Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart Store to Discover in 7 months

tag
krial
Regular Contributor

Walmart Store to Discover in 7 months

Opened my Walmart store card in July of 2013. Limit was only $400. Three months later the luv button netted me a $150 increase to $550, where it still sits today.

Always buy $150 worth of stuff for the 0% for 6 months and then make minimum payments until it's gone, and then repeat. Never pay interest, always have activity that way.

Today I logged in and was offered to upgrade to the Discover version. Seems like a very short time frame to have been offered the upgrade! Current balance is $74 out of $550.

Transunion FICO from Walmart was 698 as of a week ago, but probably a little lower now because a couple high balances just reported in the last couple of days. I'm such a failure when it comes to payment dates and report dates lol.

Anyway, I accepted the offer -- hopefully it comes with a decent CLI Smiley Happy

Edit: Yep, it did. When I login to my online account it asks me which one I want to log into -- the Walmart card with $550 credit limit, or the Walmart Discover card with $2500 credit limit. I'd call that a decent CLI.

Goal: 800, Current Scores: EX 735, EQ 746, TU 745
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: Walmart Store to Discover in 7 months

Congrats! Thanks for sharing.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 2 of 16
BootStraps
Established Contributor

Congrats!

When you get the card and activate it call the walmart backdoor number and request a CLI. You'll probably get a better one on the phone than with the luv button.

Even if they say no, it's just a soft pull so no harm done. Ask!!!

Starting Score: All Under 590 (8/2011)
Current Score: Ex: 676 Eq: 681 Tu: 683
Goal Score: Ex: 725 Eq: 725 Tu: 725

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Back in the Garden 4/22/16 Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 16
ways2go
Frequent Contributor

Feb.  must be the month for GE to upgrade people to the Walmart Discover.   

Message 4 of 16
krial
Regular Contributor

Looks like my CLI got a bump from $550 to $2500 without me asking. Sure can't complain!

Message 5 of 16
efranklin23
Valued Contributor

@krial wrote:

Opened my Walmart store card in July of 2013. Limit was only $400. Three months later the luv button netted me a $150 increase to $550, where it still sits today.

Always buy $150 worth of stuff for the 0% for 6 months and then make minimum payments until it's gone, and then repeat. Never pay interest, always have activity that way.

Today I logged in and was offered to upgrade to the Discover version. Seems like a very short time frame to have been offered the upgrade! Current balance is $74 out of $550.

Transunion FICO from Walmart was 698 as of a week ago, but probably a little lower now because a couple high balances just reported in the last couple of days. I'm such a failure when it comes to payment dates and report dates lol.

Anyway, I accepted the offer -- hopefully it comes with a decent CLI Smiley Happy

Edit: Yep, it did. When I login to my online account it asks me which one I want to log into -- the Walmart card with $550 credit limit, or the Walmart Discover card with $2500 credit limit. I'd call that a decent CLI.

Congrats on the card!! Keep in mind it does open a new CL though. 

AMEX BCE (30K), DISCOVER IT (29.5K), NFCU CASH REWARDS (25K), BOA TRAVEL REWARDS (15K), USAA VISA (13K), CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE (13K), COMMENCE MASTERCARD (7.5K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), TFCU CC (2.5K), TARGET REDCARD (900)
Message 6 of 16
alvon123
Super Contributor

congrats

Message 7 of 16
krial
Regular Contributor

@efranklin23 wrote:

Congrats on the card!! Keep in mind it does open a new CL though. 

I had read conflicting information where one person said it was an entirely new trade line and another said that it took your open date of the store card, so to err on the side of caution I assumed it would be an entirely fresh trade line.

The good part is that my Walmart store card was only 7 months old to start with though, so I'm not losing a great deal of age by upgrading now anyway. Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 16
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

Congratulations!

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 9 of 16
aubie1kenobie2
Frequent Contributor

Congrats!

Starting Score: No credit history in July 2013, 663 in August (lender pulled)
Current Score: 773 (Discover FICO), 749 (DCU EQ)
Ultimate goal: Buy a house in 2016!
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.