Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Bank Cash + $500 to $5000 approved!

tag
dlister70
Frequent Contributor

US Bank Cash + $500 to $5000 approved!

I applied for a US Bank Cash + card because they are going to start having utilities as one of the categories for 5% cash back (it's replacing bookstore).  I applied last week and called the automated line and heard that I was approved a couple days later.  I waited for the card to come to see what my limit was, and it arrived yesterday and I saw that it was only $500.  I was pretty disappointed, because I've got a couple $10k cards and a couple $4k cards, so I figured it would have a higher limit than that, and had the number $5,000 in my mind as the ideal amount.  This would let me pay my power bill/water/trash and stay under 10% utilization each month.

I called underwriting yesterday at 1-800-947-1444, and just asked the CSR if there was anything that I could do to get a higher limit.  She asked for my income, my monthly mortgage payment, and then asked how much I was wanting to get.  I asked if they would counter offer if I picked something too high, or was it an all or nothing situation?  She said they would counter if they needed to.  I told her I was hoping for $5,000 but would accept a counter offer.  She asked for the reason for the limit increase, and I just said that it was for utilization purposes because I was trying to keep my card utilization under 10% and it would be difficult with a $500 limit.

I checked my account just now (only about 18 hours after the call) and saw that my limit is now $5,000!!

I picked bookstores and fast food for my 5% categories, and restaurants as the 2% in case I go somewhere thinking that it will be categorized as fast food and it turns out to be restaurant instead (apparently some pizza places are fast food and some aren't!).  It let me pick the categories for next quarter already, so I picked utilities and fast food for next quarter.  I'm pretty excited to have a utility category card, and my PNC card only has 3% on dining (both restaurants and fast food included), so I'm down to only using it for sit down restaurants now that I've got a card with a higher fast food %.

They pulled Transunion, and my TU Fico 8 score is 740 at the moment according to Discover.  5 recent inquiries, and I've opened 4 new cards in the past 5 months.  Average age of account is only 1.5 years due to all those recent cards.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: US Bank Cash + $500 to $5000 approved!

Congratulations for getting your US Bank card and an increase in your SL! Remember that this card will grow over time as US Bank uses SP for CLI

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations! Same thing happened to me and I called yesterday and asked for 15K because my average CL is 19000 so I hope I have the same luck. TU is 765.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

dlister70 nice recon! Glad you could get the limit usable to allow for your utilities and so on. Used to have this card so I know you will appreciate the categories (as long as they don't nerf them). Enjoy Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 10
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Good job on the limit recon and congrats on the new card!
Message 5 of 10
jlitnns
Established Contributor

Congrats on the USbank Card and persistence on the recon!

Robot Very Happy

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice!
Message 7 of 10
dlister70
Frequent Contributor

@jlitnnswrote:

Congrats on the USbank Card and persistence on the recon!

Robot Very Happy

I'm glad that I am on this forum, or I would not have even thought to call.  I didn't realize that you could just ask them to reconsider your initial limit until I read about someone calling in about this very card!  I just thought that you got whatever they thought they could "risk" with you based on your income and credit score, but I'm glad that the recon worked and they gave me a usable limit!!  Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your increase!

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!! Thats a card that i have had my eye on!!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.