cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart Increase - CLI...WOOHOO

tag
DiscoBiscuit

Walmart Increase - CLI...WOOHOO

Sorry to be so long winded on this one but I'm excited.

So I got my Walmart card just a few months ago and it had only a $300 limit which makes it kind of hard to buy anything without having to be constantly paying down the balance. I read a lot about CLI for Walmart and GE cards and there were some anecdotal experiences which seemed to state 4 months but if you called in you might get it sooner. So thinking I had nothing really to lose I called.

Spoke with a gentlemen in a foreign call center who agreed to review my request for, get this.... $3000. I shot high because I figured that he would counter with a lower amount. Plus I thought he wasn't going to approve anyway. I explained that I wanted to buy some appliances but that I wouldn't even be able to at the current limit. He grilled me about recent activity including my many inquiries. I explained to him that I was rebuilding my credit and that though there were a lot of inquiries, not everyone approved me. Also told him that if he checks balances on accts I've had for a while he will see that I don't utilize my cards much but that I'd very greatly like to utilize my walmart to buy a washer and dryer. I also explained that the reason I wanted 3000 was so that I didn't max out my card once I bought the appliances.

He said, "I understand, let me check over your report." He came back twice to ask questions and I fully expected him to reject me. I know from reading these forums that you're not supposed to ask for such big increases. You're supposed to be reasonable, maybe looking to double or triple your CLI. So he returns to the call and says, "congratulations sir I am able to approve you for $1500 dollars." Yes sir ladies and gentleman, 5x increase. I highly recommend that you do not be shy in your request with Walmart and shoot for the stars. You might get pretty close to what you want.

How long have I been a Walmart card holder? 2 months (not even 2 months, more like 55 days).

I called the number for Backdoor Consumer if anyone is interested.

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

Re: Walmart Increase - CLI...WOOHOO

@DiscoBiscuit wrote:

Sorry to be so long winded on this one but I'm excited.

So I got my Walmart card just a few months ago and it had only a $300 limit which makes it kind of hard to buy anything without having to be constantly paying down the balance. I read a lot about CLI for Walmart and GE cards and there were some anecdotal experiences which seemed to state 4 months but if you called in you might get it sooner. So thinking I had nothing really to lose I called.

Spoke with a gentlemen in a foreign call center who agreed to review my request for, get this.... $3000. I shot high because I figured that he would counter with a lower amount. Plus I thought he wasn't going to approve anyway. I explained that I wanted to buy some appliances but that I wouldn't even be able to at the current limit. He grilled me about recent activity including my many inquiries. I explained to him that I was rebuilding my credit and that though there were a lot of inquiries, not everyone approved me. Also told him that if he checks balances on accts I've had for a while he will see that I don't utilize my cards much but that I'd very greatly like to utilize my walmart to buy a washer and dryer. I also explained that the reason I wanted 3000 was so that I didn't max out my card once I bought the appliances.

He said, "I understand, let me check over your report." He came back twice to ask questions and I fully expected him to reject me. I know from reading these forums that you're not supposed to ask for such big increases. You're supposed to be reasonable, maybe looking to double or triple your CLI. So he returns to the call and says, "congratulations sir I am able to approve you for $1500 dollars." Yes sir ladies and gentleman, 5x increase. I highly recommend that you do not be shy in your request with Walmart and shoot for the stars. You might get pretty close to what you want.

How long have I been a Walmart card holder? 2 months (not even 2 months, more like 55 days).

I called the number for Backdoor Consumer if anyone is interested.

Congrats on the big increase!!!....I went from 600-2000 thru UW and now just hit the love butting and went up another 800. Gotta luv GE!

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 2 of 20
DiscoBiscuit

The thing is, they have no reason to love me. I'm a loser with mixed bag credit and a couple of rebuilder cards. He could have given me 0 and I would have understood why. He asked me questions that all the other card companies had asked me, but the difference was that he was human. After hearing, "oh we need to see how you do over the next year" it's nice to hear "congratulations." Such an ego boost even though it shouldn't be.

Message 3 of 20
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 4 of 20
VirtualCuriosity
Established Contributor

WOW. That is sure to help your Utilization percentages.  Great CI. Congrats

TU713, EQ 731 , EX 726 (As of 12/13/14) - Personal Goal = 760

“Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship” – Benjamin Franklin

Gardening since 3-26-15

Message 5 of 20
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@DiscoBiscuit wrote:

I know from reading these forums that you're not supposed to ask for such big increases. You're supposed to be reasonable, maybe looking to double or triple your CLI.

I am not sure where you got that information from, but ignore it. All lenders I know will counter if they cannot grant the requested amount. Always ask for more than you think you will get, otherwise you will get it and feel like you should have asked for me. General Electric seems really easy to get a higher limit with. Go big or go home I always say.

Message 6 of 20
sonson
Regular Contributor

Wow congrats on the approval! and CLI

Starting Score: EQ 548 [ Feb 2010 ]
Current Score: TU 663 EQ 686
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 7 of 20
ObeyJohnny12
Established Contributor

Congrats on the sp cli! Can't wait to ask for one on my paypal card soon.
Wells Fargo Secured - 7k
Opensky - 5k
Rebuilding One Day At A Time.
Message 8 of 20
ttaurean30
Established Member

Congrats!!

Rebuilding since BK Discharge on 09/2006
Gardening Since 02/19/2013
Credit.com (707) Credit Sesame (801) Walmart (709) Credit Karma (688) Quizzle (714)

Message 9 of 20
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

That's a fantastic increase -- congrats!!! Smiley Very Happy

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.