cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart Discover Approval!! And Advice please.

tag
ucigrad2011
Established Member

Walmart Discover Approval!! And Advice please.

Finally took the plunge and applied for a Walmart card, mainly b/c my TU score is best (809 as of today on myFICO) and I needed another revolving card for the "magic" 3 card mix.

Instant approval was $1900.  I thought, "Cool. That's ok, since my Barclays card is at $2300."  But I decided to be brave (thanks to all of you Smiley Happy ) and called underwriting.

Asked for and received a $4000 credit line!!  Woohoo!

Since I'm still rebuilding my question is this:  Should I app for another card (Paypal MC is what I'm thinking) or ask Barclays for a CLI to match the Discover once it's reporting.  My EQ is only at 685, so I'm trying to maximize my card mix and garden until we buy another house in 12-18months.

I've had the Barclays card since 11/11.  Started at $1300,  auto cli at 6 months for another $1k.  1 year auto cli didn't happen Smiley Sad.   Current utilization is 1% and the only TU inquiry is the one from GE today.

Thanks all!

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
astritaho1979
Frequent Contributor

Re: Walmart Discover Approval!! And Advice please.

@ucigrad2011 wrote:

Finally took the plunge and applied for a Walmart card, mainly b/c my TU score is best (809 as of today on myFICO) and I needed another revolving card for the "magic" 3 card mix.

Instant approval was $1900.  I thought, "Cool. That's ok, since my Barclays card is at $2300."  But I decided to be brave (thanks to all of you Smiley Happy ) and called underwriting.

Since I'm still rebuilding my question is this:  Should I app for another card (Paypal MC is what I'm thinking) or ask Barclays for a CLI to match the Discover once it's reporting.  My EQ is only at 685, so I'm trying to maximize my card mix and garden until we buy another house in 12-18months.

I've had the Barclays card since 11/11.  Started at $1300,  auto cli at 6 months for another $1k.  1 year auto cli didn't happen Smiley Sad.   Current utilization is 1% and the only TU inquiry is the one from GE today.

Thanks all!

i am sorry to hear that.As i was saying here several times that barclays is a very unpredictive lender.I would stay away from them and with your high credit score you should focus on other prime lenders and grow the limits with them.Try Citi bank products and Bank of America.Good luck

COMMERCE BANK PLATINIUM VISA 20K*PAYPAL MC $9.5K*CITI FORWARD $8.5K*PENFED $6,5K*
*LOWES $6K *CMN BANK $5.2K-*PNC $5K*SCLUB DISC. $5K*
WMART DISC.4K*CMN BANK 3.75K*BANK OF AMERICA $3K* MACYS $2.2K*
JCP $1.8*TARGET $0.7K* UTL1%- AAOA 5.5- TOTAL 12 yrs History/
Transunion 718 Equifax 733- Experian 736
Message 2 of 15
ucigrad2011
Established Member

Thanks  astritaho1979.  Not sure what you are sorry about -- Barclays hasn't treated me poorly--but I do appreciate the feedback.

Message 3 of 15
astritaho1979
Frequent Contributor

I was saying sorry to hear that because the barlays card has not been very generous with their limits when the fico score you have is exellent high and you could get most of the prime banks to approve you with 10k start limit

COMMERCE BANK PLATINIUM VISA 20K*PAYPAL MC $9.5K*CITI FORWARD $8.5K*PENFED $6,5K*
*LOWES $6K *CMN BANK $5.2K-*PNC $5K*SCLUB DISC. $5K*
WMART DISC.4K*CMN BANK 3.75K*BANK OF AMERICA $3K* MACYS $2.2K*
JCP $1.8*TARGET $0.7K* UTL1%- AAOA 5.5- TOTAL 12 yrs History/
Transunion 718 Equifax 733- Experian 736
Message 4 of 15
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@ucigrad2011 wrote:

Thanks all!

So your approval was for the Discover/Walmart?

Message 5 of 15
chnceit
Valued Contributor

Sweet starting CL and congrats on the CLI for a new card; 4K starting will absolutely grow in now time. 

Barclay is stingy with starting CL and usually all customer iniciated CLI are HPs.

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 6 of 15
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

You should have asked for a $10k limit!! Lol

Congrats :-)
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 7 of 15
ucigrad2011
Established Member

I know, right!  I would have been happy with $2500, so I was being bold asking for $4k. LOL. Thanks youngandcreditwrthy

Message 8 of 15
ucigrad2011
Established Member

chnceit  - Thanks!  I am very grateful and hubby encouraged me to go for it on the Paypal MC.  $3k!!!!  Time to garden and grow! Smiley Happy
Message 9 of 15
chnceit
Valued Contributor

Every time I ask for a CLI I am always cringing thinking that am I asking for too much LOL Smiley LOL

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.