cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updated: WOW!!!! Offers from Citi Cards.

tag
JP1950

Updated: WOW!!!! Offers from Citi Cards.

About a month ago I got a pre-approval for a Citi Thank You Premier Visa Card did not think much of it at the time. Now I also got one not long ago saying I might be interested in a Citi Prestige World Elite Master Card. As I just started posting on here I thiought I would just ask. I have been thinking if I should go for it or not. I have not opened any new cards in over two years. What card would be better the Citi Thank You Premier Visa Card or Citi Prestige World Elite Master Card?  Both will come with first year free and APR as low as 10.99% (I always pay in full so that does not really matter)

If anybody seen my other post I also have a few cards with Citi:

(All always paid off each statement)

Dividend Would Master Card: $48,500 (25 year old card)

Home Depot Credit Card: $17,700

Best Buy Credit Card: $15,000

Sears Master Card $18,100

Would they give me yet another card with all of these? Would I get a high starting limit with what I have already? Should I just forget about it or go for one? Any thoughts?Maybe I should just stick with what I have any leave it?

Also do these cards give you a limit  and tell you what they are as they are World Elites? I hate having cards where I don’t know the limit. One reason I never use my Amex PRG.

FICO: 814

Experian: 802

Update: On page 2!!!

Well I went for it and WOW. Talk about giving somebody a heart attack!!

Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Offers from Citi Cards. What to do?

Obviously personal opinion here:

a) There is almost no point in getting the premier now (the card has had all of its good features removed) unless you want to get the bonus points, and they aren't that special.  It does give 3x on dining/entertainment, but these are in TY points, which don't have great redemption options.  Mnay would say that 2 UR points more than equals 3 TYP, so the CSP is a better card here.

b) Prestige.  If you can get it for no AF the first year (I think enharu did) then possibly worthwhile to see how it fits you needs.  It has the features that made the Premier good before that card was nerfed: 15% off airfare (excluding taxes), flight points for flights  bought with the card, 1.33 enhancement on points used for travel, and a yearly international companion ticket.   However, the AF is fairly high and the lounge access program isn't considered very good.  I got a lot of value from the Premier when it had these benefits, but also be aware of the limitations, no transfer of points to other programs apart from Hilton.   Also, like the Amex Plat, this card also offers $200 airline charge rebates and an offer on Global Entry.

Limits depend on income etc and whether you have reached an exposure limit with Citi.  I think someone here got the Prestige with a CL around $8K, others got it with much higher limits.

Message 2 of 37
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

a) There is almost no point in getting the premier now (the card has had all of its good features removed) unless you want to get the bonus points, and they aren't that special.  It does give 3x on dining/entertainment, but these are in TY points, which don't have great redemption options.  Mnay would say that 2 UR points more than equals 3 TYP, so the CSP is a better card here.

b) Prestige.  If you can get it for no AF the first year (I think enharu did) then possibly worthwhile to see how it fits you needs.  It has the features that made the Premier good before that card was nerfed: 15% off airfare (excluding taxes), flight points for flights  bought with the card, 1.33 enhancement on points used for travel, and a yearly international companion ticket.   However, the AF is fairly high and the lounge access program isn't considered very good.  I got a lot of value from the Premier when it had these benefits, but also be aware of the limitations, no transfer of points to other programs apart from Hilton.   Also, like the Amex Plat, this card also offers $200 airline charge rebates and an offer on Global Entry.

Limits depend on income etc and whether you have reached an exposure limit with Citi.  I think someone here got the Prestige with a CL around $8K, others got it with much higher limits.

+1

Unless you've reached that exposure ceiling, it's anyone's guess what CL assignment they could approve.  Seems like you've had a very established relationship with Citi overall though.

Message 3 of 37
JP1950

@longtimelurker wrote:

I'm thinking of trying for the Prestige card right now!

Message 4 of 37
JP1950

Ahhhhhh I'm here looking at the app page thinking sould I?? Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 37
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Based on what longtimelurker has already shared earlier (very savvy advice if you ask me), the decision is ultimately up to you.

Message 6 of 37
JP1950

@FinStar wrote:

Based on what longtimelurker has already shared earlier (very savvy advice if you ask me), the decision is ultimately up to you.

What the heck I'm going for it!

Message 7 of 37
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Good luck - let us know how it turned out.

Message 8 of 37
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

It's very tempting to say "Oh, the PRESTIGE.  I thought you were talking about..."  but I won't. 

Message 9 of 37
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

It's very tempting to say "Oh, the PRESTIGE.  I thought you were talking about..."  but I won't. 

You've done it again longtimelurker...LOL.   I'm just counting the days when DigitalArk sucumbs to the Barclays Sallie Mae temptation Robot LOL

Message 10 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.