Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA VISA/Mastercard rewards

tag
Bleety17
Regular Contributor

USAA VISA/Mastercard rewards

Was just approved for both USAA Credit Cards. 2000 limit for both.  I have had there secured CC for over a year and these are my first unsecured cards in 5 years

Should I try for any other credit cards? Currently I only have those 3 cards...

USAA Mastercard-$2000 USAA Visa-$2000 USAA SC-$600 NFCU-$12500 Walmart-$3500 BestBuy $1000 Navcheck 3000

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: USAA VISA/Mastercard rewards

Congrats on your new cards Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 14
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Congrats! In my opinion I would show at least 6 months usage on your current cards with the scores you have in your signature. Thanks for sharing.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 3 of 14
baller4life
Super Contributor

Congrats on your new cards. Garden for 6 months at least. Then you should be in a better position for more cards with higher limits!

Message 4 of 14
Bleety17
Regular Contributor

Thanks guys! I saw your messages to late. Denied for Discover it.

At what point do I ask for a CLI?

USAA Mastercard-$2000 USAA Visa-$2000 USAA SC-$600 NFCU-$12500 Walmart-$3500 BestBuy $1000 Navcheck 3000

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Outstanding! You are moving back into the world of credit. USAA treats you right. Great start!
Message 6 of 14
K9Veteran
Established Member

Smiley HappyBLEETY17,

Here is what I know about USAA. I applied for a CC back in late 2013 for their low rates to replace my Chase card which was at 17.9%, My true FIco was / is low 800´s. Equifax made a big mistake and showed ¨No Score¨ for me and as a result,  USAA gave me a Visa with $500 CL. I then fell out of my chair.

When I called and spoke to someone in the exec office about the problem, this is what I was told.

1. USAA always pull from Equifax on initial credit apps, no exceptions

2. USAA will under no circumstances consider a credit line increase for 180 days, regardless of the reason (Even the SNAFU caused by Equifax)

3. If you ask for a CLI after a minimum of 180 days, they pull your data from Experian,

4. ¨Usually¨, and that is the key word here USUALLY, on a CLI, it will be 100% of your current limit. In your case 2k would go to 4k.

After about 60 days of talking/fighting with Equifax to get the problem fixed, I called USAA back, As suggested by the rep in the exec office, I CANCELLED MY $500 CL CARD (Due to the 180 day CLI rule), waited two days and applied for the Wounded Warrior Mastercard. I was approved for 14K at 11.9 % ....Note this card has a 2 point higher APR because it supports WWP. I am a disabled veteran and I would ask EVERYONE to get this card and use it once in a while.

One month later,  I applied for their simple Mastercard (lowest possible APR 6.9%), I was approved for 15K with a 7.9 APR.

ALL THIS SAID, as I mentioned earlier about USUALLY on a CLI, in MY case,  I can´t imagine that if I were to ask for a CLI in 180 days that they would increase my CL from 15K to 30K and 14K to 28K,, but who knows.BUt knowing that I know about USAA´s credit line limits, you will probabl have no problem getting the 100% increase.

ALSO, from that I understand (not confirmed) USAA´s limits is THREE cards, so if true, you would need to cancel your secured card to get a third unsecured card from USAA.

Have you tried NAVY FEDERAL CU? They are really good to service members and retired Vets

HOPE THIS INFO HELPS !

Message 7 of 14
efranklin23
Valued Contributor

@Bleety17 wrote:

Was just approved for both USAA Credit Cards. 2000 limit for both.  I have had there secured CC for over a year and these are my first unsecured cards in 5 years

Should I try for any other credit cards? Currently I only have those 3 cards...

Congrats on the new cards!

AMEX BCE (30K), DISCOVER IT (29.5K), NFCU CASH REWARDS (25K), BOA TRAVEL REWARDS (15K), USAA VISA (13K), CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE (13K), COMMENCE MASTERCARD (7.5K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), TFCU CC (2.5K), TARGET REDCARD (900)
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting info. There computer may limit HP to 2x the credit line without manual review however, I took issue with the CLI hard inquiry and pushed the increase to manual review where they asked me what CL I wanted and they approved it (well past 2x). Congrats on your great CLs and APRs!
Message 9 of 14
Bleety17
Regular Contributor

I forgot to mention i applied for a NFCU card. I was told it had to be reviewed..

got a message todaying saying "Congratulations! Based on your creditworthiness, you have been approved for a goRewards Visa credit card. Your new credit line will be $12,500.00."

SOOOO HAPPPYY!  NOW its time to garden!

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.