Established Member
ucigrad2011

Walmart Discover Approval!! And Advice please.

Finally took the plunge and applied for a Walmart card, mainly b/c my TU score is best (809 as of today on myFICO) and I needed another revolving card for the "magic" 3 card mix.

Instant approval was $1900.  I thought, "Cool. That's ok, since my Barclays card is at $2300."  But I decided to be brave (thanks to all of you :smileyhappy: ) and called underwriting.

Asked for and received a $4000 credit line!!  Woohoo!

Since I'm still rebuilding my question is this:  Should I app for another card (Paypal MC is what I'm thinking) or ask Barclays for a CLI to match the Discover once it's reporting.  My EQ is only at 685, so I'm trying to maximize my card mix and garden until we buy another house in 12-18months.

I've had the Barclays card since 11/11.  Started at $1300,  auto cli at 6 months for another $1k.  1 year auto cli didn't happen :smileysad:.   Current utilization is 1% and the only TU inquiry is the one from GE today.

Thanks all!

Frequent Contributor
astritaho1979

Re: Walmart Discover Approval!! And Advice please.

ucigrad2011 wrote:

Finally took the plunge and applied for a Walmart card, mainly b/c my TU score is best (809 as of today on myFICO) and I needed another revolving card for the "magic" 3 card mix.

Instant approval was $1900.  I thought, "Cool. That's ok, since my Barclays card is at $2300."  But I decided to be brave (thanks to all of you :smileyhappy: ) and called underwriting.

Since I'm still rebuilding my question is this:  Should I app for another card (Paypal MC is what I'm thinking) or ask Barclays for a CLI to match the Discover once it's reporting.  My EQ is only at 685, so I'm trying to maximize my card mix and garden until we buy another house in 12-18months.

I've had the Barclays card since 11/11.  Started at $1300,  auto cli at 6 months for another $1k.  1 year auto cli didn't happen :smileysad:.   Current utilization is 1% and the only TU inquiry is the one from GE today.

Thanks all!

i am sorry to hear that.As i was saying here several times that barclays is a very unpredictive lender.I would stay away from them and with your high credit score you should focus on other prime lenders and grow the limits with them.Try Citi bank products and Bank of America.Good luck

COMMERCE BANK PLATINIUM VISA 20K*PAYPAL MC $9.5K*CITI FORWARD $8.5K*PENFED $6,5K*
*LOWES $6K *CMN BANK $5.2K-*PNC $5K*SCLUB DISC. $5K*
WMART DISC.4K*CMN BANK 3.75K*BANK OF AMERICA $3K* MACYS $2.2K*
JCP $1.8*TARGET $0.7K* UTL1%- AAOA 5.5- TOTAL 12 yrs History/
Transunion 718 Equifax 733- Experian 736
Established Member
ucigrad2011

Thanks  astritaho1979.  Not sure what you are sorry about -- Barclays hasn't treated me poorly--but I do appreciate the feedback.

Frequent Contributor
astritaho1979

I was saying sorry to hear that because the barlays card has not been very generous with their limits when the fico score you have is exellent high and you could get most of the prime banks to approve you with 10k start limit

COMMERCE BANK PLATINIUM VISA 20K*PAYPAL MC $9.5K*CITI FORWARD $8.5K*PENFED $6,5K*
*LOWES $6K *CMN BANK $5.2K-*PNC $5K*SCLUB DISC. $5K*
WMART DISC.4K*CMN BANK 3.75K*BANK OF AMERICA $3K* MACYS $2.2K*
JCP $1.8*TARGET $0.7K* UTL1%- AAOA 5.5- TOTAL 12 yrs History/
Transunion 718 Equifax 733- Experian 736
09Lexie

ucigrad2011 wrote:

Thanks all!

So your approval was for the Discover/Walmart?

Valued Contributor
chnceit

Sweet starting CL and congrats on the CLI for a new card; 4K starting will absolutely grow in now time. 

Barclay is stingy with starting CL and usually all customer iniciated CLI are HPs.

$100K in Credit
Last Credit Card App: 11/16/13
Senior Contributor
youngandcreditwrthy

You should have asked for a $10k limit!! Lol

Congrats :-)
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $12.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Arrival $12.7k | Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Established Member
ucigrad2011

I know, right!  I would have been happy with $2500, so I was being bold asking for $4k. LOL. Thanks youngandcreditwrthy

Established Member
ucigrad2011

chnceit  - Thanks!  I am very grateful and hubby encouraged me to go for it on the Paypal MC.  $3k!!!!  Time to garden and grow! :smileyhappy:
Valued Contributor
chnceit

Every time I ask for a CLI I am always cringing thinking that am I asking for too much LOL :smileylol:

$100K in Credit
Last Credit Card App: 11/16/13

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}