Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA approved...question about NFCU

tag
dollar_bill
Regular Contributor

USAA approved...question about NFCU

So today I was approved for a USAA World MC, and now i'm well on my path to ditch US Bank entirely.

I have recently applied for a TE Amex card (approved) and now this one. So that's 2 inquiries in less than a month, I was wondering if anyone has had a problem with NFCU approval based on too many recent inquiries? I'm still "processing" membership with NFCU so I'm hesitant to apply for credit before I'm a member, I guess it makes a difference?

My goal is to add a NFCU card, then I can begin to close some lesser old cards I never use anymore..stuff from the really rebuilding days. Plus I have to close my Military Star card (leaving the Armed Forces) so that's another lost card.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
namvet
Established Contributor

Re: USAA approved...question about NFCU

@dollar_bill wrote:

So today I was approved for a USAA World MC, and now i'm well on my path to ditch US Bank entirely.

I have recently applied for a TE Amex card (approved) and now this one. So that's 2 inquiries in less than a month, I was wondering if anyone has had a problem with NFCU approval based on too many recent inquiries? I'm still "processing" membership with NFCU so I'm hesitant to apply for credit before I'm a member, I guess it makes a difference?

My goal is to add a NFCU card, then I can begin to close some lesser old cards I never use anymore..stuff from the really rebuilding days. Plus I have to close my Military Star card (leaving the Armed Forces) so that's another lost card.

USAA is a great company and should be able to meet all youe needs.  I don't have NFCU but there are many on here that do.  I think you have to be on active duty to qualify for their cards or have a qualified family member.  How many inquiries do you have in the last 12 months?

Message 2 of 11
hot4u
Established Contributor

NFCU isn't inquirie sensative like other banks/Credit union.

Definitly wait till your Membership is approved.

If you push to fast they may come back and ask for all kinds of documents.

(Chase)- Freedom, CSP®, United MileagePlus® Explorer, Marriott Rewards® Premier, Penfed cash+ rewards/Promise/Defender.
Amex’s- BCE, Hilton, SPG®, PRG® and Blue®, NFCU Cash Rewards, FHB Destinations World Elite.
- Amex Centurion,(Citi) Executive/Platinum® Advantage

Alaska Airlines
Message 3 of 11
TheClub
Frequent Contributor

I wouldn't recommend closing your "old" accounts.  This may cause your FICO score to fluctuate as your average age of accounts will eventually lower. If there aren't any AFs attached, you should reconsider.

Just some advice.

"When you're fresh meat you kill... and give them something fresher" (Frank Underwood)
Message 4 of 11
dollar_bill
Regular Contributor

Thank you for the replies guys....

I think I can afford to close some lines ,my AAoA is 17+years. I want to keep my revovling total as useful credit, not stuff like a 5k hooters card (merrick now). I am also thinking about closing Barclays. If I can shave off 20k in revolving a company like Amex might be more inclined to make up the difference. Any flaws with this logic?

I think I have to be a NFCU member to apply anyways?

I want two banks, one for each source of income. I'm likely to save more cash if I don't see a savings balance. To me, savings has never really meant savings Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 11
dollar_bill
Regular Contributor

FYI... for anyone else interested to know, I asked the NFCU rep on the phone about membership.. I told her I'm going to be out of the military in a few months and I was wondering if that would have any impact on my membership? She said absolutely not, once a member always a member, but if I ever close my account I would have to be otherwise elgible to become a member again.

I guess I have to wait for a letter with info on how to setup my account, but it's good news for me. US Bank can soon go  RIP as I let my accounts sit idle until they close them.

Message 6 of 11
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Congratulations on your approvals! Sounds like you can afford to get rid of some dead weight. Closed accounts can stay up to 10 yrs on your CR's, so I wouldn't worry about that-just make sure your util won't take a hit.

Thank you for your service.
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I say pull the trigger with NFCU once your membership gets approved.  I hope they're not inquiry sensitive, I'm pretty sure everyone on this thread got a HP from NFCU just for replying Smiley Wink  My wife and I didn't have any issues when either of us applied.

Oz

Message 8 of 11
dollar_bill
Regular Contributor

Well, NFCU definitely hard pulled TU. I know I had a fraud alert on EQ so they may have tried that bureau first, dunno. I haven't applied for credit it's amazing they HP for membership.

Message 9 of 11
Scupra
Super Contributor

They usually hp EQ for credit products and TU for membership. They aren't inquiry sensitive, ymmv, and are very generous!
Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.