Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure

Established Member

Re: What is up with NAVY giving low CL CC these days?

donny10 wrote:

kilroy8 wrote:

I have to say that Navy Federal is a financial institution that I find way too scary to do business with. I see the crazy high limits posted for people with average income and low credit scores, along with some of the BK hits posted on them around here - and I wonder how they pass their Federal audits. I think they are at a high risk of insolvency, based on what I have seen. They need to tighten up a whole lot, and do some balance chasing on some folks. Just my thoughts.

How many times has NFCU declined you?

I have never applied for anything with NFCU, although I am a veteran and could easily.

"Nobody had a credit card when I was a kid. No one had credit card debt. But these big companies and banks wanted to know how to get more money out of people - get them charging things." - Michael Moore

I'm so glad i squeezed in when i did. I opened a $5. savings account, waited a few weeks then applied for Platinum. I GOT $18K! I'm Tickled! Told my Hubby, he applies and gets $24K!! Waiting for MY bump. Turns out I STILL have (3) 4-year old lates and a 3-year old baddie that has come back to haunt me that I now have my lawyer on! LOVE NFCU!

NFCU Visa Platinum $18K,Citi Simplicity $7.4K,PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature® $7K,PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards Visa $5K,PenFed Gold Visa $5K, Amazon Chase $4K,Overstock.com $4K,Wayfair $3.5K,Capital One Platinum Mastercard $3K,Nordstrom $2.5K,Walmart/Sync $1.4K,PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards Visa® $1K,Jeromes $1K,Ashley Furniture $1K,Mathis Brothers $1K,Chevron $700.,Sam's Club $700., +6 more $500 cards

FICO 8 09/15/2017 TU 701, EQ 686, EXP 675 AAoA 1.3 years ?
Valued Contributor

Navy isn't anywhere near, insolvency 😒

They are the biggest CU in the world, by far....

Ppl sometimes hear the term Credit Union and they only invasion the 'cute' local place
Valued Contributor

Sorry envision the decent size couple million dollar CU or a regional few Billion dollar joint but NFCU can fund a few small countries, their pockets are ok....

Especially, when one considers their consumer base minus the huge brick n mortar NON investment to reach that size and have the loan portfolio etc they have compared to what banks and other institutions had to spent just on rent & mortgages, let along advertising and labor....

Again Navy didn't need or have to build credibility, they had built in credibility and trust from Day one, when bled into the private sector no fuss no muss....and boom never looked back
New Contributor

Kiljoy-
I applied for CC's at NFCU and Penfed in July. Penfed approved me for 2k and Navy declined me. I have had a Cap1 QS with a 15k limit since April. My TU FICO score was about 705 at the time I think. Bk dc 7/2015. I applied and got NFCU's securred card instead. So based on my experience NFCU is no pushover.
Contributor

NFCU has been around since the 1930's.

Valued Contributor

If you ask me to borrow money, i will only let you borrow a small amount until i get to know you, specially if you have a not so good record.  If your record shows otherwise, i might let you borrow a bit more. 

CLs are given based on your credit profile and internal scoring. I'm sure your friend will get nice CLIs if he/she shows responsability with the card Smiley Happy

Frequent Contributor

The positive thing about NFCU, even if they give you low SL, you can get good amount of CLI after 90 days as long as your reports look good like low utilization etc.
FICO 8: TU-787 EX-768 EQ-757 Total Credit Limit: $647,750
Valued Member
0 Kudos

I'm not sure that's necessarily true.  I've been with NFCU for less than a year, and I just opened a second card with them today and they gave me a 20K SL on instant approval.  That's in addition to my other 2 lines in my info below.  Data points below as well.

EQ-679 TU-712 EX 654 // Barclay Apple Rewards Visa - $1150 / BOA Platinum MC Secured - $500 / Chase Southwest Platinum Visa - $4000 / Overstock - $3800 (SCT) / Wayfair - $2800 (SCT) / PenFed Plat Cash Rewards Visa - $5000 / NFCU cashRewards Visa Signature- $22000 / NFCU CLOC - $15000 / Citi Secured - $300 / AMEX BCE - $2000 / AMEX ED - $2800 / Chase Amazon VS - $4000
Valued Contributor

maestro07 wrote:
The positive thing about NFCU, even if they give you low SL, you can get good amount of CLI after 90 days as long as your reports look good like low utilization etc.

That's what I'm hoping for--I just got approved early this morning for $5K--I'm hoping I can at least get it up to $15K when I'm eligible for my first CLI.

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.