!!!!! 

TU FICO 850 | EQ FICO 850 I EX FICO 850
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good job and enjoy it...

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is true!

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ridgebackpilot wrote:

Excellent! I had a similiar experience with Chase. Actually, it took three weeks and I thought I had a denial. (I burned them in my Chapter 13.) After three weeks, boom right out of nowhere came a phone call verification of identity and a 15k credit limit. It is a very good feeling, isn't it?

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.