cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATED: One CL increase just granted. Possible to increase the rest, too?

tag
StriderM99
New Contributor

UPDATED: One CL increase just granted. Possible to increase the rest, too?

Quick background info...

I have 3 credit cards.

Discover Escape- opened with $5200 CL Jan/2012 - Increased to $10,000 Jan/2013 by request

Chase Freedom- opened with $3500 CL Jan/2012

Capital One Platinum - opened with $500 CL Oct/2011 - Auto increased to $750 after 3 months of good history UPDATED: increased to $5,000 and no AF after contacting Executive's Office

Capital One was my first card, and currently has an AF of $60 (I believe, I may be wrong... I never look at it) It has no rewards, perks, etc.  EDIT: IT HAS CASH REWARDS POINTS. Basically opened it to get my foot in the door so I could build credit card history. I've had student loans and auto loans in my name for years now, but never had a credit card until the fall of 2011.

After the first couple months, the capital one card auto increased to $750 (as expected). And there it stands. I've read on here that it won't increase, and I understand that.

I got married in October 2012. My wife and I combined bank accounts, bills, etc... Everything is under one name now. I've added her as an Authorized User on my Discover card and Chase card.

As of right now, I pay in full every month before any due dates. My statements always read Zero. We are both very good with our spending habits.

For the hell of it, last night I clicked on Discoverer's "Request Increase" button on their website. I filled out the quick info, and requested to be increased to $10,000. Immediately, I got a message saying they'll increase me $500, or, if I wish, they can further investigate, and let me know in 7-10 business days. I opted to further investigate.

When I signed on to Discoverer's website today after work, I found my CL was already increased to the $10,000 that I requested.

Great! I won't ever use that much, but having the higher CL makes me feel more comfortable, so I was happy to see it granted.

So.. My question is... Will Chase increase if I ask them to right now? Will they deny because of the recent Discover increase? My goal is to get a high enough CL on my cards so I can stay below 10% utilization during the month without compromising my normal spending habits.

Also.. Any recommendations on what to do with the Capital One card? Now that I have established credit card history (although short), the capital one card is completely useless to me now, besides helping with my average age of accounts. Can I somehow have it upgraded to a card with perks, and with a useful CL and lower/no AF? I basically pay the annual fee and let the card sit in my wallet all year.

My credit scores are currently all in the 720s- 730s. The last addition to my reports was my mortgage (started to report Oct 2012). I am assuming Discover did a hard pull today for my CL increase they just gave me, so I understand that my scores are probably a few points lower as of today.

UPDATE: 1/29: Capital One executive office is going to possibly increase my credit limit and waive the AF for me. I'll hear back in 7-10 days

UPDATE: 2/3: Capital One increased CL from $750 to $5,000, and removed AF

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
astritaho1979
Frequent Contributor

Re: One CL increase just granted. Possible to increase the rest, too?

@StriderM99 wrote:

Quick background info...

I have 3 credit cards.

Discover Escape- opened with $5200 CL Jan/2012

Chase Freedom- opened with $3000 CL Jan/2012

Capital One Platinum - opened with $500 CL Oct/2011

Capital One was my first card, and currently has an AF of $60 (I believe, I may be wrong... I never look at it) It has no rewards, perks, etc. Basically opened it to get my foot in the door so I could build credit card history. I've had student loans and auto loans in my name for years now, but never had a credit card until the fall of 2011.

After the first couple months, the capital one card auto increased to $750 (as expected). And there it stands. I've read on here that it won't increase, and I understand that.

I got married in October 2012. My wife and I combined bank accounts, bills, etc... Everything is under one name now. I've added her as an Authorized User on my Discover card and Chase card.

As of right now, I pay in full every month before any due dates. My statements always read Zero. We are both very good with our spending habits.

For the hell of it, last night I clicked on Discoverer's "Request Increase" button on their website. I filled out the quick info, and requested to be increased to $10,000. Immediately, I got a message saying they'll increase me $500, or, if I wish, they can further investigate, and let me know in 7-10 business days. I opted to further investigate.

When I signed on to Discoverer's website today after work, I found my CL was already increased to the $10,000 that I requested.

Great! I won't ever use that much, but having the higher CL makes me feel more comfortable, so I was happy to see it granted.

So.. My question is... Will Chase increase if I ask them to right now? Will they deny because of the recent Discover increase? My goal is to get a high enough CL on my cards so I can stay below 10% utilization during the month without compromising my normal spending habits.

Also.. Any recommendations on what to do with the Capital One card? Now that I have established credit card history (although short), the capital one card is completely useless to me now, besides helping with my average age of accounts. Can I somehow have it upgraded to a card with perks, and with a useful CL and lower/no AF? I basically pay the annual fee and let the card sit in my wallet all year.

My credit scores are currently all in the 720s- 730s. The last addition to my reports was my mortgage (started to report Oct 2012). I am assuming Discover did a hard pull today for my CL increase they just gave me, so I understand that my scores are probably a few points lower as of today.

Probably by 2 points or less.You will be ok as long as you close the c1 and make room for prime cards.Lenders do not like to see them there imo.Good luck.ps your score is very good

COMMERCE BANK PLATINIUM VISA 20K*PAYPAL MC $9.5K*CITI FORWARD $8.5K*PENFED $6,5K*
*LOWES $6K *CMN BANK $5.2K-*PNC $5K*SCLUB DISC. $5K*
WMART DISC.4K*CMN BANK 3.75K*BANK OF AMERICA $3K* MACYS $2.2K*
JCP $1.8*TARGET $0.7K* UTL1%- AAOA 5.5- TOTAL 12 yrs History/
Transunion 718 Equifax 733- Experian 736
Message 2 of 23
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I would email the capital one executive office. Could probably get a cli and rewards added on.
Message 3 of 23
StriderM99
New Contributor

I actually just read the other thread about that. It sounds like that would be a possible solution for me.

Message 4 of 23
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@StriderM99 wrote:

I actually just read the other thread about that. It sounds like that would be a possible solution for me.

I would wait until your new Discover limit shows up on your reports to give Chase some incentive to up your limit! 

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 5 of 23
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@ryanbush wrote:

@StriderM99 wrote:

I would wait until your new Discover limit shows up on your reports to give Chase some incentive to up your limit! 

+1

Message 6 of 23
chnceit
Valued Contributor

@astritaho1979 wrote:

@StriderM99 wrote:

Quick background info...

I have 3 credit cards.

Capital One was my first card, and currently has an AF of $60 (I believe, I may be wrong... I never look at it) It has no rewards, perks, etc. Basically opened it to get my foot in the door so I could build credit card history. I've had student loans and auto loans in my name for years now, but never had a credit card until the fall of 2011.

Probably by 2 points or less.You will be ok as long as you close the c1 and make room for prime cards.Lenders do not like to see them there imo.Good luck.ps your score is very good

I am sorry but Cap One is not bad. First Premier is bad. 

I have a Cap One and it does me good. I got approved with high limits with this Cap One reporting. 

Email Cap One and ask them to remove your AF and request a CLI.

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 7 of 23
jennylocha
Regular Contributor

@chnceit wrote:

@astritaho1979 wrote:

@StriderM99 wrote:

Quick background info...

I have 3 credit cards.

I am sorry but Cap One is not bad. First Premier is bad. 

I have a Cap One and it does me good. I got approved with high limits with this Cap One reporting. 

Email Cap One and ask them to remove your AF and request a CLI.

YUP! and while you're at it, tell them to add some Cash Rewards to that bad boy! They did it for me and I haven't even had the card for a full year yet. went from $1000 to $2500 and Cash Rewards all by emailing the EO. Keep the card, Cap One is pretty decent f you stay on top of it. Good Luck!

Current Score: TU 671 / EQ 675 / EX 682
Goal Score: 700 Club Across the board!

Message 8 of 23
StriderM99
New Contributor

If possible, I'd like to keep the Capital One line open. I just went on the Cap One website and tried the "Chat" feature to ask about a CL increase. No go. Who ever I was talking to said I'd get a letter in 7-10 days explaining why. I'm going to go ahead and email the exec. office and see where that gets me. My only problem is that they supposedly call during the week, during business hours, at which point, I'm never available.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, when I signed onto the website, I noticed I actually do have cash rewards points. That just shows how rarely I ever sign on to the account, haha. I will edit my first post to mention this new found info.

Message 9 of 23
Bobert22
Contributor

Capital One is ridiculous. The Cap1 plantium (no fee version) was my sisters first credit card account in 2005 and started with a $300 limit. After a year Captial One increased it to $500. ahe recently tried to get a CLi and was denied. It's been at $500 for 7 years. And she uses the card maybe like once or twice every two months for charges under $50. She's always paid the account in full and never carried a balance. Not to mention she's never had a late payment and has plenty of other prime cards such as Chase freedom with $7500 limit, and Discover $5000, etc. perfect credit history and no baddies at all. 

Captial one is ridiculous really. 

Capital One 2006--$5,000 ||| AMEX Macy's 2008--$2,300 ||| Kohl's 2009-- $1,000 ||| JCP 2010-- $1,000 ||| Walmart Discover 2010-- $5,000 ||| Sears 2011 -- $3,600 ||| Sears 2011 -- $3,500 ||| Chase Freedom 2012--$7,500 ||| Discover IT 2013 -- $4,000
||| Chase Sapphire Preferred 2013 -- $10,000

SCORES: EQ FICO: 787, EX FAKO: 801, TU FICO: 790 (Lender Pull)
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.