Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart card upgrade

tag
tonyjones
Valued Contributor

Re: Walmart card upgrade

The MC line will be the same CL as what you have your Walmart Store Card as. It's not going to be a different amount.

Current Fico Scores: (December 2023)
Message 21 of 77
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Was it an offer to upgrade or did they simply just upgrade it?

I ask because I was offered an upgrade when it was the Discover version of it and declined.  I declined because it would have reported as a new account and the regular account would have been closed, thus affecting my AAoA.  I did not want that to happen at that time.  There was a bit of talk about Sychrony doing it that way in the past, don't know why they did it that way, but that is just how they did it.  Has the policy changed and would the account now keep the original opening date?

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 22 of 77
DantGwyrdd
Frequent Contributor

@TiggerDat wrote:

[...]

Has the policy changed and would the account now keep the original opening date?

I got the same mailer in the mail yesterday and this is precisely what I've been wondering about since the wording IMHO doesn't seem to go either way (I've been chosen for the upgrade or somesuch).

Message 23 of 77
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got nothing in the mail yesterday or the day before to the people in this thread, how long have you had your store cards, is your credit health the same or significantly better than when Walmart was opened? I recently opened two synchrony gas cards and got the visa version instead of the regular one so I would like to think I have hope for Walmart upgrade
Message 24 of 77
DantGwyrdd
Frequent Contributor

I've had mine since 2012 and the major change is that I had a fairly thin file at the time (my oldest card at the time was less than a year old) whereas I have a much thicker file now (miltiple cards, car loan, oldest card open for 4 years...). I also recently closed my Synch/Amazon card, but I doubt that has anything to do with it. My FICO's also been fairly steady for a while now humming around in the 710-720 area depending on how much usage gets reported.

Message 25 of 77
Anonymous
Not applicable

@supercreditgirl13 wrote:
Just received a letter in the mail that my walmart store card is being upgraded to the mastercard! I have had the store card since November '14. I use it regularly and pay in full each month. Started with a $700 limit. Now up to 3k. Not worried about the limit too much because i can't think of anything I could buy in wally world for half that! It was a nice surprise too simply because I never thought I'd be switched.

Cool!! so this is for the walmart card that doesnt have the visa logo on it?

Message 26 of 77
Anonymous
Not applicable

Surprise letter from Synchrony involving my Walmart Store Card!

So I received a letter today, it stated that my Walmart Store Card was being upgraded to the Walmart Mastercard! I was so excited, but come to find out I have to wait until October 16-18th before it's mailed out! But it will be my highest limit credit card at $5000, but the kind representative told me that I should expect an increase in my credit limit once I receive the store card. Has this been the case for anybody else? I was thinking they'd cut the limit??

Message 27 of 77
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Surprise letter from Synchrony involving my Walmart Store Card!

There were a few others yesterday I believe talking about getting the same letter for the upgrade. I haven't yet, but hopefully one day I will.

Message 28 of 77
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Surprise letter from Synchrony involving my Walmart Store Card!

@Anonymous wrote:

So I received a letter today, it stated that my Walmart Store Card was being upgraded to the Walmart Mastercard! I was so excited, but come to find out I have to wait until October 16-18th before it's mailed out! But it will be my highest limit credit card at $5000, but the kind representative told me that I should expect an increase in my credit limit once I receive the store card. Has this been the case for anybody else? I was thinking they'd cut the limit??

Congrats!    Hopefully, I get a letter in today's mail, too.

People often receive a CLI as a result of an upgrade with Sync.   However, there have a few limited reports of CLD(!).   I'm going to say that the odds are good of a CLI, but it's definitely YMMV.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 29 of 77
myjourney
Super Contributor

@TiggerDat wrote:

I ask because I was offered an upgrade when it was the Discover version of it and declined.  I declined because it would have reported as a new account and the regular account would have been closed, thus affecting my AAoA.  I did not want that to happen at that time.  There was a bit of talk about Sychrony doing it that way in the past, don't know why they did it that way, but that is just how they did it.  Has the policy changed and would the account now keep the original opening date?

No the policy is still it will be a new TL

I too declined the offer last year for the Discover version and got another one yesterday for the Mc version which I declined again 

At the bottom of the letter it states that it will be an new account

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 30 of 77
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.