Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tip Toed out of the garden, got 1 of 2 apps approved

tag
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Tip Toed out of the garden, got 1 of 2 apps approved

Been in the garden since March after getting approved for a Barclays NFL card. Not too bad with inquiries, 8 on each of the 3, and 3 of those inquiries was when I was looking to refi my mortgage last fall.

I app'd for Discover It last Oct, just shy of 4 years post BK7 discharge. Turned down flat, rejection letter cited only BK and past delinquencies (I've never had a DS card, so I didn't burn them in BK, and I have no delinquencies on EQ) . Recon was useless. Fast forward 8 months and the last 3 weeks I've received a weekly invitation letter w/code from Discover. I shredded the first two thinking "Yeah, right - I'm not wasting another HP with these guys!" When the 3rd invite letter came in the mail yesterday I started thinking "Well, maybe they really do want me", and took the plunge and app'd. It said "You're approved", but then asked for more info on employment and home ownership, and then it gave a message "Your card, credit limit and other important information will arrive in 5-10 days". I've never had a CC approval that didn't tell me the CL and APR, and was thinking " I'll bet these jokers are giving me something like a $500 CL which will make the 1 yr. 0% APR and double cashback useless!" So I look up the backdoor # here and called, ready to tell them "Thanks, but No thanks" if I got less than $2k SL. Rep was very nice, and told me I was approved for $4k SL and 13.9% APR after the first year of 0%. I didn't even try to recon/barter, just 8 months after being turned down flat I'm happy with that. Smiley Happy

Then, flush with success I made a mistake - I app'd for a Sallie Mae MC, a little too soon. I've had a Barclays Rewards MC since 4/12, SL of $1200 and auto CLI'd to $5700 with regular usage. Got the Barclays NFL card in April for the sole purpose of using the 15 mo 0% BT to pay off a $4k Prosper loan., that 65% util sure dinged my CS, but made financial sense as I'll payoff the BT much faster @0% than I would have with Prosper @11%. The app said "Under Review", so I call the Credit Analyst - super nice lady and we had a good conversation, I even mentioned the MyFico forum as a place for very useful info. She said she couldn't approve SM "at this time" as my NFL card is considered too new to rate. I told her I've budgeted payments to get the NFL balance down under 30% util by December and asked if that would be a good time to reapply for Salie Mae. Rep said "With another 6 months of payments on the NFL and paying down the balance that much we'll look forward to hearing from you again". 

So, a good little app spree - redeemed myself with Discover, and learned a good lesson on how to keep Barclays happy to keep extending more credit to me. Oh, and I asked the Barclays CA if 2 accounts with just under $11k combined CLs was too much for them to give me a 3rd card and CL, she said "Oh no, for our good customers we can approve a 3rd card and more credit".Smiley Tongue

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Scupra
Super Contributor

Re: Tip Toed out of the garden, got 1 of 2 apps approved

Congrats on Discover again Smiley Very Happy

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 2 of 5
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congrats!

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 3 of 5
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

Congrats! So did we tiptoe back to the garden? :-)
Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 4 of 5
somotao
Frequent Contributor

Congratulations.....you'll definitely enjoy the double cash back  promotion

Starting Score: 500s
Current Score: EQ: 708myFICO(7/15/17), TU: 721myFICO(7/15/17), EX: 701myFICO(7/15/17)
Goal Score: 750

Wallet: Discover IT $50300, Capital One Platinum $17000, Barclays Rewards $6700, Walmart $6000, Amazon Store Card $6000 Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000, Chase Sapphire Reserve $10000, Bank of America Cash Rewards $500. BestBuy $10000
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.