Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unexpected AmEx Approval

tag
iCoop
Regular Contributor

Unexpected AmEx Approval

I'm on cloud 9 at the moment!!! Let me explain:

A few years back while in college I didn't do right by American Express, I ran up a hefty $9000 credit card and then settled for a little under 25% of the original amount. At the time I thought settling would be the best thing to do, but I didn't realize that the company I would later work for uses American Express corporate cards for company expenses. AmEx gave me the benefit of removing the negative tradeline from all of my credit reports which was a HUGE favor they didn't have to do but not opening up a new card until my balance was zeroed out. So the last year or so I decided to work with American Express on paying off the remainder of the balance even though I was under no obligation to do so. I've reduced the bill down to roughly $500 and have read so much on these forums that AmEx does not forgive until you owe them absolutely nothing which I witnessed earlier this year when I applied for a card and received a letter saying I was not approved until my past debts were fulfilled. They didn't even run a credit check. Fast forward to today and someone must have forgiven me because even though my balance is not fully paid off, they manually approved me for a new revolving AmEx card!

According to the AmEx Status Check Results:

Status of Application: "Approved"

Next Step: "Congratulations! Your application has been approved and you should receive your new card within 7-10 days. 
If you requested a balance transfer to this card, click here to view the status of that transfer"

I would like to know the terms of the card and the limit but I dare not call in... or should I?

Starting Score: EQ 675 | TU 688 | EX 702
Current Score: EQ 795 | TU 788 | EX 770
Goal Score: 750 (Across All 3)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
iCoop
Regular Contributor

Re: Unexpected AmEx Approval

I wonder whether it will have a new membership date or the original date I joined.

Message 2 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats. That nice to hear. Good luck with the card.
Message 3 of 28
GABrown
New Contributor

Thats the first time i have heard of this...Thats really awesome and congrats as well!!!
Message 4 of 28
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Call them!!!! Now don't try for a cli until it's completely paid off... Ive seen ops get approved with old debts from Amex but then denied the 61day 3xcli bc of the old debt lol!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 5 of 28
iCoop
Regular Contributor

I'll definitely go for the 61-day 3X CLI but by that time I will have fully paid back the old debt.

I'm still on the fence about calling in. What would I say lol: I'm calling to check the status and terms of my new card? I can see the rep now saying hold on while we check into this as you have a previously closed account associated with this SSN...

Message 6 of 28
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Log into americanexpress.com and the date at the top of the main screen will tell you your member since year.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 7 of 28
Happychap
Frequent Contributor

Congrats! However, please note that usually in cases like this you will be automatically flagged for FR. once you settle they are willing to issue another card but don't be surprised of you find your unable to use the card straight away or shortly after. Keep a backup card on hand.
Message 8 of 28
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

The reps aren't credit analysts though... They really can't aa you or anything, I wouldn't think....not 100%.

Haha what if they Financial Review you.
Oh f***!!!

:-P jk!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 9 of 28
beb86
Valued Contributor

AMEX uses inhouse collections which is a benefit when you want to do right by them...Congrats... what card did you get approved for 

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.