Re: PenFed likes me! $9500 CLI

Congrats on the PenFed love!

3/16/18 FICO9 TU-700 EQ-669 EX-716
6/26/18 FICO9 TU-750, EQ-672, EX-789

Message 11 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

They sure do...Smiley Happy...congrats!!

Message 12 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it normal for BT offers to result in a CLI? I receive them from Cap One all the time, but always just ignore them. 

CONGRATS on the increase! Definitely worth the HP.

Message 13 of 46
RicHowe
Valued Contributor

I just opened a checking and savings with PenFed. Waiting until 90 days to see if I get any pre-approvals for the Power Cash card. So far it's been a good transition to them - a bit clunky, but not too bad.

Message 14 of 46
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Is it normal for BT offers to result in a CLI? I receive them from Cap One all the time, but always just ignore them. 

CONGRATS on the increase! Definitely worth the HP.

Thanks again everyone!  Yes, LinCan certainly worth the HP.  The last one back in January got me a $12.5k CLI and a new $10k card, and the one when I joined got me a foot in the door, the original $7500 line, and we were able to refi DW's auto loan from the 5% it was at with a dealer-introduced almost-local credit union to 1.99%.  PenFed has its quirks (as RicHowe alluded to), but overall I have been very happy with them so far!

As for BT offers themselves resulting in a CLI, I haven't really seen that with any lender.  I will say that was the key to my $12.5k CLI when I had to call to recon.  It went pending and the original loan officer that saw it decided I had enough revolving credit across all lenders for my income.  The BT reason I gave made the loan officer I spoke with willing to open the purse strings and since then my new app and this CLI were instant decisions by the computer.

With BoA, accepting a BT offer particularly when using a lot of the credit line (like 60-80%) seems to have done wonders in the past when asking for CLIs.  In the past 13 months, I went from $8100 on one card to $75k across four cards with them, and DW went from $25k to $70k.  Two of our cards (originally with MBNA) grew massive even though they haven't seen a single swipe in at least a decade and the BankAmericard that I was approved for last November started at $12k and is now at $33,600 (it was momentarily at $34,600 this summer but some of the limit was taken to open a Cash Rewards card).  With Discover, paying off a large balance transfer seems to also trigger better CLIs.  Unfortunately, I personally have zero experience with ever getting a single CLI across 6 cards in 20+ years with CapOne and my last card will be closed either when they close it from inactivity or by me when my utilization gets down to 8.9%.

Message 15 of 46
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@RicHowe wrote:

I just opened a checking and savings with PenFed. Waiting until 90 days to see if I get any pre-approvals for the Power Cash card. So far it's been a good transition to them - a bit clunky, but not too bad.

Why wait for a pre-approval as it is the same HP to open the savings accounts you are still going to get the AAoA hit..So no harm/foul if you want to try now.

Message 16 of 46
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on the CLI.. My favorite 2% card right there.  Just got that BT offer as well in the email although pretty sure they always have those offers on that card although not 100% sure maybe that is just the promise?

Message 17 of 46
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Absolutely correct on using the same HP for a new card (or pretty much any other lending product), but I don't want to nudge Ric out of the garden. Smiley Wink

It really is a great 2% card. (Other than the fact that it's about the thickness of one of those flexi records we used to cut off of the back of cereal boxes - and hey, who let Mr. T sing? I pity the fool that had to listen to it twice.)  I said to someone yesterday that these forums have made me completely jaded when I have a great 2% cash back card that is sock drawered because it's only a 2% card.  I mean why use that when I have 3 cards (soon 4, Citi!) with 5% categories or can potentially get even more value from a points/miles card?  This is the first BT offer I have had on this card since opening it.  PenFed Defender always has 4.99% for 12 months with no balance transfer fee, which is a product feature rather than an actual offer. (Important to note that if a balance transfer is actually paid off in even increments over 12 months, 4.99% with no fee will actually cost you less than a 0% APR with a 3% fee.)

Message 18 of 46
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Very nice KSmiley Happy Looks like Penfed enjoys your companySmiley Happy Now if UncleB will make an appearance and include a Mask gif, my work is done hereSmiley Wink.

Ps, lol income is sufficient, all i ever get was insufficient hahaSmiley Happy
Message 19 of 46
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Ya the card is cheaply made that is for sure although I swipe tht for my non cat spend most of the time and get around 10$ back a month.  Not huge money, but money none-the-less.  My card I have had since April already needs pretty much replaced due to the cheapness of the materials they made it with looks like it went through a battle.

Message 20 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.