Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wal-Mart Discover Upgrade

tag
Genkeim
Frequent Contributor

Wal-Mart Discover Upgrade

So, did my normal morning log in to my Wal-Mart account ($800 CL), see if there was some auto-luv (was denied a CL last month) and check to see if this months FICO had shown up. Got the popup saying I had been approved to upgrade to the Discover.

First thought was "Ugh, if I accept it'll close a TL and open a new one". Second thought was "Well, Wal-mart is ditching Discover this summer and moving to MC and I'm hopeful it'll be the same reward structure as the Sams version". Third thought was "Isn't it amazing I'm sitting here thinking these thoughts instead of just blindly just clicking accept?".

Since it'll give me the new MC when WalMart makes the switch I decided to go ahead and take the upgrade. Filled in income, clicked a cpl boxes and I'm approved with a $3k CL !!!! Basically a $2200 CLI when I was denied a CLI a month ago... I'm not arguing!

NFCU NavCheck $15k | NFCU cashRewards $12.5k | NFCU goRewards $12.5k |AMEX SPG $10k | Citi AA WEMC $6.5k | CSP $5k | Wal-Mart MC $4.5k | US Air WMC $3.9k | Amex Everyday $2k | Amex BCE $2k | Chase Freedom $1k | Discover IT $800
Current Scores:Equifax 697 (myFICO 4/14), TransUnion 699 (Discover 5/14), Experian 754 (Amex 5/14)
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Wal-Mart Discover Upgrade

Congrats on upgrade and CLI!
Message 2 of 16
tattooedhusker
Established Contributor

@Genkeim wrote:

So, did my normal morning log in to my Wal-Mart account ($800 CL), see if there was some auto-luv (was denied a CL last month) and check to see if this months FICO had shown up. Got the popup saying I had been approved to upgrade to the Discover.

First thought was "Ugh, if I accept it'll close a TL and open a new one". Second thought was "Well, Wal-mart is ditching Discover this summer and moving to MC and I'm hopeful it'll be the same reward structure as the Sams version". Third thought was "Isn't it amazing I'm sitting here thinking these thoughts instead of just blindly just clicking accept?".

Since it'll give me the new MC when WalMart makes the switch I decided to go ahead and take the upgrade. Filled in income, clicked a cpl boxes and I'm approved with a $3k CL !!!! Basically a $2200 CLI when I was denied a CLI a month ago... I'm not arguing!

Congrats on the upgrade! Only concern is when it switches from Discover to Mastercard, is that going to be another new TL?

NFCU CashRewards $13.5k | AMEX BCE $15k | Lowes $17k | Sportsmanss guide $7.6k | Chase Freedom $1k | Discover IT $4.4k |
Walmart $8k | Gordman's $2950
Message 3 of 16
Genkeim
Frequent Contributor

From what I've been reading about the Sams switch over it'll be another new TL. On the bright side I was approved for an Amex Everyday last week and my app for a BCP is "In Progress". My Amex cards are backdated to 1990 so my AAoA should be in good shape 1 to 2 new accounts with a 24 year history each.

NFCU NavCheck $15k | NFCU cashRewards $12.5k | NFCU goRewards $12.5k |AMEX SPG $10k | Citi AA WEMC $6.5k | CSP $5k | Wal-Mart MC $4.5k | US Air WMC $3.9k | Amex Everyday $2k | Amex BCE $2k | Chase Freedom $1k | Discover IT $800
Current Scores:Equifax 697 (myFICO 4/14), TransUnion 699 (Discover 5/14), Experian 754 (Amex 5/14)
Message 4 of 16
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Congrats on your upgrade, i recently got the pop up on my walmart card that i was eligible to upgrade to discover card. I decided to pass , i wanted to see what the details of the change to mc will be at end of the summer. For some reason i don't believe it will be the same as Sam's club. Sam's club is membership club , so i would assume their card will get better features. Only time will tell. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 5 of 16
BigBS
Senior Contributor

Congrats!

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 6 of 16
nbean
Regular Contributor

OP, how long have you had the card if you don't mind me asking?

First Ent Visa $21,800, Nasa PLOC $10K, Nasa CC $10K, Citi DoubleCash $12,200K, Penfed Promise $6K, Penfed Cash Rewards $5K, Total Rewards Visa $20K Lowes $35K QuickSilver CapOne WM $20K United Chase VS $2,800 Hyatt Chase VS $2,800 TJMaxx Mastercard $8K Barclays Rewards $3,700, Pier One $8,500 Walmart MC $8K Kohls $3K, Overstock $8,900, Discover $8K, Home Depot $20,700, JCP $10K, Victoria's Secret $5K, Ballard $10K, WilliamsSonoma Visa $11K, Grandin $4K, Banana Republic Visa $6K, Avianca Vida $25K, BoA $15K,BoA 3-2-1 $7,500
Message 7 of 16
Juss11
Frequent Contributor

I got the offer a few months ago aswell. My walmat card CL is $2800 and this walmart discover is $2000. I called in and asked why she said b/c its a new account bla bla bla. She told me I can also keep my walut nomart account So thats what I did. Its been 2 months and both are still open. I know others have said you cant have them both, but no problem here..

Message 8 of 16
Juss11
Frequent Contributor

I had my regular walmart card for 2 years b4 I got the offer. My wife has had hers about the same & still has not gotten it.

Message 9 of 16
alvon123
Super Contributor

congrats

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.